Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a tid bit of info because certain posters "yoyoyo mainly" are knocking Toyota about the plastic quality. First off if I was Toyota I would tell the wieners get lost and come back in a few months. But either way here is some insight on how the preproduction plastics work. The designers can design the interior plastics and have rapid prototypes made in their facility in a matter of hours. One of the popular processes for rapid prototypes is SLA (Stereo lithography), just think of it as a really expensive 3D printer. The process basically is a laser shooting into resin and hardening that part layer by layer until the part is finished. The plastic looks great and is moderately durable but very susceptible to scratches and does not last like regular ABS plastic.

How stuff works:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/stereolith2.htm

I for one am glad that Toyota is willing to show us their work in progress instead of waiting months until the final production vehicle is done and at the dealers.

Next what some posters may not realize is the time required to tool all the molds needed to make this or any vehicle. Each part has its own metal mold cut and tested and fine tuned so that each part can be quickly and cost effectively made. The tooling process involves cutting a 3D mold of whatever part you want made out of a solid piece of metal. I think that a car manufacture usually takes months to get all the tools (molds) made.

I have been happy with my past and current Toyota interior parts so I’m not sure why some think that they have “lost it on this one” and are going to churn out a cheapo interior. Let’s give their reputation a chance and figure they will stick to the usual no frills/ functional interior they have promised. I get the feeling that some have not planned on getting this vehicle and want to validate their decision to the online world, great but wait to judge the final product.

I hope people do keep knocking the colors so that they don’t mini-van-chick-van this thing to the point that it becomes popular with the soccermommallcrusiertredieters.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
lack of rear leg room and the blind spot were the killers for me. i know this is pre-production material. and if the production material is better then great for those who will be happy with the truck. as u say see how it is once the final product comes out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree. I have kids also and the lack of rear leg room does me in. I guess I will wait for the new 4 door jeep ( too bad, I really wanted a Toyota).

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
yoyoyo said:
lack of rear leg room and the blind spot were the killers for me. i know this is pre-production material. and if the production material is better then great for those who will be happy with the truck. as u say see how it is once the final product comes out.
rear leg room will be my sticking point. also why i havent bothered to put down a deposit yet. will be awfully difficult to convince my wife to let me go forward with it if there's no room back there. crossing fingers - my kids are small still so....

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Look, I'm 6'2" and there was WAY more legroom in the FJ then just about any other vehicle that I have looked at. I was wicked impressed and now that the woman has given me the go ahead. I am all over the FJ. I might not even have to wait. Put the name in with the local dealer on Friday.

This truck rocks and I can't wait to get mine.

·
Registered
258 Posts
it sucks for the people who wont own one because of the legroom, i know, after reading just about every post on this site that alot of them love the truck, but it just wont work out cause of the space.....who knows? maybe a LWB FJcruiser is in the works for the family transporting wheelers.

then, at least you wont have to go Jeep :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
back on Topic....
Thanks for saying it Mappleman, That is exactly how the interior plastics are made. The interior will be very different once the texture is decided and applied to the mold.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Good report on the pre-production plastics. I figured it didn't have to be said to a room full of enthusiasts. But, when looking at this thing - no matter where you are - until it officially comes out from Toyota. There are items that will look different when the production model is ready. We are really looking at a working model with certain things still being decided upon by the corporate big-wigs.

Pre-production plastics aside, this thing rocks.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
yoyoyo said:

Great more FJ's for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

PS Toyota generally have the best product interiors plastics of major auto manufactures. Check out the nisson titan if you want to see cheap plastics

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mabbelman, great post. I've been reading and perusing this forum for months now and still cannot believe people keep on rehashing old news. I read it was confirmed the plastics on these vehicles were indeed pre-production and the production models will definitely be Toyota grade. And I was, also, at the Greenville event when Jennifer, Toyota's marketing rep, made the announcement to verify the production plastic will be made w/the usual grainy material. As for the rear seat room, I'm 5'8" and had more than enough room. Of course, I don't plan on being in the rear so that's a dead issue. But I'll be waiting for the flat green (shown at SEMA) and a turbo diesel. For the diesel crowd, I spoke to the Toyota marketing rep, Bill Burke, Marv Specter, and a couple of the other Toyota people about offering a diesel option so I hope it didn't go on deaf ears.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
reran said:
Mabbelman, great post. I've been reading and perusing this forum for months now and still cannot believe people keep on rehashing old news. I read it was confirmed the plastics on these vehicles were indeed pre-production and the production models will definitely be Toyota grade. And I was, also, at the Greenville event when Jennifer, Toyota's marketing rep, made the announcement to verify the production plastic will be made w/the usual grainy material. As for the rear seat room, I'm 5'8" and had more than enough room. Of course, I don't plan on being in the rear so that's a dead issue. But I'll be waiting for the flat green (shown at SEMA) and a turbo diesel. For the diesel crowd, I spoke to the Toyota marketing rep, Bill Burke, Marv Specter, and a couple of the other Toyota people about offering a diesel option so I hope it didn't go on deaf ears.

Unfortunately all we can do is rehash old crap - that is unless you have a stockpile of information we don't have yet...

In which case...we will have to beat it out of you... MUHUHAHAHAHA. Ok kidding, but we've rehashed everything so many times the only excitement left is offending republicans and photochopping new color ideas.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Percy said:
Unfortunately all we can do is rehash old crap - that is unless you have a stockpile of information we don't have yet...

In which case...we will have to beat it out of you... MUHUHAHAHAHA. Ok kidding, but we've rehashed everything so many times the only excitement left is offending republicans and photochopping new color ideas.

Thanks Percy for saying what I've been thinking the last couple of weeks. THERE IS NOTHING NEW TO TALK ABOUT TILL OFFICIAL PRICING COMES OUT !!!

Oh wait. I thought of something... How many lug nuts are going to be on the wheels..... :eek: (please no one answer that....)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
C'mon pricing...

·
Registered
378 Posts
I don't want to dwell on this, but you would think that this pre-plastic crap eveyone is talking about would not be at these little events. I would expect a finished product regardless if the vehicle comes out in 3 months.

I don't see why the texture can't be applied to the mold now for people to get a feel for what the finished product will look like.

Honda did the same with the Ridgline and if you didn't know what pre-poduction palstic was, you would have been in for a real shock. The pre-plastic was different shades of black and gray. Horrible !!!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Honestly, I am so excited about the FJ the interior could be all styrofoam and I would still want it. This truck is simply awesome. I wish they were completely done and ready to go, RIGHT NOW. But since they aren't - we are noticing small differences. If you look at the SEMA pics, there was no little "ramp-up" in the back cargo area. At Greenville, there was. I think they are fine tuning the small stuff before this thing is released. I would bet that they haven't even chosen a texture for the interior yet. That's probably why it's still pre-production plastic. Wouldn't blow you away if they coated the ENTIRE interior - except for the painted panels - with a rhinoliner or duraliner type material? I mean, I think they really want this vehicle to be the next big offroad machine and they have to take certain precautions to ensure that they are still targeting the enthusiasts and not the soccer moms.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Percy,

I honestly think you are going to end up breaking into a Toyota Factory and stealing one before they are released :D

I'm feeling your pain though. There are so many after-market things I would like to do, that I don't care if I got one stripped down to the chasis..

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm with ya... now about your plan to break in and get them early....

Got any experience with explosives?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Percy what are you hearing from your dealer on delivery. I was just thinking that California residents might actually have an advantage. If they are for some reason selling more units in Cal why don't people just buy them here and drive them back. If could get this rig a month or two earlier I sure would drive out.

A second thought is California has a thing about setting car trends, ie Calty was chosen for a reason and I think it had something to being imbedded in the California culture. Also it's sort of a test market for the US market sort of along the "if you can’t sell something in Peoria" thing. I remember the low rider/ Honda rice rocket thing it really started out here and depending on your opinion spread like the flu to Middle America. Not sure where I was going with this..... Oh yeah if there is any validity to California receiving more FJ's than some areas I would be more than happy to talk to my dealer and see if they would take reservation from out of staters. It may just end up being a 2 FJ per dealer thing regardless.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Honestly our local dealers have less information about this truck than anyone else I have talked to. They didn't have production numbers, they have no information, and they didn't even know whether or not they could take names for a waiting list. I asked about a deposit and was told that they aren't even taking deposits until they have pricing on it. So.... needless to say, the only part of the conversation with the dealer that was entertaining was correcting all the BS that kept spraying out of his mouth every time he opened it. Everytime he opened it - I stuck my foot in it - covered with information that we have been sharing on the forum for months now. Truly, the dealers seem to be entirely clueless.

He even mentioned that the FJ would not be selling at MSRP but at "market value" which is what happened with the Prius. He backpedalled real fast when I told him we already have three dealers that have promised us MSRP. Then it became, "we can probably do that...."

I swear... dealing with dealers really saps my hopes for humanity. It's too bad that they can't sell this truck online. Maybe a little FJ site where you can start with your basic FJ, deck it out the way you want it and have it delivered by Toyota to your door step. It would be WAY COOL to be able to cut the shmucks out of the whole situation and get what we want without the BS attached.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My dealer had 5 deposits so far and has locked in 5 FJ for initial shipment. What a cool dealer, SHE by the way new quite a bit about the vehicle was actually not giving away all the details. At first the front counter folks were the usually I work here but don't actually know what Toyota sells crowd. I think she might be the head honcho but anyways I'll ask about it tomorrow. She basically said the first wave was going to have somewhat of an advantage since she was expecting about 2 per month after that. I really think finding the right dealer can make all the difference.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts