Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Which type of FJ build do you prefer?

• Stock rocks! Keeping it factory built.

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • Overland build, home is where you park it.

Votes: 27 21.3%
  • Weekend warrior build. Still a daily driver but 33s and a 3" lift will take you far!

Votes: 73 57.5%
  • Crawler build, long travel and 35s with beadlocks reign here!

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Solid Axle Swap Build, where we're going we don't need roads!

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mall Crawler Build. 6" lift with 22" wheels and never touched dirt. We're still talking FJs right?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baja Build. Wide long travel, fiberglass fenders, 80 mph through the desert!

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I named my FJ Lakandula, a 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser TTUE - my dream off-road truck. I would like to maintain its character as an Ultimate Edition and therefore maintain it as stock as much as possible.

On a case to case basis, I will invest on what I call 'minimal & gradual' mod objective. Meaning, I won't defeat the purpose of Lakandula as it is, but would like to have it protected from trail runs, and on a selective basis enhance it's performance. He's also my daily driver & family adventure ride.

So, I guess it would fall under a Weekend Warrior style of 'moding' or build.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Overland here. Not intended for beating...just taking us camping and exploring off the beaten path.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
I'm another in WW category. I was happy with it stock and then I went back to Moab for the first time in 4 years after Ouray in 2008 and was bitten by the bug again. I also went up and down a ledge putting two holes in the front and two in the rear bumper. When I got home I had a bunch of money from a lot of overtime I had been working and decided to go for and do some mods to help with the clearance, function, and looks. This was the first vehicle that I'd owned and done a lot of stuff too. Within a couple of months I had front and rear bumper, winch, lights, cb/Bandi mount/antenna, full skids, sliders, seat covers, Tuffy drawer, suspension, dual battery, and some extra 12v outlets installed along with new tires. Then a year later I got the swing out tire carrier. It was my only vehicle and daily driver. I took it on a lot of dirt roads in the area, went to places in UT and CO, and loved it.

·
Desert Moderator
6,077 Posts
Question, what about running high speed at desert/sand dune with long travel, but not racing (excuse for my lack of terms).

Don't think that's a weekend warrior, but that's what I'd like to do it to mine.
I do high speed desert/dunes with regular air with stock arms etc. Only upgraded springs, shocks, & front bump stops. Works just fine.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
I can't speak for the other US states, but here in Colorado a weekend warrior build -- 3" + 33's + armor in all the right spots -- will take you on every trail you want to go on that isn't an ~8+ difficulty on TrailDamage with a high risk of body damage. Meaning, every trail but the top 12-13 hardest in the state, 9 of which are less than 2 miles long and made for buggies anyway.

My first year here I spent most of a great summer day witnessing Chuck Wells of Funtreks fame on Chinaman Gulch demonstrate some amazing offroad talent in a TJ Wrangler would look stock next to most of our trucks. You can see it here behind @FJess 's truck before it got put on steroids :rofl::

Unremarkable, right? No 6-inch lift, no 35's. Just some regular BFG's and a guy who wheels for a living, on TrailDamage Trail #1 that is as standard of a 5/6 difficulty trail as I've ever seen.

Point being, most of our trucks are overbuilt for what we do with them, which is fine :rofl: but I'd rather not stand out from the crowd and still keep up, and imagine (a guy can dream!) that the rest of you are thinking "damn that JB can drive" :rocker:

(edit: fixed image link)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Rock crawler for me. Originally was going to settle with an Ironman lift. Then I started researching LT and got more and more addicted to the stance and articulation you can gain. Total Chaos +2 will happen one day with some Radflos in the front. MT LT rear. For now though, I'm trying to beef up everything else. Hopefully a full set of Bud Built skids can happen this summer. Once my clutch wears out, I'll get a heavier fly wheel too. Suspension seats would top it all off. A guy can dream right? :grin

·
Registered
9 Posts
As my rig sits now, it's a WW But I just got it not even 2 weeks ago, But I have plans for it as soon as I sell my Tacoma. I am planning on Camburg L/T front, MetalTech L/T rear, full skids, upgraded sliders, Replace my M/T front winch bumper with a Demello single hoop, lights, re-gear to 4.56s and 35s. Along with a little storage, on-board air, CB, cooler ect...I want it to be able to do a bit of everything but doesn't have to be the best at anything.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Mine is a mix of weekend warrior, but the ultimate goal of overlanding.
Most of my mods started out with the "First $2000" thread, to get me there and back... Then I started hitting the trails with the fine folks here in the DFW area and added the lift, etc.

I still drive it daily, but I like to wheel when I can and like to get out to the middle of nowhere when possible.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
I purchased my FJ in November 2007 and used it for my daily driver until I retired in 2011. In 2008 I removed my back seats and built a platform. During that time, we took it camping to various locations around the country. In the winter of 2013, I purchased a Baja Rack and an Autohome Roof Top Tent. Then came the Fridge, second battery and better a better storage system of equipment. My FJ has dings, dents and pinstripes to illustrate the backcountry camping capability. I want my FJ to last as long as possible so I avoid pushing it to the limits, even though I know that it is more than capable (2007s are known for fender bulging). We are taking a five week camping trip this summer to the Pacific Northwest. Our goal is see all of the National Parks before we die (or they are defunded sold off to the highest bidder by President Trump). The FJ is a very capable vehicle for a wide variety of options of use. For me it is the perfect overlanding vehicle and I am looking forward to the next ten years of adventure.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts