Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
FYI,

Regarding fitting the X-axis retrofit kit to older SPC arms.

https://www.spcalignment.com/partFAQ/25022_FAQ.pdf

Q1: Can I use the 25022 xAxis™ retrofit kit on all #25470 and #25480
control arms.

A1: This retrofit kit will fit most of the #25470 and #25480 control arms since the
original release back in 2008, but there are a few that this kit will not fit. The
arms this bushing kit WILL NOT fit are the first series of arms using the
SpecRide™ style bushing. These few arms had a different bushing end ring
inner diameter.

If your control arm had original rubber bushings AND/OR you upgraded from
rubber to SpecRide™ bushings this kit WILL work.

If your arm came with SpecRide™ style bushing AND has an outside end
ring diameter of 57.2mm (2.25”), this kit WILL NOT work.

If your arms came with SpecRide™ style bushings AND the outside end ring
diameter is 58.8mm (2.31”), this kit WILL work for you.

If your arms currently have xAxis™ style bushing and they need to be
replaced, refer to the website for the xAxis™ rebuild kit.

To measure the end rings use calipers around the outside of the bushing
housing. This can be done on the vehicle.
Most arms work with this kit. If you do have arms like example #2 please call
SPC customer service at 1-800-525-6505

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,759 Posts
Nah those are definitely the spec-ride urethane bushings. You can even see they included the silicone grease for the sleeves in those silver packets. Same bushings I have.
Interesting...did not remember that about the silicone grease in silver packets. Thanks for chiming in! So @Lee you have the squealing poly bushings and all the more reason to get xAxis bushings now :wink

·
Registered
741 Posts
Interesting...did not remember that about the silicone grease in silver packets. Thanks for chiming in! So @Lee you have the squealing poly bushings and all the more reason to get xAxis bushings now :wink
True true about the groan, in fact I just bought more grease to re-grease mine. :mecry:

Lee, want to have a bushing party? I want to change mine to the X-axis too. :ninja:

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
Dang, another item on my todo list.. :grin

Well.... So much for that idea..
I guess that means the bushing party is out for now. :wink

I'll have to listen for that 'groan'. Turn my hearing aids up a bit I guess.

Where did you measure? Where the arrow is pointing?

I did save that info to a text file and printed it. Maybe I'll be able to find it later.

ucapoint.jpg

·
Registered
741 Posts
Dang, another item on my todo list.. :grin

I guess that means the bushing party is out for now. :wink

I'll have to listen for that 'groan'. Turn my hearing aids up a bit I guess.

Where did you measure? Where the arrow is pointing?

I did save that info to a text file and printed it. Maybe I'll be able to find it later.

View attachment 1097814
Yes, measure the outside diameter of the bushing housing. There's a good chance your set might be compatible, I've had mine on there for quite a while so not surprised they are the older variety. They originally came with the spec-ride bushings, but also with the older non-greasable ball joints as well.

FWIW, I only notice them making the sound over deep low speed compressions like speed bumps. I'm still going to pull them and re-grease for now, i'm willing to bet the sound comes from where the face of the bushing interfaces with the washers. Nothing some lube shouldn't take care of temporarily.

What i'd really like to know is how these things doubled in price over the last few years! :flame:

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,759 Posts

I think it’s still worth a call to the SPC tech support and ask about fitment. They’re very helpful and may have suggestions about both measuring and fitment. You jogged my memory about taking measurements for them, but do not recall what instructions they gave me. GL

For the squealing I found “Break Away” spray worked pretty well.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think it’s still worth a call to the SPC tech support and ask about fitment. They’re very helpful and may have suggestions about both measuring and fitment. You jogged my memory about taking measurements for them, but do not recall what instructions they gave me. GL

For the squealing I found “Break Away” spray worked pretty well.
I actually just got some extra tubes of the grease that came with my superpro bushings. It's a fair bit heavier than the stuff that came with the SPCs. I've actually never re-lubed the SPC bushings since installed, probably should have been doing that annually with my driving habits. :cowfrown:

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,759 Posts
I actually just got some extra tubes of the grease that came with my superpro bushings. It's a fair bit heavier than the stuff that came with the SPCs. I've actually never re-lubed the SPC bushings since installed, probably should have been doing that annually with my driving habits. :cowfrown:
I did ask the SPC engineers about re-lubing the inner sleeves and they said no, not necessary as it’s pretty well sealed in there. I remember questioning that and was assured the initial lube at install was enough. They also emphasized to be careful to NOT get any grease on the outer bushing surface that’s in contact with the metal, as there is not supposed to be any movement between those surfaces. It is exactly THAT I did not understand when I installed zerks....and caused the bushings to fail - outer lip sheared off and started to slide right out of the arm! One in Moab and the other at Summit, of course (in ‘18). So DO NOT lube anything other than the innermost metal sleeve, folks :mecry:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
What i'd really like to know is how these things doubled in price over the last few years! :flame:
Everything has changed...bushings, forged arm, balljoints

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

I vote for what @debFJVT said.....I'm interested to see what they say given that at the bottom of the tech bulletin you posted it says:

"Most arms work with this kit. If you do have arms like example #2 please call SPC customer service at 1-800-525-6505."

Im curious what their answer is for those arms with 2.25" bushing diameter...tough luck?....they'll replace with new arms with 2.31" diameter? Gotta be a solution if they want people to call about that problem. Surely their answer won't be....glad you called so that I can inform you ....you are SOL.

I suspect that is what I have (2.25" bushing outside dia) but will need to accurately measure to confirm.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
So was checking out rig today after a rough outing and low and behold the bushings on the left control arm have play. This is the second set of bushings on these arms and now I'm looking at upgrading to the Xaxis bushings to hopefully alleviate this problem. To say I'm pi$$ed is an understatement. $500.00 for the arms, new balljoints at $200.00, $50.00 for replacement bushings and now having to upgrade to these bushing at another $250.00 really has soured me on these control arms and this companies quality standards. All the installs were done by me and I followed the companies install and specs when doing it so that isn't the issue. I hope this will be the last upgrade I have to do to my upgraded control arms. Also this is not my daily driver and I put about 7000 miles on it a year so they are not exposed to road salt and high mileage driving.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts