Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, is Premium gas really necessary to always put in your FJ? This is the only Toyota that I've ever seen post this requirement, and I so far have been abiding to it, bit I'm wondering if it is a requirement or more of a suggestion. I know BMWs and other higher ends always post the same thing, but I've come to realize that for most it's just overkill and unneeded. Yet on some, especially classics cars, Premium is in fact needed due to the motors being higher compression. Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject, and know which category the FJ fits into? Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
No it is not necessary or required but its "recommended."

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Search.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
i`ve been running middle grade for 4 1/2 years . Toyota even said that middle grade was fine.

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
Premium was "recommended" NOT required for the '07-'09's to get peak HP and TQ but RUL was perfectly fine to use. Toyota even put out a statement about it because folks/salespeople don't seem to know the difference "recommended" and "required".

The '10-11 FJ say REGULAR fuel.

·
Registered
460 Posts
HAHAHAHHAHA.... Search TROLL!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Only required with a supercharger. Also get used to people posting about using the search function. It seems to be a usual post on this site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ran our fj with 87 since we got it 90k miles now.

personally i use 91 on any car. it just helps the engine run a little more efficient. worth it for me. but i didnt fill up the tank of the fj. haha.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Please, Go to the 'Engine Performance' section of this Forum. As of today, at least five of the first 20 threads are concerning fuel. Lot's of interesting reading with plenty of disagreement. It depends on who you want to believe.

Just to stir the pot, from reading a half dozen threads on fuel, it appears the 2007-2009 were set up to run on 91 and the advertised HP and Torque figures reflect the use of 91. They will run on 87, but supposedly with a loss of performance.
Also, a poster recently e-mailed Toyota and they said to use 91 in the 2007-2009 due to emissions. If you didn't use 91 it could negatively effect emissions.
Not that the 2007-09 can't run fine on 87, I guess it's just an Al Gore thing I don't understand.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
This will be a never ending debate. There are "experts" in both camps, Scientific studies supporting the claims of both camps, mechanics who swear by either one and lets not forget about the ol'relaible butt dyno.

This is one of those areas as grown adults we have to read, explore and find what we can and make a decision makes us feel "right"(for a lack of a better word).

There is no right or wrong.

Let your conscience be your guide.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, it's not necessary. The higher Octane there is in gas, the more power you get out of it, but in turn, it burns faster. So essentially you are paying for, for less (Unless power over fuel efficiency is what you are going for. In that case, pick Premium.)

I am pretty sure by law, all automotives are suppose to be able to use all forms of gasoline without any major problems.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts