Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 08' TT... Is it necessary to put Premium gas in these trucks...? It says this on the gas cap and in the manual... What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I just got a 08' TT... Is it necessary to put Premium gas in these trucks...? It says this on the gas cap and in the manual... What are your thoughts?
lots of controversy on this many run 87,89,90,91,93. i personally like the 93 tried them all, so no you do not have to but there is a difference in performance, gas mileage is improved at higher octane also.. hope this opens the can of worms for you.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Do a search on the forum. Lots of past discussion on this topic.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
My FJ has Cruised very nicely for 18,OOO miles up here in Nor-Cal and I run 87 octain fuel.

I do put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner about every 2,OOO miles because I care.

Let's face it, 87 octain gas that's $3.84 a gallon x say 1O gallons AS A REFERENCE = $38,4O compaired to 91 octain gas thats $4.O5 a gallon is $4O.5O... Is the $2.1O difference worth peace of mind?
I say no.......run low octain

B

·
0 Posts
Ive been running 87 SoCal gas since I bought the truck and get about 19mpg.

-B

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I actually get better gas mileage with the mid grade - 89 - than with premuim....0verall average for 89 is 19.8 abd for 91 it is 18.7.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
I guess maybe the "Search" feature is broken?

DEWFPO

·
Registered
834 Posts
i run 93 for a couple of reasons 1. peace of mind. 2. 5 dollar per tank difference is really not that big of a deal to me. 3. 91 is 2 cents cheaper than 93 so why not put 93 in it. 4. You won't get the full toyota feeling if you don't.

Last one was a joke.:lol::lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
i run 93 for a couple of reasons 1. peace of mind. 2. 5 dollar per tank difference is really not that big of a deal to me. 3. 91 is 2 cents cheaper than 93 so why not put 93 in it. 4. You won't get the full toyota feeling if you don't.

Last one was a joke.:lol::lol::lol:
Dude, I don't think you were joking. We only have 91 in my area. I would put 93 in there and be stoked with what you called, "the full Toyota feeling"!!!!!

·
Registered
834 Posts
no i got that off another thread forget which one. I just put 93 in it because i always have plus i have a 1990 supra that i put 93 in so i guess its just habit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I go back and forward with high and low octane gas. The performance is better with higher octane, but while doing cross country trips I use low octane since I am not reving the car too much as compared when you are on the trail.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Is going back and forth a good idea? I mean, shouldn't we stick with an octane level and stick with it? I have no idea, it just makes sense to me since the computer has to "figure it out" and adjust timing (????) for the anti-knock stuff it has built in? This is just my guess and has no merit, other than a gut feeling. It's similar to the theory that it will take a little while after changing intake/exhaust before you actually see any change in performance other than sound... Everything needs to adjust, I guess. I may be completely off my rocker.... set me straight... stay low or go high all the time or vary the octane?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've got about 3400 miles on my wife's FJ and it's almost all been on 91 octane. We tried lower and got less MPG.

The cost difference, maybe $2-3 per tank isn't a concern. I smoke more $$$ than that in a cigar.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I run 93 oct, I had my STi and my motorcycle I'm just used to putting it in.:cheers: Plus i tried the mid grade and got worse gas mileage. PSS it just didnt feel right not to give my baby nothing but the best :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ran premium for the first 4 months I owned my FJ. I drive mostly city and averaged 18.1 mpg. A technical service bulletin came out saying that 87 was acceptable so I switched to that about 2 months ago. My mileage is now ---- 18.1 mpg city.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I filled up today with 87 octane, been using 87 octane all along (6800 miles now).

I got 348 miles on 17.5 gallons.

19.8 MPG ain't too shabby.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts