Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

I was looking forward to getting rid of my luxo gas mobile. Is this required or recomended fuel? Thanks trollhole for the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
mappelman said:
:( I was looking forward to getting rid of my luxo gas mobile. Is this required or recomended fuel? Thanks trollhole for the pictures.
Yeah, me too. I'll be really disappointed if premium is required, although I don't think it is on the Tacoma or 4Runner so maybe we'll be OK.

Jason

·
Registered
132 Posts
They will probably sugest premium, but modern engines can be fueled with a lower grade because the computers are able to make adjustments and allow the engine to run fine on 87 octane. Though if you will be pushing the engine hard from towing or four wheeling for example it is probably best to use premium fuel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
mpd8488 is right! And you should loose about 10% horse power but you won't even notice that on the road and a couple of miles per gallon when using 87 octane.

They use premium to get the best gas mileage for their records. All fleet models' performance is sumed up when submitting to the government by category; car, truck, etc..., so the premium gives them a little bump on each model.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My taste buds I eat Porterhouse steaks, but my wallet opted for Ribeyes.....

Same with my vehicles. They can recomend the premium **** but we know better.... I have never had vehicle trouble with 'regular' gas...

·
Registered
99 Posts
in the 4runner and tacoma V-6's, not to mention the new avalon, toyota recommends regular unleaded with an octane rating of 87. they also state right on the back of the owners manual's, "for improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended."

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
It might be cheaper to run 87 octane and then a bottle of octane booster. Besides they don't specify how much of a higher octane is still acceptable and I'm bettin' that you would have serious long-term issues if you ran 110 Low Lead every tank. I asked the Head Technical Trainer about that at the after party from SEMA. He said that he wouldn't be surprised if it could handle flex fuel - so you can probably even get by with running ethanol. I wouldn't let the whole fuel recommendation scare you away from buying the vehicle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I baby the hell out of my cars not to say i dont use them but when it comes to up keep i give my car the best same goes for everyday gas

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
FordSucks said:
I baby the hell out of my cars not to say i dont use them but when it comes to up keep i give my car the best same goes for everyday gas
i myself put a diaper on the tailpipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts