Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I have an 1800 psi electric Karcher. It's more than enough for what you're describing. The new ones have stronger, quick disconnect hose connections. I'm not cleaning gum of city sidewalks so the super high pressure gas model isn't needed.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
I have an 1800 psi electric Karcher. It's more than enough for what you're describing. The new ones have stronger, quick disconnect hose connections. I'm not cleaning gum of city sidewalks so the super high pressure gas model isn't needed.
They sell those at Walmart for pretty cheap! I may pick one up. I had a Home Depot pressure washer and someone stole it from my driveway! :flame:

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I'm considering buying a pressure washer. There is this place I like to go that gets very gooey after it rains. The mud has a lot of clay in it and takes about $30 to spray it all off at the car wash. Does anyone have anything pro/con to say about any particular sprayers? What options or specifications should I look for on a sprayer?
I have a Craftsman 2700 PSI unit which works well and cost me around $240. Here's more info on what to look for. How to Buy a Pressure Washer

·
Registered
634 Posts
OK...so the stupid question of the day is this: How safe are Electric washers around the water? Obviously cant be that bad or they would'nt make them..LOL...just sounds funny to me and i can visualize the cord laying in a puddle of water..hehe

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
OK...so the stupid question of the day is this: How safe are Electric washers around the water? Obviously cant be that bad or they would'nt make them..LOL...just sounds funny to me and i can visualize the cord laying in a puddle of water..hehe
The electric power washers are too gutless and plasticky! Buy a gas one. I got a gas powered 2200 psi pressure washer for $230 new. Another walmart score and it is a quality product.Any less than that is too weak. Any more psi might be too much at full power.

http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/21584377?adid=1500000000000012981640&veh=mweb:seo_un:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
634 Posts
^^ that's why I bought a Honda gas powered one. :lol:
Not currently in the market for one..but I would go for a gas one also....... just something about a electric washer has "WTF" written all over it to me....good news is ive never heard a story on the local news about someone getting electrocuted while using it..."Local man electrocuted while using Electric Power Washer"..stay tuned.....Details at 11...LMAO:rofl:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I researched pressure washers quite a bit over the past year or so because I wanted to get one so I'll throw my opinions out there after all I learned...

Gas powered is the way to go if you're going to do anything more than wash the car. I will say I've used an electric several times to wash the car, and it works great. I used a friends cheapie electric. I have no experience or interest in higher end electric ones. So I won't comment on them. There's probably a high end electric world out there, I just don't know anything about it.

As far as gas powered goes, you have your consumer level washers and your professional level washers. Anything less than ~$1000 is considered consumer level. It's what most people have and usually more than enough for the majority of people. I focused my research here because from what I learned anything in the professional category is just overkill for a regular dude like me. The main difference between professional and consumer stuff is the pro stuff is designed to be maintained and used a lot more. Kinda like a "duty cycle" thing. Pro stuff is meant to be run hard, long, and often. Consumer stuff just isn't built for that abuse even though you can get similar performance out of them.

In the consumer gas powered space there's kinda three levels: cheap, good lower end, and high end.

Cheap is exactly what it sounds like: junk. No name engines, crappy rubber, fittings that work but aren't too precise, etc. Generally just stay away from this stuff. Not because it won't do the job, but you won't be able to get parts when things break and things will break. This is where you see the amazing deals, like the $150-300 5000 psi job that comes with flames and drink holder. You'll see a lot of plastic fittings, junk wheels, bolt together carts, etc. If it's too good to be true, it is.

The good lower end is where you start to see the consumer level Honda motors, although you see a lot of Briggs & Stratton too. With Honda you pay more up front and have less to maintain down the road. With Briggs & Stratton you pay less up front and will have more to maintain down the road. Parts are plentiful for each so no worries there, but again, Honda parts are more expensive than B&S parts. Everywhere I looked and everyone I talked to said you base your decision off this. You really want Honda or B&S. Nothing else. This is your $200-500 range for the most part. Anything without Honda or B&S on the motor is something you more than likely don't want. In this price range you can find metal fittings, better attachments, frames that are welded together instead of bolted, etc.

The higher end consumer area is pretty dominated by Honda (there are other players though). This is where you see the Honda "GX" engines, which are just bigger, sturdier motors than the ones used in the lower classes. This is where you see washers in the $500-1000 range. Basically, you should be looking for a Honda "GX" engine if you're looking to spend this kind of money because it'll be more reliable and you'll have no problem getting it fixed if something does break.

If you're going to be using your stuff day in, day out... go for the professional stuff... so nothing I've mentioned here. If it's your job you should probably know more than me anyway.

If you plan to use your washer regularly, you'll probably want to spend the money and go for the higher end consumer stuff. It'll last longer, be easier to repair, etc.

I was in that lower end consumer area because I don't use mine regularly, just for odd jobs. I got a little Honda-based one (actually the one from Costco someone already mentioned). It's a good little washer and does everything I need.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts