Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
I am new to the site. We just bought a 2010 FJ with the convenience package and off-road package. It has ~113,500 miles. Main use is as a weekend warrior and a road tripper vehicle that we will use to drive around the country for camping, visiting National Parks and cool American towns.

My main goal is to make sure I do all the necessary preventative maintenance to make it a reliable road trip vehicle. I'd rather spend some money up front than break down on the road.

I logged into the Toyota owners site, and can see that the previous owners were good about doing the scheduled maintenance. All fluids were changed at ~69K miles, front and rear diffs and transfer case were serviced at ~80K miles. Dealer did the brakes when I bought the vehicle. Does anyone know what "trim and body" service means in the records?

The only thing I did not see done was a tune up/spark plug change.

My first step was to replace the transmission fluid and get a proper tune up - is there anything in particular to consider/have done with the tune up?

Second, I was considering replacing the water pump and serpentine belt as preventative maintenance. I have read some reports that the water pump is a weak point in the coolant system. Is this a good idea, and is there anything else I should have replaced while they are doing the water pump (thermostat etc.).

Third, at what point should I consider replacing the radiator?

Are there any other preventative maintenance items I should consider before taking it on a long road trip (~2000 miles)?

I appreciate any and all advice!
Cheers!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,926 Posts
Plugs for sure. 2010+ use the 100K mile (Iridium maybe?) ones...
Check the belt.
Brake fluid if they didnt do that with the brakes.
Power steering fluid is simple.
Air filter check - there is a cabin air filter behind the glovebox too which may be very neglected.
Open the glass on the rear door - make sure its not full of debris up under the 3rd brake light.
Coolant is due at 100K. Sounds like you are on the trans which is important.

As for the cooling system, you may be thinking of the thermostat. It is very simple to do. Water pump not so much. If the fluid is in good shape the rad probably is too.
Adding a trans cooler is a great peace of mind. Lowers temps substantially even daily driving.

Can also do things like see how clean the throttle body is and check the PCV valve...like you might do with any vehicle.

Welcome aboard!

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,177 Posts
Here is a list I recently made that could help you know what to check. FJ Cruiser Maintenance Checklist

But yeah I would say if there are any fluids you're unsure of, probably best to do a change on those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Adam and Hayden.
Both of you gave me some great advice. I will start doing the things I can do myself, and keep a list of the other stuff for when I bring it into the shop. I was thinking about replacing the radiator in the next year or 2, so I may add a transmission cooler when I do that. A lot of the driving we'll be doing is in the southwest where 100+ degree days are commonplace. Additionally, we are looking at getting an off-road trailer to expand our storage space for toys/gear when out adventuring, so the transmission cooler would be good for that as well.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I replaced my water pump at 180k on my 2007, because I was replacing the idler pulley tensioner and pulleys and figured I would have access to it and getting up in mileage. When I removed the water pump it showed no signs of failing. In hindsight, I would have left it alone. I would say if you don’t see pink crusty’s around it or other signs the water pump is failing, leave it alone. Others with more experience may chime in with better advice. Just my 2 cents.
Thermostat is inexpensive and easy, so that may be worth doing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks subzero, I just watched a couple of videos on cleaning the MAF - would have never thought of it unless you said so. It is not a terribly expensive part, Denso has one for 100 bucks, is it worth replacing at 100K miles? Looks like an easy DIY.

Thanks Nizbar. I'll check out the water pump this week and look for signs of "pink crustys". I think I'm a little sensitive with water pumps - I had one go on an old hand me down Oldsmobile station wagon as a teenager, and I had one go on an old F-150. Both times I was stranded and needed a tow . . .

Thanks again y'all and happy trails!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi All,
I am new to the site. We just bought a 2010 FJ with the convenience package and off-road package. It has ~113,500 miles. Main use is as a weekend warrior and a road tripper vehicle that we will use to drive around the country for camping, visiting National Parks and cool American towns.

My main goal is to make sure I do all the necessary preventative maintenance to make it a reliable road trip vehicle. I'd rather spend some money up front than break down on the road.

I logged into the Toyota owners site, and can see that the previous owners were good about doing the scheduled maintenance. All fluids were changed at ~69K miles, front and rear diffs and transfer case were serviced at ~80K miles. Dealer did the brakes when I bought the vehicle. Does anyone know what "trim and body" service means in the records?

The only thing I did not see done was a tune up/spark plug change.

My first step was to replace the transmission fluid and get a proper tune up - is there anything in particular to consider/have done with the tune up?

Second, I was considering replacing the water pump and serpentine belt as preventative maintenance. I have read some reports that the water pump is a weak point in the coolant system. Is this a good idea, and is there anything else I should have replaced while they are doing the water pump (thermostat etc.).

Third, at what point should I consider replacing the radiator?

Are there any other preventative maintenance items I should consider before taking it on a long road trip (~2000 miles)?

I appreciate any and all advice!
Cheers!
Welcome from Arizona

1 - 8 of 8 Posts