Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking here for a while but this is my first post.

So, I'm driving to work today and as I pass a Chrysler/Jeep dealer I see they have an FJ on their used lot.
"Wow", I think, "a used FJ." "Maybe I can get a good deal on it."
As I wheel up to the building the vultures hop about excitedly and one of them flaps out to greet me.
Me - "Which version FJ is that?"
The vulture - "It's a 2007."
Me - "Really?" Not only is he a vulture, but he's also a complete moron. "Is it four wheel drive and which transmission does it have?"
He tells me it's a 4x4 with AT.
I tell him I'm not interested. I'm looking for an MT.
He asks if I want to take a look anyway.
Me - "No thanks. I've driven a couple already. By the way, how much are you guys asking for it?"
The moron vulture - "$39,000."
Me - "Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!"
Him - "What's so funny?"
Me - "Is it brand new?"
Him - "Yeah. It only has 400 miles."
Me - "That ain't brand new. That's used. It has stock wheels and tires, no roof rack, no brush guard, no lights, no nothing. Even if it's loaded with options you have it overpriced by about ten grand!"
The moron vulture - *crickets*

What the hell is that about? My local Toyo dealer as of two weeks ago was charging $3K over MSRP. This is absurd!!! When is the pricing on these things gonna level out? And who do these people think they are?

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
If you want one that bad, order one from one of the hundreds of dealers who are selling at MSRP. You may have to fly somewhere to get it, but a plane ticket is only a few hundred bucks, and as a bonus your first ride in the FJ will be a nice road trip.

But please, don't let what happened to this guy happen to you.

·
fka JimmyHoops
2,839 Posts
wise said:

So, I'm driving to work today and as I pass a Chrysler/Jeep dealer I see they have an FJ on their used lot.
As I wheel up to the building the vultures hop about excitedly and one of them flaps out to greet me.
Me - "Really?" Not only is he a vulture, but he's also a complete moron. "Is it four wheel drive and which transmission does it have?"
Me - "No thanks. I've driven a couple already. By the way, how much are you guys asking for it?"
Him - "What's so funny?"
Me - "Is it brand new?"
Me - "That ain't brand new. That's used. It has stock wheels and tires, no roof rack, no brush guard, no lights, no nothing. Even if it's loaded with options you have it overpriced by about ten grand!"

What the hell is that about? My local Toyo dealer as of two weeks ago was charging $3K over MSRP. This is absurd!!! When is the pricing on these things gonna level out? And who do these people think they are?
I've never heard of such absurdity...You'd think that this dealer (along with many others) thought it was a Farrari or other astronomicly priced 'super car'. Way to stick to your guns and show that you ain't no fool! I love it when you reach that moment with a sales person that they have no ability to pull the wool over your eyes.

Score:

sales vulture :0
informed consumer: 1

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
wise said:

Him - "What's so funny?"
Me - "Is it brand new?"

Yeah totally BS. But guys, the dealership is not the moron here. The moron is the person who will not research, negotiate the price down by $5K or so, and feel like the got a good deal at $5K off of asking price. This vehicle is not for you or me, but is intended for any fool that will pay for it. Tho it's wrong, this is business. Doesn't make it right, you can't justify it, just don't buy it. Just like Real estate in my eyes. The property (FJ) will sell at what ever price the market demands.

I'll even dare to say that paying over MSRP is not as stupid as it sounds. It's no different than overpaying for concert/pro game tickets. How about autograph paraphernalia? Over MSRP? After all it's just someone else' signature on an item. What makes it worth a lot more than the item itself. What someone is willing to pay right? the sentimental value of it is priceless? Same can be said for paying over MSRP. If you got the money and you don't care, it's not a dumb move.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't think we wre out of the woods yet. I just saw an FJ at a dealer in Santa Monica,CA going for 41k. I am not sure what it all had on it, but it sure looked like a regular FJ. Unless that was the 24 karat gold edition, LOL. I guess the proof will be seeing how long it's out there. If it's gone tomorrow, everyone who didn't order one yet is screwed.

Dealers Suck!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
JimmyHoops said:
I've never heard of such absurdity...You'd think that this dealer (along with many others) thought it was a Farrari or other astronomicly priced 'super car'. Way to stick to your guns and show that you ain't no fool! I love it when you reach that moment with a sales person that they have no ability to pull the wool over your eyes.

Score:

sales vulture :0
informed consumer: 1
Lustine Toyota tried the same thing, I had a quote BUT...with a wait time. I already have the financing done so the check is in hand...so I went to Lustine (original place I test drove the FJ) and they tried to offer me the exact same vehicle for $2500 more and wanted to remove options to match Kay Jennings offer which had he package and all the options I'm looking for.

I told them forget it and they said that I was probably making up the other offer so now I guess I'm a liar. I have the other offer in writing but it's not worth even showing them, I'd rather do business with someone else. Just a warning for anyone considering doing business with Lustine Toyota in Woodbridge, Va. I must say I'm extremely disappointed that they would bring such a dark light to Toyota :-(

·
Registered
455 Posts
My Burien, WA dealer has me signed up for one- they all go MSRP, not a dime more or less- so i can be ok with that.
It irritates me they don't even know what they are selling, or study their own friggin' website. They were trying to pipeload me some smoke about how rock rails are "some lower body side molding" and "every toyota has that" and "the underside is already protected"...
What a bunch of a*shats. :eek: This was the sales manager---the salesman/boy was likely on his first day and knew even less.
We'll see what other stupidity develops as the deal progresses.

·
Registered
455 Posts
chris410 said:
I told them forget it and they said that I was probably making up the other offer so now I guess I'm a liar. I have the other offer in writing but it's not worth even showing them, I'd rather do business with someone else. Just a warning for anyone considering doing business with Lustine Toyota in Woodbridge, Va. I must say I'm extremely disappointed that they would bring such a dark light to Toyota :-(
You would think Toyota would fire these types as dealers---it seems car sales have never evolved into something humane...still the carpetbagging tactics of the dark ages- it's a wonder we all put up with it at all- there must be a great deal of first timers to keep 'em going-
Great you walked away!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
tractorlegend said:
My Burien, WA dealer has me signed up for one- they all go MSRP, not a dime more or less- so i can be ok with that.
It irritates me they don't even know what they are selling, or study their own friggin' website. They were trying to pipeload me some smoke about how rock rails are "some lower body side molding" and "every toyota has that" and "the underside is already protected"...
What a bunch of a*shats. :eek: This was the sales manager---the salesman/boy was likely on his first day and knew even less.
We'll see what other stupidity develops as the deal progresses.
Sad isn't it? What's funny is the sales people don't even know how to work many of the items on the FJ.

Oh well, so far things are good on my end...I got MSRP and all the options, sad I had to dig just go buy the FJ at the price it was intended to be sold at!

But then again, I'm in Northern Va where everyone seems to be rich! :cool:

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
tractorlegend said:
You would think Toyota would fire these types as dealers---it seems car sales have never evolved into something humane...still the carpetbagging tactics of the dark ages- it's a wonder we all put up with it at all- there must be a great deal of first timers to keep 'em going-
Great you walked away!!
In the 1960's Toyota was trying to enter the American car market. There were still a lot of hard feelings about World War II and it wasn't easy for a Japanese company to sell big ticket items. It appears Toyota entered into some perpetual deals that have lived on, and GST and SET seem to be examples. It is unfortunate that Toyota bargained away any enforcement policy to keep some dealers in line. The consumer suffers and Toyota looks bad.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Kansas Law Dog said:
In the 1960's Toyota was trying to enter the American car market. There were still a lot of hard feelings about World War II and it wasn't easy for a Japanese company to sell big ticket items. It appears Toyota entered into some perpetual deals that have lived on, and GST and SET seem to be examples. It is unfortunate that Toyota bargained away any enforcement policy to keep some dealers in line. The consumer suffers and Toyota looks bad.
If someone willing to do an "AIR" I know a good one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Avondale Toyota (Phoenix) is selling them for MSRP and no BS. Call me if you want one. We've got a special allocation from Toyota, as we're their first new-style store. Jonathan Powell, Sales Mgr., Avondale Toyota, 602.486.0398

·
fka JimmyHoops
2,839 Posts
chris410 said:
Lustine Toyota tried the same thing, I had a quote BUT...with a wait time. I already have the financing done so the check is in hand...so I went to Lustine (original place I test drove the FJ) and they tried to offer me the exact same vehicle for $2500 more and wanted to remove options to match Kay Jennings offer which had he package and all the options I'm looking for.

Sweeet!

Sales Vulture: 0
Informed Consumer: 2

·
Registered
5 Posts
World toyota in Atlanta had written on the sticker in magic marker "Advertising Fee $5000", had the MSRP crossed out and the new value of $36,500! I told the sales woman, who knew absoutly nothing about 4x4's or the FJ, I wasn't going to pay it. I told her another dealer was selling down the street for MSRP. As I started to walk away, she said wait, no problem, it was negotiable - she made me spend an hour xeroxing my license and personal info, evaluating my trade in, Guido in the back was pulling my credit info, waiting, more paperwork, and she wrote up the whole damn deal. After an hour of this crap, Guido from the finance dept walks out with the thing written up at $36,500! Man I was pissed! What a bunch of sleeze bags! Needless to say, I walked away.

This is funny though - 2 days later, a marketing firm called me to ask about my experience at the delearship. Man, did I let them have it!

·
Registered
348 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Its a wonder any dealer who treats people like that are still around. Although I can't complain too much about it, when some moron does something like that I usually gain a customer so it does help me a bit.

:D

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
jklotz said:
World toyota in Atlanta had written on the sticker in magic marker "Advertising Fee $5000", had the MSRP crossed out and the new value of $36,500! I told the sales woman, who knew absoutly nothing about 4x4's or the FJ, I wasn't going to pay it. I told her another dealer was selling down the street for MSRP. As I started to walk away, she said wait, no problem, it was negotiable - she made me spend an hour xeroxing my license and personal info, evaluating my trade in, Guido in the back was pulling my credit info, waiting, more paperwork, and she wrote up the whole damn deal. After an hour of this crap, Guido from the finance dept walks out with the thing written up at $36,500! Man I was pissed! What a bunch of sleeze bags! Needless to say, I walked away.

This is funny though - 2 days later, a marketing firm called me to ask about my experience at the delearship. Man, did I let them have it!
This is a good example of why one should try to get financing lined up before walking in the door. Capital One and E-Loan offer better rates than Toyota's credit department does (by more than 2 points). Also, every time one of those "Guido" (love that name) people runs your credit, you get dinged on your credit report.

If you can get approved by Toyota, you'll get approved by Capital One or E-Loan. Once you've got your own financing, if you want you can have the dealer see if they can get you a better rate, but most of the time they won't (unless they're running a special.)

I can't stand reading stories about stealerships. AAARGH! Glad you walked away.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
jKoltz, I never discuss finacing with a dealer
I do not give a SSN number or a Drivers kicense up before getting a price
if you give them that info, you are dead
make the deal first, then take out your finance rate book and give them amount of down you are offering,and a payment you will pay
after all you should already know your FICA score and what that days rates are
and when they laugh, give them your cell number and tell them you are going to the dealer 20 miles down the road. Beleive me you will not be able to get off the lot before they counter
never ever trade, you will lose money, always sell the car you are getting rid of yourself.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
highbeams said:
jKoltz, I never discuss finacing with a dealer
I do not give a SSN number or a Drivers kicense up before getting a price
if you give them that info, you are dead
make the deal first, then take out your finance rate book and give them amount of down you are offering,and a payment you will pay
after all you should already know your FICA score and what that days rates are
and when they laugh, give them your cell number and tell them you are going to the dealer 20 miles down the road. Beleive me you will not be able to get off the lot before they counter
never ever trade, you will lose money, always sell the car you are getting rid of yourself.
Before considering a private sale, make sure you are aware of the laws associated with your State. You don't want to get screwed if the buyer makes a claim against you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts