Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased two new cars in the past. The first was my Dakota PU, the second my girlfriends Mazda 3. When I got the truck I negotiated on the payments, it worked out ok, but I could have done better. On the Mazda I did better, we got a couple of thousand off the dealer price. Still I bet I could have done better.

My question is when I start to haggle on a FJ or any new car how do you go about getting them down closer to invoice. I know most dealerships are selling for MSRP but there are people getting good deals out there. I have a pre-approved loan for the FJ and a trade in. I would use the dealer to finance through if they can beat the APR I have already. I am trying to make this easy, do I just walk in and throw a check down with the take it or leave it attitude?

And last the same question applies on getting the most on my trade in. I know I would get more private property, but who wants to deal with that.

Thanks

·
Registered
961 Posts
Good luck on negotiations here on the Wet Coast. Not going to happen. This isnt a Honda Civic. More like a Ferrari.
Best you can do is MSRP and be patient for your order to come in. Looks like all the deals are in the East.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree to a point, but I belive you can almost always get something out of them.

I am 23 and have a credit score right around 750, what should I be looking at for apr. I have 7.4 for 72 months pre aproved, can a dealer work to get me a lower APR?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Chris W said:
I agree to a point, but I belive you can almost always get something out of them.

I am 23 and have a credit score right around 750, what should I be looking at for apr. I have 7.4 for 72 months pre aproved, can a dealer work to get me a lower APR?
Portland Teachers Credit Union is offering 6.39% on new vehicles up to 96 months.
As a side note, you CAN get better than MSRP, you just have to work at it. I got my FJ for $764.00 under sticker. It's not much........but it's $764.00!
Good luck.

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
Don't worry about financing, figure out what you want to pay, go in there and make the offer to the sales manager, no one else and stand firm. Thats what i do and always get what i want...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where did you buy from? I have been told $300-600 of a 6speed is workable.

Thanks for the info on Portland Teachers Credit Union.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Chris W said:
Where did you buy from? I have been told $300-600 of a 6speed is workable.

Thanks for the info on Portland Teachers Credit Union.
Appleway in Spokane Washington. We flew out to pick it up, and drove back home. Great way to get aquainted with it!
Capitol Toyota in Salem is closer, and the Internet Sales Manager (Rory Casebeer) is a straight-shooter.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Sorry, I thought for some reason you wanted something specific (ie order). Yeah you might be able to haggle pennies, but again it will most likely be on the loaded models. I hope you arent looking for a base model!
PTCU/OnPoint is indeed the best that I know of (Im a satisfied member).
Dont know of getting a better APR...most of that has long gone by the wayside. Hell, Ive got a score of 810. Highest you can get is 820. OnPoint still only offered me the 6% range.
Let me know when you get one and we'll go out for a spin!

·
Registered
65 Posts
DirtyLittleSecret said:
Sorry, I thought for some reason you wanted something specific (ie order). Yeah you might be able to haggle pennies, but again it will most likely be on the loaded models. I hope you arent looking for a base model!
PTCU/OnPoint is indeed the best that I know of (Im a satisfied member).
Dont know of getting a better APR...most of that has long gone by the wayside. Hell, Ive got a score of 810. Highest you can get is 820. OnPoint still only offered me the 6% range.
Let me know when you get one and we'll go out for a spin!
Not trying to start an argument or anything, but after receiving a call notifying me of the arrival date of the vehicle, I was able to strip off all of the projected port installed options that did not interest me and only have the options that I wanted on it (for a list see sig). The dealer was incredibly accomodating, and then the negotiations began. Maybe I was just very fortunate. Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
DirtyLittleSecret said:
Good luck on negotiations here on the Wet Coast. Not going to happen. This isnt a Honda Civic. More like a Ferrari.
Best you can do is MSRP and be patient for your order to come in. Looks like all the deals are in the East.
maybe oregon is different, but in nor cal u can easily get $1500 off msrp and closer to $3000 off on loaded vehicles and/or 4 x 2's.

Financing - my credit score was bad, about 630, but my father, bless him, co-signed the loan and now i have a 5.85% apr loan. Since the car is registered to him as well, I am afraid to let him drive it because he might like it too much and steal it from me...

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are so right NEMO, I was on travel to the SF bay area from San Diego early this week and one dealer offered $1000 off MSRP with hardly any negotiation.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts

7.4 is very good for 72 months. forget about getting the dealer to finance you at a point lower. worry about if you can get 1500+ discount.

i visited 3 dealerships, all of them gave me 1500 + all weather mats. the fourth dealer didnt let me walk out by giving me 1500+roof rack:) . titanium silver - convenience package-alloy wheels-roof rack- $25,112 +tax lic. title.
financed at 8.9 percent for 60 months. i didnt even look at the monthly payment, coz i paid it off with a home equity loan the next day.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The best I have found is 6.69 for 84. You have the truck I want "titanium silver - convenience package-alloy wheels-roof rack" . HA HA. Dealers around here just don't have any stock. I am still looking for what I want. Most knock $600 off no problem so there is more room move. I can tell you for sure I will be paying below MSRP.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts