Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys - can you give me an idea on how this price looks?

This is for a 4x4 AT, with Convenience Package, Offroad package, dealer installed skid plate, rock rails, and roof rack.

MSRP is 29,684, dealer is offering 26,428.

it has about 200 miles on it, not sure where those came from.

What do you think?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds fishy to me. What has that vehicle been doing for 2 years? To me, that's not a "new" vehicle -- that's used.

I bought mine new (the only miles it had on it were from my test drive) for $25K. Manual transmission, not AT. Considering that they're apparently phasing out the FJ, I would imagine that the dealers would like to move them, even at a significant loss. However, I could be wrong. I was once.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds fishy to me. What has that vehicle been doing for 2 years? To me, that's not a "new" vehicle -- that's used.

I bought mine new (the only miles it had on it were from my test drive) for $25K. Manual transmission, not AT. Considering that they're apparently phasing out the FJ, I would imagine that the dealers would like to move them, even at a significant loss. However, I could be wrong. I was once.

Okay my mistake - this one is actually a 2008. it's just been sitting on the lot for a while. think there's any chance a dealer would part with one of these 08's for 22-23k range?

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Okay my mistake - this one is actually a 2008. it's just been sitting on the lot for a while. think there's any chance a dealer would part with one of these 08's for 22-23k range?
I would offer them $21,500 and just see what they say. They might accpet your offer or make you a counter-offer that is reasonable. They really want to move any remaining '08's off the lot ASAP, so that is in your favor.

Best of luck to you in your negotiations and let us know how it plays out!

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I would offer them $21,500 and just see what they say. They might accpet your offer or make you a counter-offer that is reasonable. They really want to move any remaining '08's off the lot ASAP, so that is in your favor.

Best of luck to you in your negotiations and let us know how it plays out!
X2! It's a buyer's market out there!

·
Registered
190 Posts
All depends on the area of the country. Here in CO, there are not many left on the lots, and I just bought my 2008 with Off Road package with 2500 miles on it for 26K. That was the best deal I could find locally for such low mileage.

Good luck, and I hope you can work them!

·
Registered
397 Posts
all i know is the prices i see "today" are good compared to what I paid (MSRP).

Really depends on the dealer. How bad they are hurting, etc...I went with a friend to 8 Toyo dealers as he is in the market for a Tacoma and most of them had no FJs while the other ones had 1-2 and they are all 2008s.

I know there are deals to be had. There was one dealer that actually had a 2007 Tacoma Off Rd pkg on the lot. They kept saying "NEW" when in reality it was a dealer demo truck. 600 miles. Yeah new :lol: kept trying to get my friend to pay a 2009 price on a 2007 (mind you it was built in 2006!!!) model. It was an insult. They took only 4k off the 2007 MSRP. Come on. My friend told the sales manager that the car deprecaites every year and it has miles so the price is outrageous. The manager laughed at him and continued to say "It is new!!!!!". Sure it has never been titled but someone drove it these past few years. They guy would not budge. Very nice truck and it even had a minor scratch in the bumper!!! My friend wanted to run a VIN chk on it and the manager was like, "It is new! You're wasting your money if you do that" ugh shut up! sounded like he had something to hide :lol:

So as you can see its dependent on the dealer. I'd say most won't play easy but if you wait them out a month or so and that truck is still on their lot they seem to get antsy. My friend is striking up a good deal on a used 2008 Tacoma fully loaded off rd pkg, kinda jealous. He had his eye on it since Feb and it was still on the lot and they discounted the heck out of it!

Just do not act like you have to have it or you are desperate... the more eager you seem the more they will not play. and if it sells hey it wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the advice. I would take an 08 for 24k OTD right now. I've talked to maybe 5-6 different dealers, all have FJ's, but they want to get 26-27k for most of them. Seems silly when the 09's are arriving and cost maybe $1000 more!

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
thanks for all the advice. I would take an 08 for 24k OTD right now. I've talked to maybe 5-6 different dealers, all have FJ's, but they want to get 26-27k for most of them. Seems silly when the 09's are arriving and cost maybe $1000 more!
Even fully loaded, the dealer is asking too much at 26-27K, IMHO. The still need to move 'em off the lot for the '09's, even if there won't be as many of these due to production cuts.

I am looking at buying a '09 myself later this year when the 2010 model comes out, hopefully in August or September. I was hoping to get a good deal on an '09, but if there are in limited enough numbers, maybe I won't be able to?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
With it being a dealer-owned '08 model, and having that MUCH mileage for a "new" vehicle, I would be willing to bet it was a dealer demo. Go over that thing HEAD to TOE and make sure no one "test drove" it for the weekend and beat the hell out of it. Pay extra attention to the undercarriage, i.e. front skidplate, suspension arms, frame rails, exhaust system, and lower-most sections of the bumpers. If you find any damage, steer clear.

·
Registered
397 Posts
dealer demos always concern me. a few years ago i knew someone that was a manager at a VW dealer. He'd get to take home a few different models. I just remember seeing him drive like a total ahole (flooring it and slamming on the brakes). I recently saw a Nissan Titan with a dealer plate and the dood was driving like a total jerk flooring the gas and then slamming on the brakes and then flooring it and slamming on the brakes, you get the pic. They treat them not so well.

Even though they say its "new" it is not. Price can be lower and you should probably do your best in checking that everything is in good/decent order.

I still can't believe that this one Toyo dealer was attempting to sell a 07 w/600 miles at the MSRP - 4k. You could get a 09 Tacoma for the same price. Granted not a TRD Off Rd Pkg but still... who knows how they drove that thing or what it was used for all this time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts