Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to close on a deal tomorrow - please advise on the price!

2011 Toyota FJCruiser
4x2 - yes...I have no need for 4WD and do not plan to offroad :)

Options:
CQ - Convenicen Package
RL - Daytime Running Lights
UR - Upgrade Package
CR - Passenger Center Arm Rest
S6 - Premium Security System
R4 - Predator Tube Steps
DH - Drop Hitch (w/Wire Harness & Ball Mount)
LR - Roof Rack
+ tint

Price - $31,298 + TTL

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Tell em to give you that price on a 4x4 model, if you get an AT it'll be part time anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I specifically requested for a 2x4 model because it is about 450 lbs lighter, better gas mileage, and it will be used for daily commute.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just my opinion - I went with 2x4 on my last rig for reasons very simliar to yours- I wont need it...better gas milage....extra cost. I keep vehicles a long time, 8-10 years and Ive spent the last 6 years regretting my decision. If youre going to have the FJ a while, you never know how life might change and make the 4x4 something youre glad you have. Also consider the resale value on 2x4 will be significantly less.

Bottom line, if you want great (or even good) milage, the FJ probably isnt the best choice for you anyway.

Edit: and I would dump the dealer tint and security system and go after-market. You can get as good or better much cheaper elsewhere.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just my opinion - I went with 2x4 on my last rig for reasons very simliar to yours- I wont need it...better gas milage....extra cost. I keep vehicles a long time, 8-10 years and Ive spent the last 6 years regretting my decision. If youre going to have the FJ a while, you never know how life might change and make the 4x4 something youre glad you have. Also consider the resale value on 2x4 will be significantly less.

Bottom line, if you want great (or even good) milage, the FJ probably isnt the best choice for you anyway.

Edit: and I would dump the dealer tint and security system and go after-market. You can get as good or better much cheaper elsewhere.
I'm actually the opposite. I went AWD on my last car and regretted it... never once did I ever feel the need to use it. I live in Houston, TX where there is never snow and normal roads. I will probably keep this car for 10+ years, so not really thinking about resale value

·
Registered
947 Posts
Seems high to me only because Ive seen 1 2011 TT mistake for 31K sticker (almost completely stripped) and 2 regular 2011 for $32K sticker (had some packages +/- rims) here in SD/LA area.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems high to me only because Ive seen 1 2011 TT mistake for 31K sticker (almost completely stripped) and 2 regular 2011 for $32K sticker (had some packages +/- rims) here in SD/LA area.
Thanks, I will keep this in mind, although I think that the 4x4 version is only about $1k more than the 2x4 version in invoice price.

·
Registered
28 Posts
yeah man if you are worried about mileage the fj is not what you are looking for. in my honest opinion you should spare that poor fj's life and let someone who plans to use it as intended

·
Registered
28 Posts
they are purty :bigthumb: how long of a commute and what kind of driving will you be doing?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I specifically requested for a 2x4 model because it is about 450 lbs lighter, better gas mileage, and it will be used for daily commute.
according to the gov fuel testing they both get the same MPG for city and the 4x2 gets maybe 1mpg more highway (I bet that can change depending on which way the wind is blowing). for $31,000+ get the 4x4. You might not have snow down there but what if you have to move? What if you need to sell in an emergency (you lose your shirt on a 4x2), does it even flood down there? is there heavy rain, gravel, mud, hills? are you planning on towing EVER? snow is not the only reason for 4x4.

Everybody on here will agree, you can totally get a 4x4 for the same price or cheaper, with pretty much the same MPG on both, getting a 4x2 FJ makes no sense at all. My opinion is absolutely don't do it! and if you are concerned about gas mileage at all, def DON'T get either! FJs like lots of gas...there are plenty of good looking vehicles that get good mileage.

go here and click on toyota to see the 4x2 and 4x4 comparison...
Search by Manufacturer

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
according to the gov fuel testing they both get the same MPG for city and the 4x2 gets maybe 1mpg more highway (I bet that can change depending on which way the wind is blowing). for $31,000+ get the 4x4. You might not have snow down there but what if you have to move? What if you need to sell in an emergency (you lose your shirt on a 4x2), does it even flood down there? is there heavy rain, gravel, mud, hills? are you planning on towing EVER? snow is not the only reason for 4x4.

Everybody on here will agree, you can totally get a 4x4 for the same price or cheaper, with pretty much the same MPG on both, getting a 4x2 FJ makes no sense at all. My opinion is absolutely don't do it! and if you are concerned about gas mileage at all, def DON'T get either! FJs like lots of gas...there are plenty of good looking vehicles that get good mileage.

go here and click on toyota to see the 4x2 and 4x4 comparison...
Search by Manufacturer
I did see the gov fuel website and noticed that the 4x2 model is only better by 1 mpg vs the 4x4 model, but how accurate is this in the real world? It is hard to imagine that the 4x4, which is 500 lbs heavier and 1 inch taller, only gets 1mpg better gas mileage?

There are no gravel, hills, mud, snow, only some heavy rain once in a while.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ironically, I thought long and hard about getting a 4x2 before changing my mind and going with the 4x4. At first I couldn't conceive of off-roading, and the possible benefits of going 4x2 seemed to make it a logical choice; but the more I looked (and browsed this forum) the more drawn I felt to the 4x4: the potential to GO off road, to enjoy inclement weather rather than fear it, the simple manliness of a 4x4 vehicle.

Go with the 4x4 if you can. You are right that you may never use it, but I can promise you you never will if you just get a 4x2. I'm sure owners of other makes & models are enamored of their cars like FJ owners, but there is something unique and exciting about an FJ that 2wd seems to temper a wee bit.

Good luck either way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I traded in my 2010 4x2 fj trd for a 2011 4x4 NSSE and I'm happy I did. I went with the 4x2 for your reasons then I felt like 'why buy an fj?' I do plan on taking it off roading and to the snow.

The 4x4 feels sturdier and for some reason I'm getting better mileage on it. The 4x2 seemed a little quicker though. Prob the weight difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts