Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that the original post has been corrupted by negative personal banter....let's get back on topic....

how much do you want to or are willing to spend on the fj and in what configuration are you looking at (or have built, like i, about 50 times already)?

personally, im looking at base model with the convenience package. looks like the only redeemable features in the upgrade are the locking differential and the upgraded stereo (if i recall correctly - probably not). i want a truck that is hardy and wont get stuck, and if it does, it can get out. not going to be doing any rock crawling (intentionally anyway) so i think i can get away with a basic 4x4. part testosterone, part necessity,...but i want the "luxury" of knowing this thing handle a tricky situation if it gets into one.

other opinions? (and please leave the personal attacks out - pretty please)

·
Registered
647 Posts
CaliFJ, I plan to wait slightly, then get one with everything offered, except Satellite radio, if possible. I certainly want to pay a little as possible, like anyone else, but compared with what's out there, low 30's isn't out. I just hope I can get all the accessories and options for that range. If it gets as high as 35K, I'll have to throtle down the accoutrements...

Besides, I'd rather just pay it up front and finance it at a reasonable auto rate loan than put it on the credit card later...

I mean when used LR Defenders are selling for 25K +... and they break like crazy ... Jeez...

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm shooting for most of the options, don't know why must be a character flaw or something but I always have to super size my meal deal..... Getting the options at the front end suits me better I tend to lose interest in things so I want the options at the front end. Who knows in 5 years there might be a diesel/hypebread version that is a replacement or maybe this is a lifer deal, either way I want full package minus the junk running boards/ cosmetic stuff. Anyone got shots of the tail light guards?

FYI since there may be an issue backing up (blind spot) skip the sonar and just get a tow setup with extension, works wonders in parking lots with people and their bumper cars it’s a life saver.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
convenience package, up#1 and #2,...seems like you're simply forced to get the rear sonar. i think they should put a metal detector on the thing,....maybe some kind of earth imaging gear so we can see exactly what we're driving over??

yea, im the same way, i want the bells and whistles,....crap, i even want the satelite radio (baseball package of course), but that can always be an addon down the line. im always arguing inside about the price and whether or not i NEED the options with the given packages. but then again, if i am talking about a price difference of 32k vs 28k, it doesnt ultimately matter on the loan because we all get f'd by the banks in the long run anyway. and you're right, aftermarket on the credit card is way more of a financial hit.

current config:
4x4 auto,convenience, up#1, roof rack

im hoping that comes in around 25-28k, please santa

·
Registered
163 Posts
I want a 4X4, 6-Spd

I guess I have to get the convenience package, as I need the rear wiper. I'm not at all excited about having to take the sonar.

I'll see how much the Upgrade #1 is vs. purchasing the alloy wheels as a separate option. I could even live with steel wheels for a while to save a few $$.

And I'll definately do the Locking rear dif as an option.

I hope that I can get the thing in the $25 - $26 range.

These mountains may be my first trip, cuz I have no idea what's on the other side.. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
KTMRiderToo said:
I want a 4X4, 6-Spd

I guess I have to get the convenience package, as I need the rear wiper. I'm not at all excited about having to take the sonar.

I'll see how much the Upgrade #1 is vs. purchasing the alloy wheels as a separate option. I could even live with steel wheels for a while to save a few $$.

And I'll definately do the Locking rear dif as an option.

I hope that I can get the thing in the $25 - $26 range.
This is exactly where I am too. I originally wanted just a 4x4 6-speed with diff lock. I'm a little disappointed that I have to get the whole package just to get a rear wiper :( I guess since they put 3 on the front, they couldn't afford to make the rear one standard. I still hope I can get out the door for the same $25-26k.

Jason

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'm planning on getting the 4x4 manual tranny with the convenience pack and the roof rack. I think that I can take standard Thule rails and adapt them to fit quite easily. I sure didn't like the looks of the stock bike carrier. The ones that require you to leave on the front wheel are mickey mouse. I'd also like to get the towing set-up. Hopefully this can all be done for $26-$27,000.
Here's hoping I can "GET-ER-DONE"

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hoping to pay $23,000 for my 2WD "PreRunner" FJC equipped this way:

-Base 2WD FJC ($21,995?)
-Blue or Yellow. I'm on the fence STILL! Love both colors
-Locking rear differential ($950?)

I love the KISS concept (keep it simple stupid) with the FJC. In my opinion, the base FJ comes loaded. Auto tranny, PW, V6 engine, PL, ABS, Limited slip differential, CD player, white roof, etc. all come standard.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
caliFJ said:
convenience package, up#1 and #2,...seems like you're simply forced to get the rear sonar.
Even better how about those old fashion curb feelers

or if you really want to upscale!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Well, right now I have it configured as 4x4 Manual, Convenience Package, Upgrade #1 since it includes half the crap I wanted to begin with. I am with you guys on the disappointment that I have to get a package to get a rear window wiper, LAME! Then the Cargo Mat/All Weather, Aux Lights, Rock Rails, Row Hitch (depends on price, I won't pay toyota $500 for a $100 hitch), Rear Door Storage, Exhaust System (It's all about the horses), Door Sill Enhancements - they looked cool, Floor Mats/All Weather, Wind Deflector, Roof Rack, Armrest, Hood Protector, and the Spare Cover. If this pushes me over $28K, I will skip the spare cover, the sill enhancements, probably the aux lights, the floor mats/cargo mats, and the rear door storage. If that still puts me over $28K. I'm thinkin' Tacoma. I can have a MAXED out extended cab Tacoma for $28K.

That being said, I still plan on putting down my deposit with EJR's dealer in California on Thursday! Who knows, maybe they will surprise us with pricing. Otherwise, I will be one very unhappy FJ fan!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts