Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Pricing report...

6K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  Percy 
#1 ·
Well, I just got back from having my Toyota Matrix serviced at the biggest Toyota dealership in the city. While they worked on the car, I spoke with a salesperson about the FJ Cruiser. Things I found out:

1. Here in the midwestern states, they have yet to do vehicle training on the FJ with the salespeople. They are going to 2006 RAV4 training next week.

2. They did have the first broucher packet and I got to look at it. They only had a couple and didn't have them on the sales floor.

3. Pricing is going to dissapoint some people. Base model price they had was $24850. You are looking at $31K-$34K for a decked out model and $27.6K for 4WD.

4. Only top dealerships will have FJ's in Feb. Most of us won't see them till March-Apr. of 2006.

5. When Toyota said they aren't going to do TV spots and go after "typical" buyers, it is the truth. They don't care about pricing the FJ with the Xtrerra or Jeep, because they honestly don't think either one is in the same class so they don't care about pricepoints right now.

6. If you plan on buying one this year, you are going to pay a premium. The dealer here said not to expect a whole lot of play in the price. The only pricepoint they care about it not taking away business from the RAV4 buyers and 4Runner buyers... it will be set inbetween each on the high end.

... There's the information I got out of them. If it is true, great... if not, you can tear it to shreds. Personal opinion is that I didn't hear anything outlandish. I don't think they will sell all 40,000 trucks this year at that price so I won't be buying until late 2006 or 2007. Gas prices, lack of advertising and lack of pricing will hurt sales. That being said, I can't wait to give one a spin and then buy it used in another 12-14 months.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
DocAltie said:
3. Pricing is going to dissapoint some people. Base model price they had was $24850. You are looking at $31K-$34K for a decked out model and $27.6K for 4WD.

Thanks for the info. I really hope this is a case of a misinformed sales person. I am dealing with a dealer who was awarded a 2004 President's Cabinet award. I mention this because in order to get this award you need:

To be selected, dealers must be a member of Toyota's "Board of Governors" that includes the nation's top 60 dealerships as measured by sales volume and among the top 12 dealerships in the Sales Satisfaction Index (SSI) performance. The award is bestowed annually.
which means that this dealer is one of the top 60 largest dealers in the US and they have not heard anything about pricing as of yet. Again, not saying your wrong, just hoping that the dealer is misinformed.

By comparison:

I can buy a 2005 v6 4 Runner Limited with Nav and sunroof for $34K. At $34K for a loaded FJ I feel like I would be getting a lot "less" truck for my money. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer the FJ but one of the things that makes the FJ standout is it's utility first design. Without the costs of leather seats, Nav system, Sunroof, JBL 10 Speaker sound system, back seat audio, etc... that comes on the 4 runner you would think Toyota could manage to price it less.

(EDIT)
Now that I've thought about this a little more. Maybe the dealer is thinking accessories when he said fully loaded. GPS, Roof Rack, Tow kit... I could see these adding to a fully loaded price of $30-$31K to get to $34K. IF that is the case then I'm less worried.

Thanks again for the information

-Granger

#3 ·
:) No worries... like I wrote above, the salesperson said that they haven't been to FJ sales training yet. So it is possible he has no idea what he was talking about... ha ha ha.

Really from my standpoint, do I need some Rubicon runner? Hell no. Would I like a small SUV with the power to tow my boat easily, make getting to camping and biking spots easier, stow my windsurfing gear, and get through the snow? OOOO yea! The styling is just a bonus. So that Xtrerra is looking like a better option. I suspect that the majority of buyers a much like me.

We shall see. I for one am a little disappointed in the prices I have seen. 4WD and steel wheels for $25-26K would be nice. $27K is pushing it. I am pretty happy with my 4WD Matrix and a roof rack. Good car for winter and loading up for a trip. It would be a tough sell for the dealer.

#5 ·
I have a 2003 4x4 V8 Sport 4Runner, loaded with everything available on the Sport and I paid 29k for it brand new with 8 miles on it. I sincerely hope those prices are wrong because I know that it would hurt sales and make me question whether I want to give up the awesome V8 Lexuslike 4Runner that I already have and have already paid for the depreciation.

They really need to keep prices in check. That is what did in the Supra, no? Awesome car just a little too overpriced at the time.

#6 ·
Yeap, price is disappointing but sounds about right:( Afterall, the fj is supposed to fit between the rav4 & the 4runner. And the new rav4 (fully loaded, v6, 4wd) is supposed to be in the high $20s. Also, a fully loaded 4wd v6 4runner limited can go over $40k while the v8 can go over $43k :eek:

btw, above prices are based on msrp only, not market prices (not including discounts, rebates...)

#7 ·
Ha ha... well I really don't think Toyota will have any discounting on these FJ's to begin with. End of the year... heck yea if the prices are like that they will have a bunch left over. Otherwise, if you buy one before Sept 2006, the price isn't suppose to budge much at all.

I took a spin through the dealership lot before I left to see 4Runner prices and I didn't see a 4Runner 4x4 that was less than $31K. That makes me think the pricing given was close to spot on. I also concur that the new RAV4's end up in the 24-26K range loaded.

#10 ·
DocAltie said:
Ha ha... well I really don't think Toyota will have any discounting on these FJ's to begin with. End of the year... heck yea if the prices are like that they will have a bunch left over. Otherwise, if you buy one before Sept 2006, the price isn't suppose to budge much at all.

I took a spin through the dealership lot before I left to see 4Runner prices and I didn't see a 4Runner 4x4 that was less than $31K. That makes me think the pricing given was close to spot on. I also concur that the new RAV4's end up in the 24-26K range loaded.
The sticker price for my 4Runner was $35,650. But all I had to do was ask a couple of dealers to sell it to me at invoice and that is what the second dealer did. Regardless of the actual sticker price I was hoping to get one for about 27k. I'll wait until they deal these for invoice before I buy one.

#12 ·
I HIGHLY doubt that a FJ with all the options will cost in excess of $31K though it will probably end up getting close. Maybe with accessories you could hit $34 but a fully accessorized 4 Runner would cost a lot more too.

Though a fully loaded v6 4 Runner Limited msrp is $36K a v6 4 Runner SR5 Sport stickers for $32K and a non-sport SR5's msrp is $30K. A person interested in buying an FJ will be more likely to buy a SR5 instead of a limited so I would hope that Toyota would price accordingly.

Obviously, all of this is just guess work until we hear from Toyota.....

#13 ·
granger said:
A person interested in buying an FJ will be more likely to buy a SR5 instead of a limited so I would hope that Toyota would price accordingly.
QUOTE]

That is a good comparison. The SR5 V6 4Runner is an attractive value as it comes with a lot of standard features and is still very capable yet more refined.

They need to make a greater price distinction between these two IMO.

#14 ·
From a Toyota District SALES meeting in Virginia on yesterday. Dealers will be able to preference FJ's,(tell distribution the need a chery or a yellow with this this and this), so you can get what you want. That should begin Mid to Late Dec. Though pricing has not been set 4X4's should be in the mid to upper $20000's. The Dealership I am at will get about 8 per month. Allocation is based on volume. We sell 250-300 cars per month.

#16 ·
DocAltie said:
Well I hope 26K gets 4x4 or I'll wait for a used one. It's snowing today, and my 4WD Martix is ripping right through it. It made me wonder why I would even spend the money.

Amazing value...

Can I quote gun and roses by saying, " all we need is just a little patience.."
I'll wait a year to get the price I want. I'll just test drive one every weekend.. :cool:

#17 ·
I'm with Bubba, if I have to wait I will just go and drool on one until I get the price I want. If it means I have to go and test drive every single one that the local dealer gets, every weekend, then that's what I'll do.

#18 ·
DocAltie said:
Well I hope 26K gets 4x4 or I'll wait for a used one. It's snowing today, and my 4WD Martix is ripping right through it. It made me wonder why I would even spend the money.

Amazing value...
Snowing, what a dusting or two feet? My old Tercel was a snow beast, but it had it's limits! Your Matrix is not much different, it has limitations to where it can go.

They reality is the FJ, like a Tacoma or 4Runner would give you the ability to go almost anywhere, if you need it to. This is why I need this type of vehicle, it's not necessary for the majority of my driving, but without it I would be limited to where I could go, which for me is not an option.

So I guess you need to decide if it suits your needs or if it's complete overkill.

D

#19 ·
Checked out a Hummer dealership today and an H3, the way I want it, would cost 38-40K!!!! If a fully loaded FJ automatic is any higher than 30K, it's Xterra time. PLEASE TOYOTA, please keep the price down. I'm your young, adventurous, male buyer with an average income. Let me have my freedom.

#22 ·
marketable said:
Checked out a Hummer dealership today and an H3, the way I want it, would cost 38-40K!!!! If a fully loaded FJ automatic is any higher than 30K, it's Xterra time. PLEASE TOYOTA, please keep the price down. I'm your young, adventurous, male buyer with an average income. Let me have my freedom.
I really do think "suprising value" means "competetive". With what you ask? The Nissan Xterra of course. The 6 cylinder Xterra was the bulleye for Toyota when they had the FJ in the development stage. Remember, the FJ will come standard with low cost "Element" style rubber flooring, cheap black steel wheels, and uses an existing Toyota frame, engine, tranny, differential, and transfer case. The development costs were in the new FJ body and meeting all current safety standards, mainly side impacts (no B pillar). I do think the 2WD base FJC will be priced at $21,995, or about $1500.00 above the 2WD Nissan Xterra. We should find out officially within the next 3-4 weeks.

#23 ·
I can't wait!!!! Thanks to you guys (mini, prat, percy, topless csherril and others) I will be so much more prepared and won't get dooped by dealers. You've also made more obsessed over the FJ than I have about anything....THANKS GUYS!

#26 ·
But I wouldn't put 30k miles on an investment in the first year or ever take it offroad. ;)

I'm not that worried about it. If the price ends up being higher than expected, it will probably just mean I can get one with some rebates sooner than if they really were "a surprising value".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.