Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Prinsu has made it right and taken care of me. I won't be removing the post though

On November 3rd I put in an order for a Prinsu Designs roof rack for my 2010 Toyota FJ. I chose the rack because I like the design, look, and functionality it offers. I emailed the owner of the company to find out how long it would take and was told 2-3 weeks. This was the lead time for all the other racks I was considering so I went ahead and bought the rack and corresponding windscreen that has a cutout for my lightbar.

Cut to 11 weeks later and I still have not even received my rack. This is after multiple emails and excuses from the owner of the company. During this 11 weeks he had started and fulfilled a group buy on Tacomaworld.com of 25+ roof racks but obviously couldn’t be bothered to finish my product. In the 12th week I received my roof rack. I still like the design and got it assembled fairly quickly. A few problems popped up though, he sent me the wrong wind screen so now I can’t mount the rack until I get the right windscreen. I also only received enough bolts to attach half of the cross members, forcing me to go out and buy a product that I had already paid for (thinking I would actually be able to mount the rack)

Cut to 17 weeks later and I have not received the windscreen yet…once again multiple emails and multiple excuses about vendors and being busy. So I have had a roof rack sitting in my living room for 4 months with not much hope that I am going to get it installed. I have initiated a return of the product through the credit company and I am expecting it to be an ugly mess judging by the terrible service I have already received.

I am a lifelong diehard Toyota fan and own a Tundra, Tacoma, and FJ…I would have been a great spokesman for this company but after this experience I will be posting about my bad experience on all of the websites…I realize I will be bashed by the fanbois as not supporting the little American made product but this is my only recourse as a customer. I have not received a product that I was promised when I paid for it.

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
I think it's reasonable for you to return it for refund unless the vendor makes it right. If after you give the vendor every opportunity to correct it/make it right and still you cannot get a response then it's time for action. Just sucks it turns out that way on a product you really wanted.

Good luck OP!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Man, I feel ya, mine got sent to east coast by mistake, and then over to west coast to get to me, finally, when I got it, the cross bars were damaged, and I never got anywhere with UPS or the Prinsu owner to get it resolved. So I installed a beat up looking set of cross bars on what should have been a nice new rack. Frustrating for sure. Would have gotten the Baja had I known. I couldn't have sold this thing as new even when it was fresh off the UPS truck. Only reason I don't worry anymore is its up there on the roof where I don't see it all the time. Still bothers me how it was handled, both shipped incorrectly and man handled by UPS.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I like the rack, and I still do. I remember I email/ facebook messaged them like half an year ago, and never hear anything back at all. (but then I found my answer from tacoma world forum, after reading pages of stuff)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just so everyone knows. Zack from Prinsu reached out to me and has made things right...I am not going to take the post down as I think people should know, but he has taken the steps to fix the issue

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Glad Zach Scott is working to make it right. It's my impression that Zach is a victim of his own success. His products are so popular on the 4Runner and Tacoma forums they are constantly begging him for a group buy even before the current one has been fulfilled.

To my knowledge, Zach is a one man operation with a family and also works another job. At some point, he probably needs to either cut back on group buys or hire more people and maybe begin doing more in house work. I think nearly all the work is done by outside contractors.

Sometimes when I see the huge demand from Group Buys, I think the vendors would be better off just offering an ongoing forum member discount like something in the 5-10% range especially for the small operators to keep steady consistent business that would support hiring ongoing extra personnel and make business as usual a bit easier.
@ZUNAMI1....you might keep your eyes peeled over at TacomaWorld and toyota-4runner.org for group buys on racks. I have seen Baja, Gobi, FrontRunner and the current Rhino Rack group buy in the last 3-4 months. If you like the Rhino Rack products (and they look good to me), the current GB is 25% off. Was considering a RR roof rack for my daughter's 3rd gen 4runner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
oh, I am in the middle of it...
Got mine yesterday.
No hardware, no back L brackets.

Not wiling to next day hardware.
2 weeks on the brackets... I feel like they are pounding this stuff out on an anvil.

I have been on the mfg side, they need a box or training on how to properly pack long items.
They need to mfg a box for the long side parts.
pdf exploded view would be great, for instructions.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
oh, I am in the middle of it...
Got mine yesterday.
No hardware, no back L brackets.

Not wiling to next day hardware.
2 weeks on the brackets... I feel like they are pounding this stuff out on an anvil.

I have been on the mfg side, they need a box or training on how to properly pack long items.
They need to mfg a box for the long side parts.
pdf exploded view would be great, for instructions.
Yep,

I think they could benefit from better packaging. Less headaches and damaged stuff. Mine arrived intact and not bent but box ripped up pretty good. All parts were there. I just looked at the 4Runner install instructions.

Zach sold Prinsu to CBI Offroad out of Boise, ID. Anything purchased prior to Jun 16th was to be handled by Zach. Everything after that date is CBI. Are you working with Zach or CBI to get the rear brackets?

On the hardware, I just replaced all the hardware using tamper proof or safety Torx heads on all items in Stainless Steel and going with thicker washers that wont bend as easily. If you are thinking of going that route, I can dig out all my hardware orders and share with you from whom and what I purchased.

Like I said a number of posts back, Zach was a victim of his own success. People love the Tacoma racks, that is comes in alum using 80/20 type materials and can get it powdercoated for a great price. Other racks are $1K+. The down side is you had a one man part time operation with another job and wife and kids.

You'll get it resolved. FrontRunner ships out their racks quickly. Havent heard great stories about turnaround time on Gobi or Baja. I think Warrior and Rhino Rack have quick shipping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My point is it's not a complicated design.
Are they really getting 1000 orders per month? If so good for them.
I have been in mfg before, I get lead times, but also know how to mass fab parts.

I would have prob paid $100 more for a proper packing job.

Wondering if they water jet or laser cut parts.
Think about the design, and if you had all the materials and a router table.
You would cut out the part, and then bend the tabs in a brake.
Cut the pre-made alum extrusion.
Then send out to powder coat.
Bag up the hardware and ship out.

I get the side job deal, just to bad he couldn't quit his job and do that full time.
I love those products that only one person makes.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
My point is it's not a complicated design.
Are they really getting 1000 orders per month? If so good for them.
I have been in mfg before, I get lead times, but also know how to mass fab parts.

I would have prob paid $100 more for a proper packing job.

Wondering if they water jet or laser cut parts.
Think about the design, and if you had all the materials and a router table.
You would cut out the part, and then bend the tabs in a brake.
Cut the pre-made alum extrusion.
Then send out to powder coat.
Bag up the hardware and ship out.

I get the side job deal, just to bad he couldn't quit his job and do that full time.
I love those products that only one person makes.
Hard to be a one man operation even if its a full time gig. I think he was outsourcing nearly all the work for waterjetting/laser cutting, etc. and then dealing with design, pricing, admin, cust service, etc....and only doing when he wasnt doing his other job. Anyhow that was the whole idea of selling it to CBI Offroad. Now he will do design work for them and they can use their infrastructure to deal with all the production, customer service, pricing and fulfillment. Hopefully everyone will benefit (CBI, Zach, customers).

I dont think I ever said he was doing 1000 orders per month - i have no idea, but I would see the group buys at Tacoma World and Toyota-4Runner.org fill up very, very quickly.

Did you say that you are working with Zach or CBI to resolve your hardware and bracket issues?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
p.s. that is the beauty of competition in America. Nothing's stopping you (with manufacturing/production experience) from doing something similar. In fact, I saw something over at TW or Toyota-4Runner.org where it appears there is a competitive product that is very similar to Prinsu with nice handhold grips on the side rails to pull yourself up.

Every time you see a company with a high demand product and they are having issues means an opening for another entrepreneur to step up and see if he can do better.

FYI....I have no skin in this game. Dont know Zach. Not affiliated in any way other than having looked at the market, the alternatives and decided to buy a Prinsu for the FJ. Daughter's boyfriend bought one for his Tacoma DCSB and loves it. It's a good looking and functional rack on the Tacoma.

Frankly, I am thrilled anyone is even making FJ racks. I know that if I was in that business, the FJ would be very low on my list of marketing opportunities....even more so now that it was discontinued.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
p.s. that is the beauty of competition in America. Nothing's stopping you (with manufacturing/production experience) from doing something similar. In fact, I saw something over at TW or Toyota-4Runner.org where it appears there is a competitive product that is very similar to Prinsu with nice handhold grips on the side rails to pull yourself up.

Every time you see a company with a high demand product and they are having issues means an opening for another entrepreneur to step up and see if he can do better.

FYI....I have no skin in this game. Dont know Zach. Not affiliated in any way other than having looked at the market, the alternatives and decided to buy a Prinsu for the FJ. Daughter's boyfriend bought one for his Tacoma DCSB and loves it. It's a good looking and functional rack on the Tacoma.

Frankly, I am thrilled anyone is even making FJ racks. I know that if I was in that business, the FJ would be very low on my list of marketing opportunities....even more so now that it was discontinued.
Like somebody else had mentioned before, I think it is a get time to be making parts for the FJ. A lot of us are getting them paid off now and can sink that money into mods. Did I mention I just got my lien release last month and have already spent what would have been my next 3 payments on mods?

And yes, about 80% of it was spent with forum vendors!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Like somebody else had mentioned before, I think it is a get time to be making parts for the FJ. A lot of us are getting them paid off now and can sink that money into mods. Did I mention I just got my lien release last month and have already spent what would have been my next 3 payments on mods?

And yes, about 80% of it was spent with forum vendors!
so are all the people with 4Runners and Tacomas. Have you looked at the number of threads and posts over at some of the other Toyota forums? How about on the Jeep forums? If I am somebody trying make it in the aftermarket fabrication business, I am going to focus my efforts on where I have the biggest marketing opportunity first and then move on to lesser opportunities once I have exploited the bigger markets.

Can they make money on the FJ aftermarket parts? I would like to think so, but you are fooling yourself if you think there is anywhere near the opportunity with FJs as there is with other Toyotas and Jeeps, Chevys, Fords, Dodge, etc.

FJs are clearly riding on the coattails of what is happening with other Toyotas (Tacomas, 4Runners, Tundras). Even more so now that they have been discontinued.

·
Registered
203 Posts
so are all the people with 4Runners and Tacomas. Have you looked at the number of threads and posts over at some of the other Toyota forums? How about on the Jeep forums? If I am somebody trying make it in the aftermarket fabrication business, I am going to focus my efforts on where I have the biggest marketing opportunity first and then move on to lesser opportunities once I have exploited the bigger markets.

Can they make money on the FJ aftermarket parts? I would like to think so, but you are fooling yourself if you think there is anywhere near the opportunity with FJs as there is with other Toyotas and Jeeps, Chevys, Fords, Dodge, etc.

FJs are clearly riding on the coattails of what is happening with other Toyotas (Tacomas, 4Runners, Tundras). Even more so now that they have been discontinued.
So, with that being said ............ if you OFFER a product ....... and you ADVERTISE a product, then fill the orders in a timely fashion regardless if it's for a vehicle that has been discontinued, being discontinued is a totally mute point.
The lack of honest and prompt shipping times and what appears to be "marginal at best" customer support just pisses people off. This is NOT the way to run and build a successful business.

If, I am now a 2nd class customer because I drive a discontinued FJ ..... and I get treated as such, a valid dispute with my credit card company is only a phone call away, the payment is pulled back promptly. It's GOOD customer service on the credit card companies part.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

Lol, my other rig is an Isuzu. Stop whining. :)

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
So, with that being said ............ if you OFFER a product ....... and you ADVERTISE a product, then fill the orders in a timely fashion regardless if it's for a vehicle that has been discontinued, being discontinued is a totally mute point.
The lack of honest and prompt shipping times and what appears to be "marginal at best" customer support just pisses people off. This is NOT the way to run and build a successful business.

If, I am now a 2nd class customer because I drive a discontinued FJ ..... and I get treated as such, a valid dispute with my credit card company is only a phone call away, the payment is pulled back promptly. It's GOOD customer service on the credit card companies part.
Do you guys even bother to read the thread before posting?

Tell me where I said that its ok to ship slow or provide bad customer service just because the FJ is discontinued. One of the prior posters was talking a good game about how tough could it be and he could make this stuff and do it right. I merely posted and said that the great thing about America is you can put your money where your mouth is and step up and start making your own stuff for the FJ and do all the things that he believed were simple enough.

Then...someone went off on the tangent about FJs and people now havemoney to spend which since their are cheaper. Just merely pointing out a business man's perspective that the marketing opportunity for FJ aftermarket equipment aint what it used to be and isnt nearly as enticing for entrepreneurs as the huge markets for other models where they have produced hundreds of thousands of them and way beyond the limited numbers of FJs.

It's all just discussion and food for thought. I think you are totally taking my comments out of context and reading into them whatever you want.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do you guys even bother to read the thread before posting?

Tell me where I said that its ok to ship slow or provide bad customer service just because the FJ is discontinued. One of the prior posters was talking a good game about how tough could it be and he could make this stuff and do it right. I merely posted and said that the great thing about America is you can put your money where your mouth is and step up and start making your own stuff for the FJ and do all the things that he believed were simple enough.

Then...someone went off on the tangent about FJs and people now havemoney to spend which since their are cheaper. Just merely pointing out a business man's perspective that the marketing opportunity for FJ aftermarket equipment aint what it used to be and isnt nearly as enticing for entrepreneurs as the huge markets for other models where they have produced hundreds of thousands of them and way beyond the limited numbers of FJs.

It's all just discussion and food for thought. I think you are totally taking my comments out of context and reading into them whatever you want.
Yes, I read it several times.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts