Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a little dilemma....I'm looking to purchase a new roof rack to replace my current stock roof rack and I've narrowed it down to two choices. Personally, I actually really love the look of the stock roof rack, however for practicality's sake a full roof rack suites my needs better so I'm looking for some advice. The two that I've chosen are the Prinsu Designs FJ roof rack and the Frontrunner Slimline II roof rack. I picked these two for a couple reasons but mainly due to how modular they are. Of the two, I prefer the look of the Prinsu rack on the vehicle over the Slimline II, however I've heard that since CBI purchased Prinsu, they've had some quality and customer service issues. Frontrunner Outfitters is a solid company, I've heard great things about them, however they're more expensive (but I guess you get what you pay for). I just wanted to make a post on here to see if anyone who owns either rack has any pros or cons they'd like to share that could possibly help me decide. Any info helps! Thanks and I'm looking forward to reading all your guys' posts!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
There's a lot of reading about the Prinsu Rack in this thread here:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/551650-prinsu-designs-roofrac-fj.html

What you are reading about CBI and Prinsu is the opposite of my understanding. Zach Scott was the originator and as the Prinsu Rack got incredibly popular for the Tacomas/4Runners, he was inundated with business especially because he was running a lot of group buys. CBI purchased Prinsu and got their act together and are stocking/shipping them rather than build on demand. In my opinion after the initial kinks of the sale/transition were worked out, things seem to be better. Check the TacomaWorld forum for the latest feedback. Also it seems business is good enough, that CBI never runs group buys or discounts

My only issues with the Prinsu are that it is a DIY type of rack (read the thread to understand what I mean) and the price has gone up significantly. I originally bought mine under a group buy with 15% off and at the time the non-anodized, non powdercoated racks were $699 and the black powdercoated/black anodized was something like $60 upcharge. I got mine for ~$650 ($759 x $85%) which was a lot less expensive than Gobi, Baja, Frontrunner.

Here is a lot of discussion on the FrontRunner roof rack.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/171961-front-runner-roof-racks-any-good.html

I occasionally see group buys at TW for the FrontRunner racks and those sometimes include all their Toyota racks not just Tacomas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I've got a little dilemma....I'm looking to purchase a new roof rack to replace my current stock roof rack and I've narrowed it down to two choices. Personally, I actually really love the look of the stock roof rack, however for practicality's sake a full roof rack suites my needs better so I'm looking for some advice. The two that I've chosen are the Prinsu Designs FJ roof rack and the Frontrunner Slimline II roof rack. I picked these two for a couple reasons but mainly due to how modular they are. Of the two, I prefer the look of the Prinsu rack on the vehicle over the Slimline II, however I've heard that since CBI purchased Prinsu, they've had some quality and customer service issues. Frontrunner Outfitters is a solid company, I've heard great things about them, however they're more expensive (but I guess you get what you pay for). I just wanted to make a post on here to see if anyone who owns either rack has any pros or cons they'd like to share that could possibly help me decide. Any info helps! Thanks and I'm looking forward to reading all your guys' posts!

Cheers
Following since I'm in the same boat as you are... with wanting a new roof rack over stock and I can't decide either...

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,067 Posts
I’m in almost the same place as you for the same reasons, loving the look of the OE but hating it for use.

I narrowed my search to Rhino Rack and Front Runner. Ended up buying the Front Runner as I had a container coming over from South Africa making it a good value option. It will be with me next week and I’ll post up my thoughts then.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,067 Posts
Unboxed my Front Runner today. Started the assembly. I am impressed. Quality is good but even more so is the thought they’ve put into this thing. Right from the quality of the boxing and care of putting the parts together to the design and how modular it is... and a sheet of ‘added horsepower’ stickers too.

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
My only issues with the Prinsu are that it is a DIY type of rack
Yup... I don't know how much I spend (money and time) to look the way I wanted.

This is from last year. I modeled the custom wind deflector (and have it water jet) and now I have it coated with herculiner, also have 4x hella 550 mounted.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I like my Prinsu, but the packaging in their early days is no where near as elaborate as that Front Runner. Mine came with slight damage and couldn't get a response from them to address it. I could have gone either way, no complaints, but as a guess I would say the rear most brackets on the Prinsu don't quite match the angles and there's a twisting going on once I tighten everything down. The slots for adjustment help with one angle but don't address the slope to the side. I would guess Front Runner nailed that part better.

·
Desert Moderator
5,599 Posts
Unboxed my Front Runner today. Started the assembly. I am impressed. Quality is good but even more so is the thought they’ve put into this thing. Right from the quality of the boxing and care of putting the parts together to the design and how modular it is... and a sheet of ‘added horsepower’ stickers too.
Hi Sarah - What was the approx size & weight of the FR rack box?
Might pick one up next time I'm down in SA...

·
Registered
827 Posts
I looked at both those avenues and ultimately chose an Eezi Awn K9 rack 87x49 platform. One solid welded piece for the platform. Expedition proven and it is flat instead of recessed on the top.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,067 Posts
Hi Sarah - What was the approx size & weight of the FR rack box?
Might pick one up next time I'm down in SA...
Just the slimline is two boxes, the footplates and the main rack. They’re about 1.5-2m long, the main rack is about 40 x 20 cm and the other about half that. The main rack is probably 25kg the foot plates about 8kg...sorry very guestimated boxes now out with the trash. I might have an email somewhere with the info

·
Desert Moderator
5,599 Posts
Just the slimline is two boxes, the footplates and the main rack. They’re about 1.5-2m long, the main rack is about 40 x 20 cm and the other about half that. The main rack is probably 25kg the foot plates about 8kg...sorry very guestimated boxes now out with the trash. I might have an email somewhere with the info
Thanks S - that's fine. Those weights / dimensions shouldn't cause too many issues.
Is it steel or AL?

·
A-Team Moderator
7,941 Posts
Show me the foot plates please! I heard they changed from 1 long one on each to 6 individual "feet" as they called them, but it was a U.S. vs the rest of the world change. Then I heard they switched back to 1 long on each side.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,067 Posts
Thanks S - that's fine. Those weights / dimensions shouldn't cause too many issues.
Is it steel or AL?
Probably less than 4 Foxes...:wink
Aluminium

Show me the foot plates please! I heard they changed from 1 long one on each to 6 individual "feet" as they called them, but it was a U.S. vs the rest of the world change. Then I heard they switched back to 1 long on each side.
They are two pieces that bolt together to make a single shaped infill for the curved gap underneath the rack.
Sorry too dark for pics will do tomorrow

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,067 Posts
Well fitted up the FR today. Definitely a two person job. Made a few mistakes, like thining we’d mount the lights underneath before mounting the rack then having to take them off again so we could slide on the mounting bolts for the rack to footplates (not clear from the otherwise good instructions) we also found some of the slats weren’t machined perfectly so we couldn’t slide the mounting bolts on. So check them before you put it on the roof!

Overall though it’s well made and well designed. I’d have liked it sit closer to the roof like the Rhino Rack but I do prefer the slats running cross wise whilst Rhino run lengthways. I’ll get used to it! I added the expedition rails front and rear. It is so much more functional than the OE rack for sure.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts