Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
New to the forums, but have been lurking for a couple of years. I have a 2008 FJ with a Pro Comp 3" lift front/back. Recently the front drivers side strut has been squeaking something fierce and I am just starting to look for suspension alternatives. I am a little confused on what I need to look at for both the front and back. I'm guessing I need to replace the whole front strut assembly (spring and shock) to get what I am looking for. Same for the back? or can I get away with just new shocks? Here is a list of my wants in a new suspension package:
  • Better ride quality (pro comp is very stiff)
  • Mostly on road driving, but occasionally go off-road; nothing too crazy though.
  • Ride height would preferably be similar, could be a little lower if necessary (not more than 1").
  • Front suspension replacment is a priority, rear could wait until more funds are available!
If anyone has any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it! Only want to do this once!

Thanks!

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,315 Posts
There are lots and lots of threads on suspension here so suggest you search and research. Your choice depends on your budget which you’ve not mentioned, IMO ProComp is a very budget set up and not very good, on a tight budget I’d recommend the Toytec Bilstein set up, from there there are lots and lots of good set ups if you want to spend big.

If you want to do it just once then I suggest you overspec what you buy or as you do more with your FJ you’ll be wanting more from your set up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ZerosFJ, budget will be up to $1500. Will any front coilover that provides 2-3" of lift work for me?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts