Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
I did alot of research when I was looking at tires for my FJ. I talked w/ a few guys who had these on their trucks but no one at the time had them on a FJ. The reason I did not go w/ them is becuase (as much as I dont want to admit it) I do mostly highway driving. I drive about 40 miles each day on I-20 in Dallas. I was told that they are great but are supper soft and do not last very long. I then considered MAXXIS but my Dad ran them on his Nissan and the tread life was crazy short. I read about Mickey Thompson and really wanted a MT for when I finally decided to go off road and heard all good things about them so I went with the BAJA MTZ. I LOVE THEM. I have 8k on my FJ since January and have used them in the mud and rock and of course the highway. Noise is not an issue, no real wobble to speak of, and they look sweet. I know this is not really what you wanted but I hope it helps.

Good Luck

Luke

Attachments

·
965 Posts
I've been running mine for almost a year now.

I have some mixed feelings about them.

The good-
look great
work very well off-road
not too loud on the paved roads - I had BFG ATs that were louder
strong sidewall
Good in the rain due to the sipping in the tire (best MT I've ever run in the rain)

The bad-
They wear quickly on the street (trade off for good offroad performance)
Lower MPG then an AT or street tread (again a trade-off)

I had one tire have a lug chunk out at Ouray last year. I'm working with Procomp it figuring out why this happened. I ended up talking to the project manager of the tire and he was surprised it happened. I'm hoping for a new set if they want them back to analyze.

Overall I really like this tire.

G

·
PM cruiserlarry, who's run a LOT of different tires, as he recently told me that they're his favorite MT overall.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have some mixed feelings about them.

The good-
look great
work very well off-road
not too loud on the paved roads - I had BFG ATs that were louder
strong sidewall
Good in the rain due to the sipping in the tire (best MT I've ever run in the rain)

The bad-
They wear quickly on the street (trade off for good offroad performance)
Lower MPG then an AT or street tread (again a trade-off)
I run them on my jeep and the above is pretty much my exact analysis as well. I haven't run them in the rain though so I can't comment on that.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Aren't these trade offs going to be experienced with ANY MT tire? They are all gonna wear quickly on the road compared to an AT... right? I'm trying to decide on a MT to run on my new Spyderlock wheels and currently am leaning toward the Baja Claw or MTZ based on the recommendation of the guys at Poison Spyder. The only tire they said to specifically avoid is the BFG brand. The reason being that the bead is inconsistent in thickness so it is hard to get a good seal with the beadlocks that won't leak. He also said that they have had customers who had great difficulty balancing those tires due to the inconsistent thickness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.