Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently switched from the 4-foot FireStik to the 2-foot version (both adjustable tip type).

No problems at all previously tuning the 4-footer . . . . but I can't tune in a reading less than about 3.1 or 3.2 on the SWR with the 2-footer.

(I went the entire length of the tuning tip and back in tiny increments and I still can't get it down there.)

Anyone else have this problem? And if so, what remedies did you take?? :confused:

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine did that... so I brought it to the local CB shop.....they removed the adjuster pin and all is good....

Don't know if that will help you...but it fixed mine....
You mean they simply pulled the adjustable screw tip completely off?? And, that provided adequate SWR readings?

Hmmm . . . I'll give that a shot and see if it helps. Thanks. :)

·
NWFJCC Moderator
2,804 Posts
Steve that's what a friend of mine had to do as well with his two footer. Hope it works. I am going to go with a two footer as well since I ripped my longer antenna off last time I was out.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have the 2 footer also on a bandi, I got similair swr reading to u... couldn't talk past a mile even tho i could see the other rig. lemme know if removing the pin helps

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
This isn't really going to help with your current antenna, but I also recently switched to a 2-foot antenna and wanted to stick with a flexible antenna. Couldn't find anything flexible from Firestik in the 2-foot size so I went with the K40 2-ft Superflex. It has an adjustable tip and gets an excellent SWR and is more flexible than the taller Firestik I was using. Also tried it with the spring mount but it made it too tall for my garage. Maybe try the K40?

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I recently switched from the 4-foot FireStik to the 2-foot version (both adjustable tip type).

No problems at all previously tuning the 4-footer . . . . but I can't tune in a reading less than about 3.1 or 3.2 on the SWR with the 2-footer.

(I went the entire length of the tuning tip and back in tiny increments and I still can't get it down there.)

Anyone else have this problem? And if so, what remedies did you take?? :confused:
If you are mounting the 2' on the Bandi mount, the problem is not the antenna, but rather the antenna location. Radiation off the antenna surface is what makes an antenna work, and an antenna that has the majority of it's surface facing the metal rear door of the vehicle isn't going to work well. The adjustable pin on the antenna is to change it's effective length, relative to the wavelength of the frequency you are transmitting on. However, this will not help remove reflective surfaces nearby, like the rear door. The more of the antenna that is exposed above the vehicle (especially the upper third of the Firestik), the lower your SWR will be (if adjusted correctly), and the better your effective transmission range will be. In general, there's no substitution for height above other objects, especially the steel panels of the FJC...Good luck...:cheers:

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
If you are mounting the 2' on the Bandi mount, the problem is not the antenna, but rather the antenna location. Radiation off the antenna surface is what makes an antenna work, and an antenna that has the majority of it's surface facing the metal rear door of the vehicle isn't going to work well. The adjustable pin on the antenna is to change it's effective length, relative to the wavelength of the frequency you are transmitting on. However, this will not help remove reflective surfaces nearby, like the rear door. The more of the antenna that is exposed above the vehicle (especially the upper third of the Firestik), the lower your SWR will be (if adjusted correctly), and the better your effective transmission range will be. In general, there's no substitution for height above other objects, especially the steel panels of the FJC...Good luck...:cheers:
X2!

HEIGHT=MIGHT the higher/bigger the antenna the better your XMIT and RCV capabilities, especially when your SWR is adjusted correctly!

Mike

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I recommend that everyone go to firestiks website and read the tech library....
then go out to your rig with an ohm meter and swr meter and follow the directions exactly...
something as simple as tuning your antenna with the hood up or doors open can change everything.

Oh and larry is right on the money...when you transmit the antenna is energized...it can't "see" over the metal very well so on a bandi mount folks behind will hear you better than folks in front.
The best setup is either a mag mount or perm mount in the center of the roof...but most of us (including me, bandi and 4' blue firestik) don't like that.
Another option if you have the right front/rear bumper is 2 antennas in co-phase...also makes nice trail markers if front mounted.
Just a thought and I might do it myself someday.

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are mounting the 2' on the Bandi mount, the problem is not the antenna, but rather the antenna location.
The more of the antenna that is exposed above the vehicle (especially the upper third of the Firestik), the lower your SWR will be
That makes perfectly good sense, Larry. Thanks. :)

I still haven't tried a reading with the tuning tip removed (as previously suggested by Homedad), but I may have to return to my longer FireStik.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Another option if you have the right front/rear bumper is 2 antennas in co-phase...also makes nice trail markers if front mounted.
FWIW, I'm running a 4-1/2' ProComm quad-wound antenna (recommended by the radio shop that sold me my CB) mounted on my front bumper and I'm amazed at how far away I'm picking up. Haven't transmitted much on it yet but will be trying it out on the trail later this week.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
This is the same thing I was saying in the BANDI thread here. From what I could tell, this was definitely the problem...

Length matters!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
FWIW, I'm running a 4-1/2' ProComm quad-wound antenna (recommended by the radio shop that sold me my CB) mounted on my front bumper and I'm amazed at how far away I'm picking up. Haven't transmitted much on it yet but will be trying it out on the trail later this week.
I am not trying to pick on you or anything :) just offering info..
recptn vs trans are vastly diff...
Recptn = incoming, no effort on the antenna
Trans = energy going OUT through the antenna and if things are way out of wack that means heat inside the radio which means fried radio.

So you can have a radio that rec's from the otherside of the world but can't get accross the block....

Ground
Coax
SWR Meter
Test with someone

that is how you will know

Then when you are sick of static and trucker chatter jump into ham for FM quality and crazy range...test is easy and the equip is only $100-$200 for a great setup.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I am not trying to pick on you or anything :) just offering info..
No problem Lance; I am fairly radio ignorant and welcome your knowledge.

recptn vs trans are vastly diff...
Recptn = incoming, no effort on the antenna
Trans = energy going OUT through the antenna and if things are way out of wack that means heat inside the radio which means fried radio.

So you can have a radio that rec's from the otherside of the world but can't get accross the block....

Ground
Coax
SWR Meter
Test with someone

that is how you will know
Borrowed an SWR meter this morning and the eyeball antenna adjustment the radio shop did was almost spot-on; low, middle, and high channels all low readings and only 0.2 difference between them all.

I will test it on the road and on the trail later this week. I don't live close enough to a big highway to test the transmit now.

Then when you are sick of static and trucker chatter jump into ham for FM quality and crazy range...test is easy and the equip is only $100-$200 for a great setup.
Funny you should mention it because I have just recently decided to get my license. Can you recommend a good manual or book to study for the tests?

Thanks Lance.

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine did that... so I brought it to the local CB shop.....they removed the adjuster pin and all is good....
Don't know if that will help you...but it fixed mine....
Nope. I tried that, too. Still can't get a appropriate/safe reading on the SWR with the two-footer. :(

To be on the safe side, it looks like I'll be returning to the three-footer (which allows for a near-perfect SWR reading).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts