Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we got our fj new last year and have put 8k miles on it now. i already have some issue with it.
1st problem- took it in for a brake pedal noise. it makes this squishing noise when brake pedal is press. tech say it is normal from the brake assist system that these fj contain. i would figure that the engineer would do a better job with this design(noise free).
2nd problem- i have 2 crack windshields already from the way the windshield is design.things like rocks and bugs just love hitting against it. its not as aerodynamic as most vehicles, that i understand. the wind noise is also a big thumbs down. i have to take it back to the shop 3 times for them to correct the problem with the windshield installation due to wind catching the upper molding of the windshield. with the windshield problem fixed, wind noise is still a problem with my fj.
3rd problem- when coming to a stop then releasing the brake to go. I feel this thump as i release the brake peddle. the tech said its from the drive shaft loading up. its normal. man,alot of weird normal stuff going on here or is toyota not wanting to face the problem?
4rd problem- i don't know if this is normal or i have to take in to the dealer to have it look at. with 4hi ON trying to make a narrow U-turn. the fj starts to do a little jerking motion. i don't think this is normal. what do you guys think? have you guyz experience any of these problems before?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've noticed your 3rd problem happen to me a few times but never really thought too much of it. Its only happened to me a hand full of times. I hope it doesn't get worse.

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
I've noticed the squishing noise too when pressing brake pedal.

·
Registered
255 Posts
1. This is really common, my FJ does this and there are several threads on going regarding this "issue".

2. Once again ultra common, the FJ is a loud vehicle IMO, the windshield is also known for cracking very easily due to hits high angle.

3. My FJ does the same thing, I honestly don't know the story with that one.

4. Is this an auto FJ? If so you shouldn't have the 4wheel engaged when your not on a slippery, wet, or hard to gain traction on surface.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have experienced #3 on my 2008. I would like to know what causes it, almost feels like someone has bumped into ya. It is feels as though it is shifting into 1st post break release.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
To start off with i am certainly no authority any of the issues listed. These are just my observations.

1st: It kinda sounds you are pressing way to hard on the brake pedal at a standstill. I would guess that the "squishy" sound is the booster trying to bleed off the excess pressure you are applying. Just apply enough pressure to keep from rolling instead of mashing down when your stopped.

2nd: Windshield... it is what it is. A big vertical target. Wind noise (and buffeting), I find it difficult to drive with the side windows down at anything over 45mph. I'm installing some window vents later today to see if that alleviates some of that issue.

3rd: The thump or lurch that feels like your getting rear ended may be common but it certainly isnt normal. just took my FJ in yesterday for that (and a couple other minor issues) and was told there is nothing to be done at fix this atm and it is "under investigation by toyota"

4rd(?): I am guessing you have an auto trans and are doing the tight u-turn on dry pavement. Don't. What your feeling is the driveline binding up and is def not good for it. Only use 4hi/low in a straight line, on dirt or loose material so that wheels can slip when needed to prevent the binding.

If anyone see's I misstated anything please feel free to correct it.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
x2 on the surface. Most 4WD vehicles (non full time AWD) do not deal with turning tight radius on hard dry surfaces and its not great for them having 4WD engaged at all really on a hard dry surface.

I went from the latest gen Tacoma to the FJ and honestly I was pretty impressed by the wind noise compared to what I expected. It's just not a aerodynamic machine...

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
My first thought was 'You're kidding, right?', but I guess not everyone is as accepting of the FJ's foibles. That plus you would expect someone to actually research the vehicle they intend to buy. Not trying to bag on the OP, but the majority of auto consumers really do seem to be better off with the regular 'appliances' that the rest of the masses enjoy.

I should probably apologize for assuming such things when I see this is someone's first post... :cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
syncitizen: thanks for the helpful info. yeah my fj is an automatic. the owners manual said to use the 4wd 10miles minimum per month so thats why i did what i did not knowing much about the 4wd road requirement. but now i know and thank you. I hope toyota will have a recall on problem #3. i talk to a friend with problem #1, he said he got the same problem with the squishing noise on his sequoia and his booster was the problem. toyota finally changed it out after his warranty ended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SWITAWI: when you got your newly purchase fj did you notice all these issue that is happening normal? or did you ask question and find answer for it?

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
problem #3 is a common issue with the FJ and 4runner. between my wife and i we have had 2 FJ's and 3 4runners. it is caused by torque loading on the drive shaft. i think there is a tsb. but the fix is greasing the center bearing.

·
fka rsidey
926 Posts
I can say that I had a crack and shattered windshield within the first 4 months of purchasing my Fj. Replaced it with an aftermarket one (not from Toyota) and it is WAY more durable. I've taken several hits that would have cracked the factory one and didn't even get a pit.

If you have issue with the brakes just wait till you hit a bump at high speed while applying the brake and the anti-lock kicks in......HANG ON FOR A WILD RIDE.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
To start off with i am certainly no authority any of the issues listed. These are just my observations.

1st: It kinda sounds you are pressing way to hard on the brake pedal at a standstill. I would guess that the "squishy" sound is the booster trying to bleed off the excess pressure you are applying. Just apply enough pressure to keep from rolling instead of mashing down when your stopped.

2nd: Windshield... it is what it is. A big vertical target. Wind noise (and buffeting), I find it difficult to drive with the side windows down at anything over 45mph. I'm installing some window vents later today to see if that alleviates some of that issue.

3rd: The thump or lurch that feels like your getting rear ended may be common but it certainly isnt normal. just took my FJ in yesterday for that (and a couple other minor issues) and was told there is nothing to be done at fix this atm and it is "under investigation by toyota"

4rd(?): I am guessing you have an auto trans and are doing the tight u-turn on dry pavement. Don't. What your feeling is the driveline binding up and is def not good for it. Only use 4hi/low in a straight line, on dirt or loose material so that wheels can slip when needed to prevent the binding.

If anyone see's I misstated anything please feel free to correct it.
I'd say he is on the money.

Do you like your FJ? I mean... Are you passionate about it, or is it just transportation ? To be honest you sound like it was just a vehicle that you liked the design of and bought. You have to realize the overwhelming (myself included) majority of people on this site are completely head over heels in love with their FJ's. That being said, yes we know their are issues, but you don't want to hurt your baby's feelings.

To your list.

1st. I don't have this problem. So I don't know anything about it.

2nd. Yep, the windshield sucks. Thats what insurance is for. And yes it's loud. It's a box on wheels. If you wanted quite you should have walked across the street to the Lexus dealership.

3rd. I have this. If a recall comes out over it, I'll get it fixed. For now, it's just a thud every now and then. Not worried about it.

4th. You need crappy traction to use 4wd, or else you get drivetrain binding on turns.

Welcome aboard. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I can say that I had a crack and shattered windshield within the first 4 months of purchasing my Fj. Replaced it with an aftermarket one (not from Toyota) and it is WAY more durable. I've taken several hits that would have cracked the factory one and didn't even get a pit.

If you have issue with the brakes just wait till you hit a bump at high speed while applying the brake and the anti-lock kicks in......HANG ON FOR A WILD RIDE.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. It'll make your @sshole pucker up and try to eat your pants.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd say he is on the money.

Do you like your FJ? I mean... Are you passionate about it, or is it just transportation ? To be honest you sound like it was just a vehicle that you liked the design of and bought. You have to realize the overwhelming (myself included) majority of people on this site are completely head over heels in love with their FJ's. That being said, yes we know their are issues, but you don't want to hurt your baby's feelings.

To your list.

1st. I don't have this problem. So I don't know anything about it.

2nd. Yep, the windshield sucks. Thats what insurance is for. And yes it's loud. It's a box on wheels. If you wanted quite you should have walked across the street to the Lexus dealership.

3rd. I have this. If a recall comes out over it, I'll get it fixed. For now, it's just a thud every now and then. Not worried about it.

4th. You need crappy traction to use 4wd, or else you get drivetrain binding on turns.

Welcome aboard. :cheers:

of course i love my fj. that's why i bought it. if my fj have problems im gonna address it and find away to fix it. better than sitting in the dark not knowing and ignore the problem telling myself its normal. if you love something you gonna care for it and not ignore its problems. im trying to fix what i know that can be fix and not wait for the warranty to run out. im not one of those guyz that ignore the problem and say its normal for the vehicle i love to make these thump and squishing noise. i work on performance cars but new to the off road stuff that is why im asking questions. have any one put in a complaint to toyota about these thumping and squishing noise? im pretty sure we can come up with a massive list of names and turn it into the recall complaints department or something.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
most of this stuff has been already addressed and can be found doing a "search".

It's good that you've taken into consideration to put it in 4wheel drive now and then, but ALWAYS makes sure it's not on dry pavement. As for the windshield, seems you need to find a better or more experienced installer.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Dude my fenders could fall off driving down the hiway and I'd still love my fj...

oh wait that's already happening :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts