Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, first time poster. Great looking forum!

I was a guest at the TMS Christmas Party and took the opportunity to schmooze with the higher ups about future product, including FJC. One of the suits I spoke with turned out to be the guy responsible for production ordering for distribution to all the regions. He said the original forecast of 40,000 was scaled back to 25,000 in light of current events like fuel costs and increased emphasis on hybrids. Doing the math, that equals a little over one per dealer per month. Get your orders in now, these things will be scarce, I think.

Of course I don't pretend to second guess the marketing types at TMS and have no connection to them, but it seems like demand will exceed constrained supply all too soon.

The most interesting thing he said was that a Special Edition will be available at intro. That explains my unimaginative but hopeful username here. Any FJC will be rare, but the SE (whatever the color/content is) should be very special indeed.

I've been #1 in line at my dealer since last January and called to change spec to an SE the day after the party. I'll post more if it becomes available.

Bob

·
Registered
647 Posts
I dunno. I suppose it's possible, but is this something Toyota would really want to do on such a highly anticipated new model? Limiting supply only helps the dealers, not the manufacturer... Maybe if Toyota marketing believes world factors might limit the purchase of the vechicle... But wouldn't those factors effect their whole product line? Why just limit a new hot vehicle... ? No offense 4703, but this smells a little like W's Uranium to Iraq story...

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
air said:
there's no way that they'll built on 25,000 of them.

what is the special edition model?
it's all....um.......black. Kinda like those big Excursions you see roaming the streets or something. I don't think it's very FJ-ish

·
Registered
34 Posts
Few ideas:

1. Limit production so that all of the Shark-Jumpers will pay MSRP thus providing Toyota with a bigger margin and less production costs. Really good idea. Plus next year they will have a secondary Shark-Jumper rush.

2. Seems like a rush to have a 2007 vehicle in early 2006. Maybe mfg issues?

3. I 100% agree on the gas costs, and hybrid technology is best served in larger vehicles for everyday use on the road as the FJ will be used 95% of the time.

My big question: If in fact Toyota is directly marketing the new FJ to "hard core" off-road fans, why the consern for fuel economy? I already know the answer...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read that FJC will be built at the Tahara flagship plant, but don't know if that's accurate. If so, that's where the new IS and GS are built. Sales estimates for those have doubled, so maybe there's production capacity constraints.

Like I wrote, I'd never second guess the product planners. I remember when the MR2 Spyder rolled out in 2000. Everyone was upset that only 5,000/year were being made, although in one of the boutique factories. It turned out supply met demand perfectly after the first few months of pent up demand were satisfied.

I was told the SE will be Triple Black (roof, body and interior), but I'm not sure which of four Toyota/Lexus blacks.

Oh, and please keep the asinine political comments out of my threads. Take it to Off Topic if you must.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
DocAltie said:
Few ideas:

1. Limit production so that all of the Shark-Jumpers will pay MSRP thus providing Toyota with a bigger margin and less production costs. Really good idea. Plus next year they will have a secondary Shark-Jumper rush.

2. Seems like a rush to have a 2007 vehicle in early 2006. Maybe mfg issues?

3. I 100% agree on the gas costs, and hybrid technology is best served in larger vehicles for everyday use on the road as the FJ will be used 95% of the time.

My big question: If in fact Toyota is directly marketing the new FJ to "hard core" off-road fans, why the consern for fuel economy? I already know the answer...
I understand where your going with this but:

1) A dealer selling a FJ for MSRP or even $5K over MSRP does not put any additional money in Toyota's pocket. The diff between cost to produce and what dealer's pay is Toyota's markup, the price diff between what dealer's pay and what you the customer pays is the dealers margin.

2) This is possible. However this isn't the first time a mfg'r has done this. I know I keep going back to this but Jeep did the same thing with the launch of the redesigned 1997 Wrangler.

3) Gas costs could cause Toyota to rethink their production plans but as SUV's go, the FJ should be at the upper end of MPGs.

Just my 2 cents,
Granger

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
has anybody had the notion that golly, they may just be sparking **** in this forum just to have a laugh? and dig out what exactly will sell? hmmmm, possibly these marketing guys are savy to these forums and are just trolling for info and laughing when they see us all getting all uppity at the mention of reduced rollout - colors - cupholders - sleeping room - convertible - transmissions - tires - white roofs - and best of all,....heated seats (bisquit warmers).

i just want picutres. i dont care about price, i dont care about options. just get the friggin base model - paint it however you want, fix it up however you want. the moment i get mine im taking it to the paint shop and strippin it down and having my way with it anyway.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Out of curiosity, why do forum members think there will be such hot demand? Nobody that I have talked to outside of this forum has ever heard of it. Whereas I love the looks, I am not sure that the average Mom and Pop will. Heck, even the dealers don't know much about and dont seem to interested (at least around here).

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
DocAltie said:
Few ideas:

Well for one, any discerning potential FJ customer should be concerced about fuel economy. Look, it's like this, whether you like it or not we are in fact running out of oil. If oil use continues to raise as it has every year since the dawn of the automobile, some experts say we will have less than 10 years worth of gas left! So, yeah some of us are concerned with fuel economy. Some of us don't have stock in petroleum companies and $3 a gallon makes it real hard to have anything left to enjoy life with! So fuel economy is important.

The powers that be have speculated that we can extend our supplies of oil for over another 50 years if everyone were to purchase a vehicle that got as little as one mile per gallon better.

I plan to do a little better than that by nearly tripling my gas mileage by purchasing the FJ. Yes, I plan to drive off-road. Yes, I plan to use it as my daily driver. But, when the US is finally invaded by another world power because we keep voting for morons to represent us to the rest of the universe (YES W, I'M TALKIN' BOUT YOU NUMBNUTZ), I want to know I have more than 30 miles worth of range to my vehicle. Therefore, Doc, mileage is important...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a New Beetle diesel and get 35 in town and 45 on the hwy. I plan to keep it as my commuter and drive the FJ one the weekends and maybe one day out of the week for the fun of it. the beetle is five years old and has 165K on it. I dont want to put that kind of mileage on the FJ that fast.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Percy said:
Well for one, any discerning potential FJ customer should be concerced about fuel economy. Look, it's like this, whether you like it or not we are in fact running out of oil. If oil use continues to raise as it has every year since the dawn of the automobile, some experts say we will have less than 10 years worth of gas left! So, yeah some of us are concerned with fuel economy. Some of us don't have stock in petroleum companies and $3 a gallon makes it real hard to have anything left to enjoy life with! So fuel economy is important.

The powers that be have speculated that we can extend our supplies of oil for over another 50 years if everyone were to purchase a vehicle that got as little as one mile per gallon better.

I plan to do a little better than that by nearly tripling my gas mileage by purchasing the FJ. Yes, I plan to drive off-road. Yes, I plan to use it as my daily driver. But, when the US is finally invaded by another world power because we keep voting for morons to represent us to the rest of the universe (YES W, I'M TALKIN' BOUT YOU NUMBNUTZ), I want to know I have more than 30 miles worth of range to my vehicle. Therefore, Doc, mileage is important...

Thanks for keeping politics in it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
How about a politics section, that way I can avoid that section. I think we are coming here for the FJ info that is hard to find not debate issues and politics. Not to mention I think an off-road forum might lean in different political direction than the Prius forum, either way I hope they make 40,000 units.

How about a thread called Production Increases to 60,000?

Just the facts Mamm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, we have abnormal pathology on display. It's called BDS, Bush Derangement Syndrome.

For those of you interested in pricing, I'll post it to another forum with competent moderators. Do a search, Google should index it soon after posting early next month. Good luck to all of you with your FJ Cruisers.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Well you know, some times you really have to break it down in order for some folks to get it!

·
Registered
228 Posts
WOW...sounds like the fat kid that lost at kickball.
"I think I'll take my ball and go home."

What did Percy have to do with any of that?
We'll know the pricing prior to next month, so what kind of odd threat is that?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Fretjock said:
Out of curiosity, why do forum members think there will be such hot demand? Nobody that I have talked to outside of this forum has ever heard of it. Whereas I love the looks, I am not sure that the average Mom and Pop will. Heck, even the dealers don't know much about and dont seem to interested (at least around here).

Fretjock, VERY GOOD POINT-We all would like to think that everyone thinks like us here, but......
I said this in one of my very first post and was told I was crazy !!! I live in Ohio and people have no idea what i am talking about, let alone share in my enthusiasm about the Fj. Thats half the reason I joined this forum.
Obviously the marketing strat has been geared to the west coast and for good reason.

There are so many factors right now. I just hope that if production is scaled back, original pricing won't go up...

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Fretjock said:
I have a New Beetle diesel and get 35 in town and 45 on the hwy. I plan to keep it as my commuter and drive the FJ one the weekends and maybe one day out of the week for the fun of it. the beetle is five years old and has 165K on it. I dont want to put that kind of mileage on the FJ that fast.
how has your Beetle faired w/ that much mileage? My GTI is 5 yrs old and only has 51K, and I was afraid things were going to start breaking soon....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts