Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washington Post Car Guy went to the event and.......

Warren Brown: Read my Sunday Car Culture column, Denver. The SUV market is alive and doing reasonably well. In fact, the reason I drove to South Carolina in the first place was to take a look at Toyota's--that's right, Toyota's--new, more rugged-than-thou Hummer H3 fighter, the 2007 Toyota FJ. I can't reveal more on that one for several weeks. But here's betting that Toyota sells way more than the 46,000 annual sales of FJ SUVs it has planned.

SUVs aren't anywhere near dead. Sales are falling because SUV poseurs are leaving. But that core crowd isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Watch those FJ sales. They will be amazing.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
the soccer moms cant afford their lattes and phone bills if gas prices are this high. also hybrid is the suv. smurf blue is the new silver. now if i can only just get my hands on just one of those 46k 2007s.............oh yes.........

·
Registered
647 Posts
That's what I'm sayin': The FJC took its design q's from the Hummer (except the retro grill), not from the FJ40, as Toyo would like us to believe... It's designed to be a hummer competitor (killer, from the price), but being marketed to the nostalgia off-road crowd as a place to gain word-of-mouth... Is any of this bad? No, not really, except for those of us who wanted something more like the FJ 40s, 70s, that was affordable. AND A FRICKIN' DIESEL!!! TOYOTA, ARE YOU LISTENING ???? EVEN HUMMER OFFERS A DIESEL AND MOST OF THOSE GO TO SOCCOR MOMS AND HOLLYWOOD YUPPIES !!! OFFER A SMALL DIESEL 4X4 OPTION AND YOU'LL KILL THE COMPETITION!!!!

Sorry, way too little caffiene 'dis mornin'

Spikey.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More info from the WaPost Guy, a good article I might add.

Under the rules of the game of automotive product previews, I am not allowed, at the moment, to share more details about the FJ Cruiser. But it's enough to say it's designed to go after the Hummer H3 and, perhaps, the new Jeep Commander.

In other words, good people, instead of preparing the SUV for interment, the world's biggest car companies are getting their game on in pursuit of core-buyer SUV sales. Core-buyers are people who actually need SUVs, and who actually enjoy the adventure of taking them off-road.

Toyota believes that there are enough core-buyers in America to sustain sales of 46,000 FJ Cruisers annually. But Toyota officials privately concede that they are likely to sell many more than that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/17/AR2005121700331.html

·
Registered
88 Posts
mappelman said:
.... But it's enough to say it's designed to go after the Hummer H3 and, perhaps, the new Jeep Commander.
That would only go to show how uninformed the guy is.
While the H3, the Commander, and FJ are all "new" trucks, there is a bit of a difference in the target market.
The commander seats 7 plus some cargo and the FJ has no pretention of seating that many. It starts at 28k for a 4x2. I'd think more of a Suburban/Expedition or LandCruiser/Sequoia competitor.
The H3 might be a little closer, it's a 5 passenger, but it is part of GM. It's cache derives more from who buys it than it's capabilities. 29-32k in price. No question some would buy it because it is a hummer just like some (me) would buy a FJ because it's a Toyota.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
The commander only seats 7 if they are midgits. I can't even fit into the driver's seat. It's freakin' pathetic. The H3 makes me throw up a little bit into my mouth everytime I see it and there hasn't been anything badass out of GM since the K5! Ford might be able to yank a decent production model concept bronco out of it's ass if they ditch the festiva platform - other than that the only competition is the xterra which is sorry by design and the liberty wrangler arena which are both semi obnoxious in their own right.

The FJ is going to stomp a mudhole in the competition. Buy stock now.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here doggy doggy calm down and think about this for a second. Who here or anywhere uses all the seats anyways. I mean off road ability doesn't need to have that much seating. Who here has more than 4 people in their vehicle more than once a month? Maybe it's just me but more than 5 seats is just minivanish. I happen to think that writer is right on (no pun) . If we didn't have the FJ what would we have right now as options that we would really want..........keep thinking.....well there is the Tacoma but it's a truck and rides like it......4 ru$$er but that's to pricey......jeep/hummer. Maybe an Xtera was an option but not really core off road ability more like rough trail riding...exactly if you didn't want a cruiser more than 10 years old what were your options. So Toyota comes in with what we think is the best idea in about ohhh 30 years since they quit making core vehicles.

I think you are wrong on the competition statement, Toyota will start with the FJ, work off it's intended success and most likely follow up with more and more market share grabbing vehicles. So the writer is correct in stating that hummer and jeep are in for a karate chop..... :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
That article is really encouraging because he is exaclty right about the posuers driving SUVs. They are all moving to crossovers and wagons which will allow SUVs to return to being simple, durable, and capable. The FJ Cruiser and H3 are good examples of this.

I remember reading Waren Brown's review of the LR3. He and actually took it off-road. He described driving it with the midset that all of its fancy electronics that come in the land rover would keep him moving, but he got it good and stuck and had to watch all the old Fords, Chevys, and Toyotas drive right by him. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts