Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this key on eBay because my FJ only had 1 key when I bought it. This has the same ID and transponder chip from what I can tell.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283440530297

I used the programming procedure listed here:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/109652-step-step-how-program-key-fob-new-existing-4.html

The locks cycled once to confirm programming and the key will lock/unlock the door but it won't start the truck. I tried to search for this issue but couldn't find any answers. Any help or ideas is appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Your programming is not correct.

Any key with the correct "cut" will open the door locks and turn the ignition switch cylinder, but the transponder in the key must communicate with the ignition-enable module in the vehicle. If no communication, the engine will crank but not fire.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought one from ebay as well for about $18. Locksmith cut and would not start vehicle either
Same exact thing. Contacted the seller about possible bad chip, and just got the run around. Long story short the locksmith ordered me one for about $25, and 100 to program for me. So finally have a transponder key that works. Mine only had one as well. Figured cheaper to have an extra than risk losing the one key I had.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your programming is not correct.

Any key with the correct "cut" will open the door locks and turn the ignition switch cylinder, but the transponder in the key must communicate with the ignition-enable module in the vehicle. If no communication, the engine will crank but not fire.
The key will unlock and lock using the buttons as well as the physical locks. So it programed but the immobilizer isn't seeing it or something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The key will unlock and lock using the buttons as well as the physical locks. So it programed but the immobilizer isn't seeing it or something.

Not sure if you have figured out your spare key. Here is why: The instructions you followed only program your key fob (lock/unlock features). To make your key talk to the engine, you have to follow different instructions. I have an 08 FJ and came with only one key. I got a key from eBay (just like yours), but didn't check the FCC ID, so it won't program lock/unlock features, but did manage to use the same instructions to make it start the engine (got the key cut at HomeDepot for free), even though the instructions suggest using a different type of key. Just make sure to put that tiny black chip in your remote before you try (Note: you have to open the cover just like how you have to replace the cell battery and you will see a gap).

If it doesn't work, you may have to get the third-party software TechStream to program the key. You could google search it online. This method requires you to use OBDII cable. So based on my research:
1. The ignition2-door2-ignition1-door2-ignition in+door+ignition on method - to program your key remote.
2. The ignition5-door6-new key (with a chip) method - to program immobilizer (not sure if applies to all year models).
3. The TechStream method - to be able to do lots of things.

Something to consider before buying from eBay:
1. Make sure your key FCC ID matches (you have to remove your master key cover to see it).
2. Make sure you put in the tiny black chip in your key (I almost threw it away).
3. The staff at my HomeDepot was very nice to cut it for free. AceHardware charges $5 to cut, but $200 to program the remote and the chip (somehow I thought they would be cheaper, but no).

Good luck

·
Registered
251 Posts
I also bought a key off of of Ebay for my 11, had it cut by a dealer by the VIN, tried programing it by Youtube, but found out you can't program it yourself. I have a remote starter, I can start it with that, unlock it with remote fob or key, and insert it in ignition and turn to run. This is my spare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts