Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FJ Cruiser TT #885/2500
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased 2 more keys online, and then had the dealership cut the key to work. (Dealership is 150$ a key, online it’s 48$ for 2 + 25$ a key to have cut at the dealership)

The key must be programmed before the engine will even start as there is electric connection between the key and ignition.

I have looked on here and found 2007 instructions but it did not work. Does anyone have any info on how to program the new remotes?

Thanks In Advance.

~ Brian

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lovely. SMH. Thanks for the reply.

I guess it’s good there is a built in kill switch, when I tried to turn it over it just acted like the starter was bad.

as long as it’s less then 225$ to program 2 keys, I guess I’m still saving money compared to 150$ a key from the dealership.

Going forward a “TILE” key finder will be on my keychain with a WORKING BATTERY.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
i found a locksmith that cut the key and programmed it for $50. it took him less than 10 minutes.
Same. Not for my FJ, but I bought 2 keys for my Camry on Amazon for $28, then had a locksmith cut and program both for $70. Two keys for under $100 is way less than the dealer had quoted me for one key.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i found a locksmith that cut the key and programmed it for $50. it took him less than 10 minutes.
Thanks a ton for letting me know. 6 locksmiths replied on YELP, and all where 80-105$, but because I said I was in no rush and would drive to them I negotiated on down to 50$ to program 2 backup keys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts