Discussion Starter #1
607's Project Adaptation

My Army Green FJ:

“We first make our habits, then our habits make us.”
― John Dryden

Purpose of build:
Simple…To have fun and look good doing it!:rocker:

The name…
When I hear the word adaptation I think of something that has changed or has the ability to change. The primary reason why I love off roading is because it gives me that since of adventure into the unknown. Because I don’t know what type of obstacles I may face off the beaten path I need to understand how to adapt to those changes in order to make it back home safely. So during my build things will change because I may not like the look, parts need replacing, new things come out or simply it doesn’t fit my need. That’s why I chose “Adaptation”.

My storythe short version I swear
I come from a pretty long list of modifying vehicles so I’ve had the mod bud for several years now. My last vehicle was a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that I purchased after spending a year in Iraq dreaming about it. After several thousands of dollars spent and worthless trips to the dealership it had to go. I loved that Jeep but for it to be my daily driver it simply had too many issues so it had to go.

About 2 months ago I started my search for the next project. I spent countless nights on different forums patiently waiting for something to jump out at me. But it never happened. In my mind the only thing I knew I wanted was a Toyota. It didn’t matter if it was a SUV or Truck it just needed to be a Toyota because of how reliable they are.

After considering a Tacoma, couple different Land Cruisers and a Lexus I finally narrowed it down to a Trail Edition 4Runner. And before I knew it I had a pre-approved loan and was at the dealership to purchase a 2013 Silver Trail Edition. Unfortunately they wouldn’t give me enough money on my Jeep and I had to pass. A couple days went by and by now I had been to every dealership in the area that had a Trail 4Runner. None of them gave me enough so the search continued.

By now I’m thinking its Gods will for me to keep the Jeep and just live with all the issues. But then again God loves me because after taking the wrong turn off the highway I came up to a stop light and guess what I saw across the street….

A lifted Army Green FJ. When I saw this thing I was like daaaaannngg that’s nice. And since I haven’t done a tone of research on FJ’s I figured I would go check it out and see how it drove. So needless to say after they appraised my Jeep for a good price and I ended up with a big smile on my face and now I have a wonderful machine

Since I purchased it with mods already done I personally don’t have a before pic but I asked the sales person for one and this is what they gave me:
Before:

After they got it back from Rim Source:

Factory Specs:
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Army Green
Automatic
Hands-free phone and music operation via Bluetooth
Back up camera
Convenience and Upgraded Package

Current Modifications

Suspension
- 3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift

Lighting
- Replaced dome lights with LEDs
- 2x 540 PIAA Lights (Going to mount to bumper)
- 4x 7" HID Off Road Lights (Mounted to BajaRack Light bar)

Armor
- FAB FOUR Front Bumper
- Tail Light Guards by RealWheels
- White Knuckle Rock Sliders

Communication
- Cobra 75 Radio

Engine
- Airaid CAI

Recovery & Storage
- Baja Rack Low Profile Mesh Roof
- 48" Hi-Lift Jack (Handle Isolator, Cover, Hard Case)
- Custom Rear Shelf
- Zulu Molle Visor Panel
- Molle Pouch above glove box
- Pelican Rifle Case secured to roof rack
- Costume made drawer system for cargo area
- Badlands 12,000lb Winch

Wheels & Tires
- 18" XD Series Crank Rims
- 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
- Spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers

MISC
- 10" Baja Rack Light Bar
- Blacked Out Mirrors, Bumper Parts, Handles
- Painted Black Roof
- Ultragauge
- Husky Floor Mats
- Co2 System

Planed Modifications
- Ricochet skid plates
- TRD Cat bat
- And lots more that I still need to research

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
Looks good!

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
nice rig! welcome.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wanted to get some more pictures up of my rig.

Here they are:

Fab Four Front Bumper

Pro-Comp Lift (nothing special but it rides great):

RealWheels Tail light Guards:

Baja 10" Light Bar:

LED Dome Lights (thanks to another forum member...Hewster):

Roof Lights Switch:

18" XD Cranks:

Baja Low Profile Rack:

2x 5" PIAA / 2x 6" PIAA Lights:

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So one of the first mods I did was add a cool Army badge to the back.

This is how it came:

And after using a high quality double sided sticky tape this is the finished product:

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was kinda disappointed at first when I realized that the FJ didn't have a way of displaying average MPG or miles to empty...but then again it gave me more of a reason to buy an Ultragauge.

I used some double sided tape and cardboard to mount this. That way I can still use the buttons with out taking it off the dash.

Here are some pics:

It's actually kinda small:

The back side:

Tape I used to mount it:

I cut out a small square piece of cardboard to attached the gauge to the dash:

Placed the cardboard to the gauge:

And then on the dash:

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just recently added some wheel spacers to give my rig a more aggressive stance.

I really like the look.

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Looks nice!

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
Great looking rig! It makes me envious! I love the blacked out roof on the army green!! And your front bumper is pretty sweet as well!

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great looking rig! It makes me envious! I love the blacked out roof on the army green!! And your front bumper is pretty sweet as well!
Thanks for the compliment! Yeah I've always loved the blacked out look of the Army Green FJs. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well after adding the wheel spacers I had some rubbing issues when I turned the wheel. So I had to get a body mount chop. Because of my lack in welding skills this was something I had to pass on. Ended up taking it to Iron Mikes Garage in Rockville, MD. He did a great job. From what I can tell nothing was done and it looked stock. Very impressed with his work!

Some pics>

Before BMC:

After the BMC:

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
17,642 Posts
Just a thought. You might want to take a bit more off the body mount or kick your caster forward. Your photos there are at ride height. As soon as the suspension on the front begins to compress and if steering at the same angle it looks like you'll still get into the body mount before bump there.

Just a suggestion. Look forward to seeing the build progress.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a thought. You might want to take a bit more off the body mount or kick your caster forward. Your photos there are at ride height. As soon as the suspension on the front begins to compress and if steering at the same angle it looks like you'll still get into the body mount before bump there.

Just a suggestion. Look forward to seeing the build progress.
Yeah I was worried about that at first as well. But what you see in the pic is the rubber from the mud flap. I still have about 1/2 of an inch before hitting the body mount. Do you think thats enough room or should I still have the caster adjusted forward?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts