Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing the grill, bumper, handles, and mirrors, I realized the rims NEEDED to be black. I had already been researching rims (my wife wants to get black rims for her jeep). Rims are pricey, powder coating takes effort, and I am no mechanic. Then through the glory of this forum I discovered Plasti-Dip. Man, I love science. I was skeptical at first, so I tsted it on my bike - and loved it.

I cleaned the rims up with degreaser, nothing really that intensive.

Took the rear cover off and did it on the ground, the other tires I just left on the truck. One nice added treat, with the cover tire off, the rear camera does not have part of the top view cut off, so much more to see through it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well impressive! Think you just gave toyota an idea what to do with all their fugly FJ '11 wheels :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not mask anything off. Once it dried I just pulled the stuff off the tires, after cutting around the edge of the rim, came off like nothing.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
if it came off like nothing, wouldnt a rock or road debris rip it off easily as well..i would have just sprayed the wheels with normal paint

·
Registered
119 Posts
@JayIndy,
Plasti-Dip Plasti-Dip. It is all I hear nowadays. :) Starting to get dipenvy. Does the stuff come off easily? I know this has asked a thousand times, but, recent and notes from the field type data is best.

After doing the grill, bumper, handles, and mirrors, I realized the rims NEEDED to be black. I had already been researching rims (my wife wants to get black rims for her jeep). Rims are pricey, powder coating takes effort, and I am no mechanic. Then through the glory of this forum I discovered Plasti-Dip. Man, I love science. I was skeptical at first, so I tsted it on my bike - and loved it.

Took the rear cover off and did it on the ground, the other tires I just left on the truck. One nice added treat, with the cover tire off, the rear camera does not have part of the top view cut off, so much more to see through it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
@JayIndy,
Plasti-Dip Plasti-Dip. It is all I hear nowadays. :) Starting to get dipenvy. Does the stuff come off easily? I know this has asked a thousand times, but, recent and notes from the field type data is best.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@JayIndy,
The stuff is amazing. Once you get it started, on a corner or something, it peels pf like wax paper. But it actually takes some effort to get a tear started. I tested on my bike first, and even tried to chip at it. It's fairly hard to get a tear started. And even better, if you do get a chip, you can just spray over the area again, and it will bond to the area around it. My personal test data is only a few weeks in, but it looks awesome. And hell, even if it only lasts a short while, its cheaper to reapply than buy rims. (and its fun to do, as well)

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
Does it come off rims easily? No. You can wash it like normal. Even if you scrape it somewhere it wont fall off. The stonger you get the edges the better it will adhere.

My suggestion is if you take the wheels off to paint, use notecards and place them around the rim in the bead of the tire... itll allow you to get the edges better with the paint, and then pull them all out with nothing to peel off the tires

Looks good OP

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
Just clean it decently. No sanding. The idea of using Plastidip is so you can peel it off if you want later. If you sand them you might as well paint with Rustoleum so it never comes off.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did you just do the wheels or did you also do the silver parts? It looks great and that is the look I am going for myself.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I did my grill last night. This stuff is awesome. I've read if you spray a coat or 2 of clear coat it helps to strengthen the Plastidip. My bumper tips are next.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, just looking for an update. Is the plastidip still holding up? or should I look into a more permanent solution? I don't want to have to mess with it every other month or something like that, but if it's once or twice a year it might be worth it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, just looking for an update. Is the plastidip still holding up? or should I look into a more permanent solution? I don't want to have to mess with it every other month or something like that, but if it's once or twice a year it might be worth it.
It is holding up great, in fact much better than I had even hoped. I had figured I would need to do a couple times a year, but it still looks as good as the day I did it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also have a toy mustang that I have used plastidip on. This product is amazing. You just clean whatever surface you are painting really well and spray it on. If you don't like it or want the original look back, you just peel it off and it is back to normal as long as you have a good 3 or 4 coats on it. I had another set of wheels, and the guy that bought them did not like the blacked out look. It took me about 20 minutes a wheel and they were back to stock. Unlike when you paint wheels, you have to scuff them and clean them, all you do is clean and spray. I cannot stress how awesome and easy this is.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts