Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
N4WOX's Project H3 Tow Service

Well, FJC #1 (Sun Fusion) was traded off due to the need for a Farm truck, but now that things are better, I have now (12-16-09) just gotten FJC #2 (Ti) and am now starting the Build on it. I Plan to continue this tread with the second Build up of FJC #2 and Keep the FJC Build up #1 here for all to see, and the memories that went along with it. So Starting with Post #1 you will find the start of Build #1 and with the start of Page 9, Post #87, you will find the Start of Build FJC #2, Project H3 Tow Service #2. Enjoy, jb.

-------------------------------------------------------
May 2008:

Well, I thought I would Start a bulid up Thread for my FJC and post some photos as progress continues, probably slow progress on this one, but some day I will get it to were I want it, if thats even posible for me. :)

This is Currently my Bankhead National Forest Exploring Vehical. I love to spend time in the forest with friends and family riding around and hiking out water falls and such. So if you see me out there, give me a big wave :wave:

I am also a Ham Radio operator, and my Call Sign is, Well, you Guessed it, N4WOX. 73's.

Why H3 Tow Service??? Well, me and some friends just thought it seemed fitting due to the Number of H3's in the area. Sooner or later one's going to need me. LOL :lol:

Here are some details on what I got when I Bought it:

2007 FJC 4X4 Sun Fusion Yellow
34K miles
Auto Trans
Rear locker
A-track
Upgrade package #2
Tow Hitch
Roof Rack
FJ Black Spare tire cover
FJ Floor Mats
Toyota Guard protection
Running Boards / side steps
Day time running lights
FJ Jammer Stereo with Sub W.
Back up sensors
Three Gauges on the dash
Cruse, Power locks and all that stuff
Passenger side arm rest
cargo mat
120V AC power outlet
17in Bridgstone 840 tires.

Here are some Highlights of my Build Up:

Two 55 watt lights on Rear of Roof Rack
Kenwood D700 Dual Band Ham Radio and Antenna
Lowrance H2OC GPS wtih Topo maps
HI-Lift Jack, and mounted on roof rack and Locked.
14ft chain
20ft tow strap to add to what I already have
Two D-Rings.
Rear Hitch with D-Ring
Shovel
Ax
Attachment for HI-lift jack to lift on wheel (Lift Mate).
Two 7 inch Baja Campion 55 Watt Lights Mounted to Front Bumper.
Two 55 Watt Driving lights Mounted in Fog light location in Bumper.
Cobra CB
DO Rock Sliders
DO Front Winch Bumper
10,000lb Winch with 100ft, 3/8in cable, 12ft remote
15,000lb snatch bock
Warn 200amp Isolation Solenoid
BFG MT's KO's
RC 3 Inch Lift
Front Bilstein Shocks
On board 2 Gallon Air Compressor system with attachments.
Tools and spare parts
Trail Teams Badge
FJ Fourm Badge
BajaRack Rear door Ladder
BajaRack OEM Roof Rack Baja Style Light Bar.
4, 55 watt, 6 inch Hella 500's Mounted in Light Bar.

Sold off but not Forgoten
Please View rest of Thread to see All Build Up Photos and Trail Photos.

FJC #1 as it was when Sold off:

Ok Photos of it Shortly after I got it. These are at Lookout MT. GA / TN.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok, on to the mods:

6-9-08
Well, I put my home made light bar on my roof rack this weekend, and some cheap rectangular lights. I wanted to put my 6 and 7 inch lights I have from off my taco up there but I got worried about clearance and tree limbs and such so opted for something a little more low profile. I think I got about $60 in it all together. I also put two lights on the back of the roof rack too. Got every thing wired up Sunday and it all looks good. I got to adjust the front light just a little, and that should do it. I’m going to get a brush guard for the front and mount either the 6in or 7in lights I got there.

Oh, I also installed a stainless steal exhaust tip and my Ham radio under the seat and display next to the 4x4 shifter and antenna on the back door.

Ham Radio Display and Light Switches

Ham Radio Under the seat

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Nice start to your build. just an FYI I would maybe rethink having your Ham radio under the seat if you plan on going through any water,. InvisibleJ found out the hard way when he got stuck in the water crossing.. burned his up.. Looking good bro, nice color too..:bigthumb:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
6-15-08
Ok, got more to show off, or brag about, not that there’s much to brag about anyway, but got to go shopping this week, and added a few things to my collection.

Heres what I got:
1. HI-Lift Jack, and mounted on roof rack and Locked.
2. 14ft chain
3. 20ft tow strap to add to what I already have
4. Two D-Rings.
5. Rear Hitch with D-Ring
6. Shovel
7. Ax
8. Attachment for HI-lift jack to lift on wheel (Lift Mate).

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice start to your build. just an FYI I would maybe rethink having your Ham radio under the seat if you plan on going through any water,. InvisibleJ found out the hard way when he got stuck in the water crossing.. burned his up.. Looking good bro, nice color too..:bigthumb:
Yeah, Thought about that, and well, haven't thought of anywhere ealse to put it yet.

Added some more photos, you beat me to it.

Still wish I could get them tires from you, I have been trying to come up with an excuse to go to the GSM so i could swing by there and get them, oh well, maybe something will come up.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ha Ha funny I just got done driving my wifes friends H3, That thing is a turd.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got to go exploring this weekend in the Bankhead, and rode out an old road that is nothing more than a path though the woods now to a old cemetery that I always was afraid of taking my Tacoma down for fear of getting stuck, picked up some scratches, had of pull a fallen tree out of the path, had to use A-Trac for a large mud hole, got some chiggers, one tick (three for my buddy that went with me), and a Fresh Coat of Alabama Mud.

Down at the cemetery, end of path.

Back at the start of the path on way out.

Alabama Mud....

Back home.

More Mud.

Clean up time.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Added some lights I had laying around from off my Tacoma.

Also tried to clean the lens on my compass, took it all apart and it would not clean, don't know what it is. oh well.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You sure got off to a great start, N4WOX!! :bigthumb:

Your mods are well thought out and practical. I like that. :cheers: :cheers:
Thanks for the good words. When your on a budget, you make what you got count.

Since your a HAM you might enjoy this site as well.

Welcome to Outdoor Adventure USA - Everyone deserves to be outdoors.
Thanks for the link, I will have to look into it some more. :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got some Sliders from DO on the way, and some money to spend on some odd and in stuff, will post more photos soon of new mods. I sold my tacoma so time to lay into it now. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
8-1-08
Ok, been at it again, spent some money and put in a few hours, and got some stuff done.

What I got:
1. Cobra CB Radio
2. CB antenna with custom mount
3. Round Tube Rock sliders from DO, Painted Silver metallic
4. Fire Extinguisher
5. First Aid Kit
6. Changed Engine Oil to Mobile 1 Syn, 5w-30
7. Changed Diff Oil to Mobile 1 Syn, 75w-90
8. New BFG MT's KM 255/75/17.
9. High Lift Lift Mate

CB radio

CB antenna

Sliders

Sliders again

First Aid Kit, Fire Ext.

Changing Oils.

Skid plate before.

Skid plate after.

BFG MT's

Lift Mate

Rear, repainted Hitch and D-Ring, relocated Pin Hole.

Front

Nice AL Sun Set to end the day.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some Photos from the TTORA TakeOver at Harlan KY, Rideing with the Smokey Mt. Cruisers for the first time.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, after Harlan, the need for a lift was seen, so I orderd and installed a RC 3 inch lift to keep me off the rocks. Thanks to FJAL, he gave me his front Bilstein shocks and coilovers off his 08 Tacoma, so I used them too.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, after seeing how handy a air compressor is when needing to air up your tires after off roading, I done went out and bought me a High Volume Air compressor and some attachments. It draws a Max of 30 amps so if hooks directly to the Batt, and can air up one of my tires from 20 PSI to 42 PSI in about 2 1/2 min or less. I set up my attachments to allow me to air up two tires at a time if I like, act as a tire gauge if needed, and using a Blow Gun attachment air down the tires and gauge at the same time, or tie the two hoses together and move air from one tire to another if the situation required it using the tire like an air tank ( I have seen that done before).

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Moving right along! It takes alot of time and money, in the end you end up with a very capable personalized rig! Nice job N4WOX !

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Moving right along! It takes alot of time and money, in the end you end up with a very capable personalized rig! Nice job N4WOX !
Thanks, you got the Time and Money thing right, thats for sure!! :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been exploring the Bankhead National Forest now for about a year, which includes the Sipsey Wilderness, and have found a lot of interesting places and things. I got up this morning and decided to make the 45 min drive to the forest and Explore a little more and it turned out to be a nice 5 hour drive in the forest. Now, I know that driving around in the Forest is not quite what we FJ folks call Off Roading, but it is nice to drive around on the dirt roads from time to time, seeing the beauty of the Forest and All, so I decided to share some photos with you all from today and over the past year.

Information Sign

Black Warrior Mt. Historic Marker

Over Look North West Side.

Mt. Springs Church

Kinlock Historic Marker

Kinlock Falls.

Flannagin Creek and one lane Bridge

Central Lookout / Fire Tower

Junction.

Pine Torch Church and Historic Marker

Down Hill View to YoungTown

Caney Creek Falls