Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

321 - 340 of 522 Posts

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
hahaha thought that would make ya laugh! I remember watching those when I was a kid, wow...:rofl:

I`m on the fence about the flares... in my case I`d like a little more wiggle room to stick my fat head in the wheel well at times...:lol:

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
hahaha thought that would make ya laugh! I remember watching those when I was a kid, wow...:rofl:

I`m on the fence about the flares... in my case I`d like a little more wiggle room to stick my fat head in the wheel well at times...:lol:
I grew up watching them too... loved every second of that show. I just think the flares give the wheel wells a finished look. I understand the extra room, but like the finished look a little more.

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
If I do anything it will be replacing with the bushwackers, that should allow me to keep a visual without getting my head caught...:lol:

have fun!:rocker::cheers:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Looks great.

I took my rack off a couple weeks ago, couldn't be happier. Visually I like it more, plus it's quieter by a good margin.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
where'd you get the mud flaps from?
Made them. Super simple and removable... :) The sheriff's in the Sierras like to write tickets for not having mud flaps.

These go up through a square tube that's welded to the side of the frame. A quick release pin at the top gets pulled at the trailhead and I yank them before heading into the trail.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Made them. Super simple and removable... :) The sheriff's in the Sierras like to write tickets for not having mud flaps.

These go up through a square tube that's welded to the side of the frame. A quick release pin at the top gets pulled at the trailhead and I yank them before heading into the trail.

I like those a lot. I'm in need of something similar when pulling the trailer.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
Super nice Rig! Can you replace the doors by yourself or is it a two man job? How do you feel about giving up the door speakers when using the tube doors?
Thank you. Yes I can do the doors by myself. However, I made a small stand that I set under the door while I remove the bolts which helps. If doing it alone the trick is to use a ratcheting box wrench and remove the top bolt last. The stand I made makes it much easier as does having another set of hands.

I stinks not having door speakers. Most of the time I just leave the radio off because it sounds so bad w/o them. :) I've wanted to upgrade the speakers to address this issue, but just have never got around to it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thank you. Yes I can do the doors by myself. However, I made a small stand that I set under the door while I remove the bolts which helps. If doing it alone the trick is to use a ratcheting box wrench and remove the top bolt last. The stand I made makes it much easier as does having another set of hands.

I stinks not having door speakers. Most of the time I just leave the radio off because it sounds so bad w/o them. :) I've wanted to upgrade the speakers to address this issue, but just have never got around to it.
Thanks for the input sbechtold. I'm working on a tube door project as we speak and I'm trying to address these two issues. Ordered new OEM door hinges to go on the the new tube doors. Using cotter pins so I do not have to mess with the bolts every time. Also, I'm upgrading my car audio system so I was thinking about adding another pair of speakers in addition to the door speakers. Therefore, I will be able to rock out on the trails :thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Was roof rack removed as a result of a change in butt dyno feel after the latest round of surgery?

Just curious.

When I pulled mine, it felt like a go cart again.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Mudflaps. Hahahaha.

Forgive the dumb question, because I could search....

BS on wheels?

Edited: Yes....Catching up.

Outta have Don make a set of low doors, like the boat side Pigs but with upper tube, that way you can have speakers, too.

Off topic.

In all of my dreaming and scheming, after this last round of yours, started thinking an SAd UZ(F)JC-Ute would be pretty cool!

Chop at the lower rear well, pull the roof forward to keep the rolled line, and box the bulkhead, maybe with a caged bed.....and 2UZ, of course. Hahahaha.

Probably a good thing I'm 2400 miles away....

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
銀チタン;5028113 said:
Was roof rack removed as a result of a change in butt dyno feel after the latest round of surgery?

Just curious.

When I pulled mine, it felt like a go cart again.
Roof rack was pulled because it's heavy (125 pounds) and it was at the highest point on the FJC. The recent changes didn't have anything to do with it, but without the rack there is a huge difference in handling feel. I talked to fc about making a small aluminum platform for it. Might go back in this winter for it.

銀チタン;5028121 said:
Mudflaps. Hahahaha.

Forgive the dumb question, because I could search....

BS on wheels?

Edited: Yes....Catching up.

Outta have Don make a set of low doors, like the boat side Pigs but with upper tube, that way you can have speakers, too.

Off topic.

In all of my dreaming and scheming, after this last round of yours, started thinking an SAd UZ(F)JC-Ute would be pretty cool!

Chop at the lower rear well, pull the roof forward to keep the rolled line, and box the bulkhead, maybe with a caged bed.....and 2UZ, of course. Hahahaha.

Probably a good thing I'm 2400 miles away....
4" on the backspacing in memory serves. I've planned to add speakers, but will probably just add them to the rear doors or replace the ones in the dash. The doors tend to get wet and don't wet speakers. I say go build the Ute... I bet it would be killer... :grin

·
Premium Member
12,204 Posts
Roof rack was pulled because it's heavy (125 pounds) and it was at the highest point on the FJC. The recent changes didn't have anything to do with it, but without the rack there is a huge difference in handling feel. I talked to fc about making a small aluminum platform for it. Might go back in this winter for it.

4" on the backspacing in memory serves. I've planned to add speakers, but will probably just add them to the rear doors or replace the ones in the dash. The doors tend to get wet and don't wet speakers. I say go build the Ute... I bet it would be killer... :grin
Marine speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Ready for wheeling... rackless look is growing on me.

That's a great idea for the rack in the garage! I took my All-Pro rack off to re-powder coat it and really got to liking the rackless look as well. Also found out it was making a 3 MPG difference in gas mileage.

Anyway, great looking FJ, it's always been one of my favorites, thanks for sharing the build!

321 - 340 of 522 Posts