Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 999 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is dedicated to the build up of my 2013 Iceberg 6MT known as Snow Leopard. Surely it secured this name due to its sleek and stealth like characteristics (sarcasm).. or possibly from some bizarre love of Apple operating systems?

No, the name arose from the scratches and dings I have already managed to put into the paint of the first new vehicle I have ever owned. My off road ambitions have transformed what was once glossy white with pristine black plastic to a somewhat mottled, but unique piece of machinery. I write it off as a bonding experience.

Anyway, I have a bit of catching up to do as I purchased Snow Leopard in July of 2013 and have already done a good bit of modification. I intend to keep the most up to date pictures below, with the build in chronological order following:

Okay, from the beginning. Bought the truck 7/2/2013 with 6 miles on it. She is a 2013 Iceberg 6MT with the following options:
  • Off Road Package
  • Rock Sliders
  • Roof Rack
  • TRD Quick Shifter
  • Tow Package
Here she sits around 7/15/13, with the only addition being Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's in 265/70/17. Figured I would sell the stock tires with as few miles on them as possible.

One of my only dislikes with the styling and function of the FJ is the flimsy and weak front bumper. There was only one thing to do, replace it with an Expedition One Trail Series Kodiak front bumper. This thing is solid. My wife was a little concerned when our brand new FJ looked like this at 5K miles:

Bumper install went well with minimal grinding or interference issues. I went ahead and installed a Warn M8000 with synthetic rope shortly after. I hated the polished fairlead that came with the winch so I swapped it out for a black anodized one.

In mounting the winch I decided that the control box was not well protected and looked strange protruding from the bumper, so I chose to mount the contactor to a subplate that is installed inside the bumper on one of the supports. I used a replacement connector and pigtail for another Warn winch to provide the interface to the hand controller. The electronics are well protected inside the bumper and I find this approach more visually appealing. There large opening in the bumper over the winch was a bit of an eyesore in my opinion, and it left the winch (synthetic cable) unprotected from the sun. To remedy this I went ahead and designed a cover that allows access to the winch free-spool lever and provides for visual inspection of the drum while offering a layer of protection.

Here it is being fitted:

And Installed:

If anyone has the same bumper / winch combination and wants a cover like this, just PM me and I will send you the CAD file / Drawing.

To control the fog lights included with the bumper I went ahead and used the overly priced Toyota switches and harnesses for ease of installation. Taking the dash apart and installing this switch was tedious and time consuming in my opinion. I would rather install another bumper than do that again. The part numbers that I used are as follows:

• Fog Light Switch PN: PT297-35070-SW
  • Switch Harnes PN: PT297-35070-SH
  • Lamp Harness PN: PT297-35070-LH
  • AUX relay PN: PT297-89016

Well, once the new bumper was installed I determined that the stock washer fluid reservoir was completely inadequate with its protrusion into the wheel well. Being that this is a 2013 and has an air injection pump in the alternate washer location I was out of off the shelf options.

I instead set out to create my own, which admittedly turned into a larger project than I had hoped. I am very happy with the final result though:

And the accompanying bracket, wiring extension and hardware:

Mounting bracket installed:

And finally, the entire unit. What a PITA:

2/20/14 Update: Finally got the front Icons and Camburg Arms. Install was slow but went great. Ended up with 2.95" lift in the front along with 3.14" droop. Alignment tech was able to get caster back to the low end of stock with the Camburg UCA's.

Icon Install (Page 5)

2/27/14 Update: Designed a new engine cover to replace the crappy stock one. Not exactly a "functional" mod, but it makes me happy when I look at it.

Engine Cover Install (Page 6)

~5/14 Update: Designed and installed a breather setup for the front and rear diff, transfer case and transmission.

SCUBA Mod (Page 11)

Also Installed AFE Hightuck exhaust and upgraded to 295/70/17 Trail Grapplers

6/4/14 Update - Body Mount Chop:

Body Mount Chop (Page 13)

Late 2014 Update - Auxiliary Battery Tray Design and Installation:

Auxiliary Battery Tray (Page 15)

1/2015 Update - Completion of Dual Battery Setup:

Completion of Dual Battery Setup (Page 37)

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Great write-up... You should think about marketing the washer fluid reservoir! Great job!

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Good looking rig. Iceberg is the best...and it come with 5 extra HP because it's the best (shhhh, no one knows that).

Great write-up... You should think about marketing the washer fluid reservoir! Great job!
Agreed. I would get one (hint...hint).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
356 Posts
Totally agree there. Expedition One still hasn't solved this issue for 2013+ FJs... and it seems you have... :rocker:

Hell, I'll buy one off of you :bigthumb:

BTW, that winch cover is super badass too. May have to buy one of those off of you too when I get my Expedition One bumper

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hell Yea. Is buy both of those off of you too. I'm thinking of doing exact bumper and winch setup as you

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Very nice... I have some metal fab skills, enough to know you have some Mad skills very nicely thought out and executed.:clap::clap::cheers:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looks great:rocker: What lift are you planning on?

·
Premium Member
16,411 Posts
Nice! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the positive replies guys! I did at one point consider selling the washer fluid tank as a kit but thought it would probably be cost prohibitive to many, unless I could sell a good number of them.

While I did design the entire system, I can't take credit for the awesome TIG welding and precision bending. An older guy at a shop local to me did the welding and I was amazed by his skill. I have seen plenty of welds throughout my career but this guy is truly exceptional.

I suppose a robot gets credit for the rest of the fabrication as everything was CNC bent. I would say that if around 25 people were interested (massive price break from bender) the cost per washer would come way down. If there is enough interest I will definitely look into it.

As to the winch cover, I am happy to provide the drawings to anyone that wants to make one. Mine was water jet cut and has just one simple bend, so most people should be able to have one made up pretty easy. Could also just print out the drawing 1:1 and glue it to a sheet of aluminum and cut it out by hand. I have had great success with that method in the past.

To finish off the long post, I am thinking of going with FOX 2.5" body internal reservoir shocks from All-Pro for the front and the FOX non adjustable rear shocks and All-Pro rear springs. Already have Camburg front UCA's.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
I suppose a robot gets credit for the rest of the fabrication as everything was CNC bent. I would say that if around 25 people were interested (massive price break from bender) the cost per washer would come way down. If there is enough interest I will definitely look into it.
I'd have to do some measuring because my sPOD might interfere with it, but you can add my name to the list if you do decide to make some.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
905 Posts
If this is an unofficial poll to gain interest for a group buy for the reservoir, consider me in. If not...I recommend creating one. I think you'd have at least 25 deposits in a week. Any idea what it would cost if you had 25 buyers??

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Awesome fabrication! :bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
If this is an unofficial poll to gain interest for a group buy for the reservoir, consider me in. If not...I recommend creating one. I think you'd have at least 25 deposits in a week. Any idea what it would cost if you had 25 buyers??
I'm in too!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So looking back through the quotes I got when I built this, it looks like a complete kit including the tank, bracket and wiring harness extender could be done for somewhere in the $225 range. Could go cheaper if I used a different cap and ditched the sight tube, but the cap is US made and great quality and the sight tube is pretty convenient. Thinking I will keep it as is.

I will need to re-quote everything again to double check, but it would likely be in that ball park.

This would be a complete bolt on kit with no modifications or additional parts required.

I am figuring out what is involved in doing a group buy, and am planning to start a separate thread on this in the near future.

1 - 20 of 999 Posts