Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Very helpful, I'll dedicate some good couch time to viewing these. Thanks for assembling this list of tutorials!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Nothing is more important than safety. I think everyone can agree upon that. Sweptwingnut, I have stickied this thread to the top of the forum so everyone sees it right away. Thanks for putting this together and everyone keep up the good contributions!
Sweet!! Thank You! :bigthumb:

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Warning slightly graphic video(has been played on network tv news casts)...

At :09 a shackle used for rigging(the same shackles most commonly used for vehicle recovery) failed sending these poor girls plummeting.

The reason I bring this up it to point out that all equipment should be inspected for any defects, damage, and or excessive wear. Metals only last so long until they start losing their ratings. Especially if they have been used heavily or near their limits. This also goes for recovery straps, tow straps, and winch lines.

On a somewhat related side note... I recently read about how the nylon acts and reacts when used as a kinetic tow strap. Turns out heat is a by product of stretching. When the strap is used repeatedly it can heat up and damage the strap. A cool down period during use is required. And if they get too hot they won't return to their normal state and won't stretch properly. I'll see if I can find the article and edit in a link.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
.....I bring this up it to point out that all equipment should be inspected for any defects, damage, and or excessive wear. Metals only last so long until they start losing their ratings. Especially if they have been used heavily or near their limits. This also goes for recovery straps, tow straps, and winch lines.

I agree. Gear inspection is often overlooked. We should all inspect our gear at the beginning of the season and after each use.

I have updated post 1 to put ARB's gear care / maintenance recommendations at the top of the list.
Recovery Techniques & Equipment

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
On a somewhat related side note... I recently read about how the nylon acts and reacts when used as a kinetic tow strap. Turns out heat is a by product of stretching. When the strap is used repeatedly it can heat up and damage the strap. A cool down period during use is required. And if they get too hot they won't return to their normal state and won't stretch properly. I'll see if I can find the article and edit in a link.
Thank You for bring this up. I went back and read the ARB link above again. I had totally skimmed over the very point you are making the first time I read it. That article states:

NOTE: Due to the nature of synthetic fibers, recovery straps require rest periods between use to return to their original length and capacity. Be aware that excessive pulls on a recovery strap over a short period of time can cause build up of heat and possible failure.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Great addition chrishophoto! I have added it to Post 1 with a note regarding the use of recovery dampers. It is my understanding that every rope section extending from a pulley should have it's own recovery damper of some type. The video shows the use of two but shouldn't there be 4 of them in this case?

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
We used a dual winch recovery this last weekend in Gilmer at Jambo. Sometimes one isn't enough when you consider the obstacles to overcome, angle and other issues like FJNewb stated above. All one needs to do is Practice, Practice Practice!!

It tells you to operate your winch once a month to keep the gears lubed. I pull mine down the street to a light pole. It works to spool the line, make sure its always stored in tension and keeps me up on my skills. Simple exercises done in a safe environment means your not fumbling around on the trail when it counts.

When it comes to recovery and safety- your either a hero or a zero.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Great addition chrishophoto! I have added it to Post 1 with a note regarding the use of recovery dampers. It is my understanding that every rope section extending from a pulley should have it's own recovery damper of some type. The video shows the use of two but shouldn't there be 4 of them in this case?
I would definitely be dampening every section if using a steel cable, synthetic is soo much safer to use, so not as important. It could be argued, that if you know where you are going to be standing during the winching operation, that you might intentionally leave a dampener off in the area farthest away, so if something does break, the energy will be directed to that particular location. but i don't think it would be a bad thing to have a dampener put on everything.

-C

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
With synthetic ropes- there isn't stored energy like with metal ones. They save 30 lbs off the furthest point on your front end too. They also float which helps if you have to pull someone from the water.

Only downside besides price I can find is they can be ruined by rubbing against rocks so always use a rope guard when anywhere near rocks. even when not touching because once the rig starts moving and pins that line- its all over and your out another few hundred bucks.

·
Admin
6,514 Posts
With synthetic ropes- there isn't stored energy like with metal ones. They save 30 lbs off the furthest point on your front end too. They also float which helps if you have to pull someone from the water.

Only downside besides price I can find is they can be ruined by rubbing against rocks so always use a rope guard when anywhere near rocks. even when not touching because once the rig starts moving and pins that line- its all over and your out another few hundred bucks.
Further to that.... synthetic ropes can freeze solid on your winch in the winter time so it's good to work them in and out when it gets cold so that even when it's frozen, it's not frozen to itself creating a solid block of ice.

If you do a water crossing at -40 (yeah, that does sound odd but is possible) always check and if needed rework your winch line.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I read somewhere that someone did a recovery class at Jambo. Is that true?

I missed this years but plan on attending next year and that would be something I'd be interested in.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Excellent! This is my first synthetic winch rope and I am steep on the learning curve. So note to self: synthetic winch ropes are generally not kinetic and therefore may not require dampers like recovery straps and wire rope will. But it won't hurt to have them anyway. :wink
Heads up for rocks and need for a rope guard. :bigthumb:

Further to that.... synthetic ropes can freeze solid on your winch in the winter time so it's good to work them in and out when it gets cold so that even when it's frozen, it's not frozen to itself creating a solid block of ice.

If you do a water crossing at -40 (yeah, that does sound odd but is possible) always check and if needed rework your winch line.
Winterpeg, I had not even considered winter freezing affects. :bigthumb:

·
Admin
6,514 Posts

Winterpeg, I had not even considered winter freezing affects. :bigthumb:
Neither did I until I proudly went to use my fancy new synthetic rope one day and found it frozen solid :(

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nothing is more important than safety. I think everyone can agree upon that. Sweptwingnut, I have stickied this thread to the top of the forum so everyone sees it right away. Thanks for putting this together and everyone keep up the good contributions!

Making this a sticky is a great idea! Lots of good info here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

21 - 40 of 82 Posts