Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you use replacement collars for the sway bar (removed the factory soft aluminum ones, and replaced them with steel collars), you will undoubtedly start hearing squeaking over time, as the steel will begin to rub against the dry rubber of the sway bar bushings.

I am getting tired of hearing the steel collars rub against the sway bar bushings, and really getting tired of squirting lubricant spray to stop the annoying squeaking.

I don't know if replacing the steel collars with aluminum ones will stop the squeaks (sing out if you have them, and report no squeaks), but here's a low-tech solution that I'm going to try (in lieu of buying new collars):

1. Cut four discs from some thin, hard plastic sheeting (1/8" to 1/16" nylon sheeting?)
  2. Cut holes in each disc to the outer diameter of the sway bar (actually, slightly larger)
  3. Remove the sway bar bushing and clamp, and disconnect the sway bar link on one side
  4. Run two of the discs down the length of the sway bar, until reaching the steel collar (the slightly larger hole diameter mentioned above will help navigate the curves in the sway bar)
  5. Re-install the bushing and clamp, repeat for other side, and try the result.
The way I figure it, if the two plastic discs rub against each other, there won't be any squeaking, as there's no contact of steel against rubber. No more spraying with lubricant!

Think it'll work? Any suggestions or thoughts, before I attempt this? Would it be easier to cut a slit in the discs, and eliminate threading the sway bar, or would the slits allow the discs to deteriorate or come off?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was thinking of using one of those adhesive backed Teflon moving feet you can buy at home depot or lowes, but just about any reasonably slick plastic should work.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I don't have collar's, but mine were squeaking like it was the end of world. Then i gave 'em a spray of white lithium grease, and they've been quiet for week!

Hopefully i didn't jinx it, but.. i probably did.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already drilled and tapped some grease zerts in the sway bar clamps (with a hole drilled in the rubber bushing, to allow grease between the sway bar and bushing), but it didn't stop the squeaking. So, by process of elimination, it has to be the steel collars rubbing against the bushings. Hence, Phase II of squeak elimination.

I plan to post up the grease zert mod, and may do so along with the plastic discs mod. Kudos to BobKid for the suggestion about the zerts (he mentioned he did so on an old jeep he owned).

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I have steel collars. I don't have any noise. And they have been on there for easily 9weeks. Been mudding twice and nothing. And mine is seated right on the bushings.
I have alum collars on stand-by to be put on once I remove my skid again.
My steel collars are getting a bit bloody. Rusting, but not that bad.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Singha, it's probably the rust that's preventing the squeaking (I painted mine, with gloss black Krylon, and have no rust). A clean, painted surface is probably contributing to the squeak, in my case.

Picture yourself wearing tennis shoes, with soles that are dry, and stubbing your soles on a clean, dry linoleum floor (same effect). If the soles were rough, you wouldn't get the squeak on the floor....

·
Registered
7 Posts
dont spray lubricant on the bushings.
we have the same problem with lexus's at the dealership.

remove the sway bar, put bearing grease or anti-sieze on the bushings and reinstall.

i suggest bearing grease if you offroad alot.

problem solved for a long long time.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I just left the original collars on and then installed the AllPro collars immediately to the inside of the original collar. So far so good... no squeeks, rock solid.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
remove the sway bar, put bearing grease or anti-sieze on the bushings and reinstall.
I drilled and tapped grease zerts on the bushing clamps, and used marine-grade bearing grease, to grease between the sway bar and bushing, but still had squeaks. That eliminated one source of the noise, so the remaining source was the surface between the steel collar attached to the sway bar and the side of the bushing. Hence, the plastic disc idea (to isolate the rubber from the steel collar).

I just left the original collars on and then installed the AllPro collars immediately to the inside of the original collar. So far so good... no squeeks, rock solid.
Yeah, I wish I would've done the same. But, the stock aluminum ones are history. Essentially, taking the approach you took simulates the plastic disc idea that I'll have to take; the OEM aluminum collars isolate the bushing from your AP collars.

I'm planning on doing the disc mod this weekend, and will shoot some photos to post (both of the grease zert mod I've already done, and the plastic spacer discs mod).

Thanks for all the feedback, guys...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts