Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm working on my spreadsheet of what parts are going on the FJ.

I can't decide on what skid plate set to go with, the Man-a-fre or Bud Built.

I have viewed the thread for comparisons of skid plates. However, that only showed a picture comparison with no mention to what the pros or cons are. Which is understandable as vendors don't necessarily want their product badmouthed when they are trying to make a sell.

That being said I would like to hear your guys input on the pros and cons of each skid plate set.

Thanks,

Colin

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nothing to get hung up on
I was curious about if all the holes in the MAF plate catch objects, Seems like they might snag something every once and a while. However, it also makes it easier to clear debris/mud from. With the Buds do you guys have problems of getting objects like gravel, mud etc etc trapped?

Thanks for the input so far.

·
Registered
709 Posts
This exercise is kinda futile. People who bought MAF will report good things about these. Same for the Buds. I have the MAF's. In my opinion, both are a great improvement over no skids......if you think you need them.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This exercise is kinda futile. People who bought MAF will report good things about these. Same for the Buds. I have the MAF's. In my opinion, both are a great improvement over no skids......if you think you need them.
I understand and I agree that people are going to favor what they bought, but they have to know what the cons of the product are also.

~Colin

·
Registered
639 Posts
I was curious about if all the holes in the MAF plate catch objects, Seems like they might snag something every once and a while. However, it also makes it easier to clear debris/mud from. With the Buds do you guys have problems of getting objects like gravel, mud etc etc trapped?

I have been looking at both as well. One of the sets will be on my truck soon.
I like the idea of the MAF holes, as you said, cleaning looks to be easy.
How well do the Buds clean out?
I do like the Bud front plate, with the nice "wings", but I think I like the MAF back plates better. Wish MAF put wings on the front plate.
Both look like a pain to change oil...
MAF protects the mounting hardware better, but Bud protects the CV better...
Looks like Buds loose more ground clearance, thats a bummer... And no paint on the Buds...
Most of me says MAF, but I am still not sure...

So what is it all you with skids like the best, and don't like so much about the plates you have? Everyone must have some likes/dislikes...

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts

I haven't had a problem with loading up on debris but I also don't go "mudd'n". I have seen who do and the Bud's can get loaded up. If you know about it, and are somewhat intelligent, one would simply run a hose over the skids to flush them out.

With that said, I wouldn't want to have a bunch of holes on a skid plate to catch rocks, sticks, etc onto and still really won't prevent a build up of debris.

But, like Steve mentioned, it is an exercise in futility. I honestly can't think of a flaw with the Bud's and I'm sure the MAF owners would say the same. I don't think you will go wrong with either. With that said, I did choose the Bud's due to the surface for them to be slid upon, being free of catch points as well as one could design given the underside of the FJC...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Didn't Homedad say that there are no MAF skids available now? If that's the case, you may not have a choice. Best to call MAF and see if their skids are an option. I do like the MAF stuff too.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
I have been looking at both as well. One of the sets will be on my truck soon.
I like the idea of the MAF holes, as you said, cleaning looks to be easy.
How well do the Buds clean out?
I do like the Bud front plate, with the nice "wings", but I think I like the MAF back plates better. Wish MAF put wings on the front plate.
Both look like a pain to change oil...
MAF protects the mounting hardware better, but Bud protects the CV better...
Looks like Buds loose more ground clearance, thats a bummer... And no paint on the Buds...
Most of me says MAF, but I am still not sure...

So what is it all you with skids like the best, and don't like so much about the plates you have? Everyone must have some likes/dislikes...
Bud's are not a pain to change oil, hole provide directly under the drain plug.

Bud's have protection from front to back, including the gas tank, MAF does not.

Not sure what "mounting hardware" you are talking about but the Bud's use recessed hardware or machine head bolts to mount the skids. The little ridge around the MAF skid plate mounting hardware will not protect the hardware from damage.

I don't see how Bud's loses any more ground clearance than the MAF's, both have to cover the lowest point (the cross-over pipe) and having a smooth surface to slide over instead of a bump/extrusion which will hang up if sliding on.

Paint? Seriously, skid plates (when used) get trashed and need to be repainted on a regular basis. A couple can's of Rustoleum cost less than $10, way easier to maintain than powder coating.

At any rate, don't mean to come off as a Bud's "fan-boy", but in my eyes, the purpose of the skid plate is two fold. One is to help reduce/protect from damage when inadvertent rocks/debris come from below. Two is to be used to get over obstacles, "skidding" along/over rocks and such. In both cases, it is my opinion that the Bud's are superior.

Yes, they may be a pain to wash debris out of, a price I'll gladly pay...

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I run BudBuilt skids, but have no problem with the MAF product. Both are well made and it comes down to personal taste.

BudBuilt or MAF -- you win either way.

Bud's service, his attention to detail, he's THE guy who builds them (not sent out to an outside fabricator), all sway me in Bud's direction.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I honestly feel like my vehicle is a tank in the good sense. I call it my up armor because it reminds me of the plating on a HMMWV (the thinnest areas of course... that sheet gets thick!).

I've only gotten a little mud, dirt, debris, whatever stuck in the skids. That was easy to wash away with a hose.

I'm perfectly satisfied with my purchase up to this point. Like others have noted... Most skids are better than none and people will usually back their own purchases. Not many owners have had multiple skid setups or been super unsatisfied with either of these setups. Why am I going on when you already know this :)?

EDIT: Like this particular shot. Shows some of the coverage...

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Call Budbuilt and I bet he (Bud) answers the phone....

It all depends on the terrain you run in. Buds are the strongest but you may not need that much protection.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Call Budbuilt and I bet he (Bud) answers the phone....

It all depends on the terrain you run in. Buds are the strongest but you may not need that much protection.
If not Bud answering it is his daughter on the phone. Bud has one of the best customer service reps in the business, he is also a great guy. Obviously I run Buds. No complaints from me, they do exactly what they are designed to do.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
i've only had my Bud's for a short while now and have not dragged them on any rocks yet. i also debated between MAFs and Buds when i was looking. Just based on observations, this is what i saw as pros and cons between the two:

MAF:
pros - more holes to allow washout of sediment and debris, stronger looking crossmember, powdercoating included
cons - less frontal coverage, no gas coverage

Buds:
pros - more frontal coverage, gas skid option
cons - nuts and bolts for gas skid are exposed

NCFJ put together a groupbuy for the Buds, so it all came down to cost for me. I got bare metal skids and went to lowes and made multiple purchases of Krylon with "$10 off $25 purchase" coupons!

·
Registered
428 Posts
They'll both give you good protection. I ran my MAF through the Rubicon with no problems.

Given they're both heavy, go with the best one for shipping rates.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Agree. Ihave the MAFs with a Bud Built ARB skid. Both are great to work with. Most of my FJ is MAF so I stuck with them.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
I run the MAF's, my brother runs Bud's on his 4runner. Zero difference in strength, slight differences in coverage but comes out in the wash as others have said. The MAF's are built as a collaboration between MAF in Simi Valley and 4+ in Arizona (hence why they're called MAF/4+ on their website - they're not some blind subcontract). Both MAF/4+ and Bud's appear to be based on alot of real-world wheeling experience and a lot of thinking went into both. The holes on the MAF/4+ will not snag on rocks, trees, etc. - on the other hand, as to whether they offer much advantage is also a question (alot of mudders run Bud's with zero problems). MAF/4+ also now has a link plate for the ARB front bumper.

This is the classic toss-a-coin, can't go wrong purchase. Both great companies, great people. Nothing in it.

MAF/4+ photos:

No skid is indestructible, though. I hit whoops at 50mph. Hence the "whoops":

1 - 20 of 68 Posts