Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Afternoon!

edit: I realized I did not say much about myself, except for my woes. My name is Jerry, I'm from Maryland but moved to Virginia last year. I am an IT Consultant for small to medium businesses and sell MSP and print management (see: copiers) services. My 5 to 9 is Personal Training and as cheesy as it sounds exercise turned my life around and I hope to help others.

I had to severely pair down my hobbies since going full time part time personal training. I like to shoot, camp, hike, travel, motorcycle, work out, and play with cameras. The FJ sounds like the perfect camp companion and perfect to haul around exercise equipment. Plus it's very unique, anyone can get a Jeep. Anyone know if I could secure a barbell to the roof rack?

Not into 4 wheeling really, but this would be my first truck that would be capable so I feel like that will be inevitable.

I have already learned a lot from this community so thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The FJ Cruiser came out (rereleased) right as I was graduating high school and I loved how unique they looked. I'm finally in a financial position to own one and I have two that I'll be looking at tomorrow.

I have researched a TON on these and what to look out for. Trans shutter, fender bulge, rear door hinge crack, timing belt inspection, and most importantly RUST.

Here in Virginia we don't get much snow, but the Carfax Reports show one is from Pennsylvania and the other New Jersey before making their way here, so I am pretty concerned.

The Black FJ dealer gave me a facetime tour and that went as well as you can imagine. The Silver FJ dealer gave me some photos and videos (linked below).

The plan is to go there tomorrow (they are about 1.5 hr. away) and get under both and check for rust, but would love the opinion of you experts.

Details: Both 2008, both around 149k mi. Black one looks to have All Terrain Package. Silver cannot tell from pictures.

Link to CarFax Reports & Silver FJ Pics and Video.

Link to Black FJ
Link to Silver FJ

Thanks guys, I'm very excited to join the community.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Silver has the upraded stereo unit, but the black one has the three gauge cluster on the dash and that's something that I LOVE about the FJ, especially for 4WD and coolness factor. Black is harder to maintain clean, avoid scratches, etc, but looks better than the silver IMO.

Personally, I'd go black.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That gauge pod on the dash is really nice. I'd go for the black FJ just because of that option since it's hard to add if you want it later. You can always upgrade the stereo yourself. The silver seems like it's too one-color looking. Rust will be your determining factor though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silver has the upraded stereo unit, but the black one has the three gauge cluster on the dash and that's something that I LOVE about the FJ, especially for 4WD and coolness factor. Black is harder to maintain clean, avoid scratches, etc, but looks better than the silver IMO.

Personally, I'd go black.
Yes, I did notice that and from research I believe only the All Terrain packages had those so it should have the rear diff lock too right? Inclinometer is so badass.

That gauge pod on the dash is really nice. I'd go for the black FJ just because of that option since it's hard to add if you want it later. You can always upgrade the stereo yourself. The silver seems like it's too one-color looking. Rust will be your determining factor though.
That's very true on the radio front, and you're absolutely correct about the rust. Did you notice the Silver FJ looked like someone sprayed something (doesn't look like paint but haven't had my eyes on it) underneath? I was told if it's a rubber coating that it's bad news (promotes more rust)

Thanks to you both!

·
Premium Member
13,374 Posts
IMO - Silver.

The black one has a lot of rust showing in the engine bay on fasteners and clamps (lower air filter clip), rust that high up makes me question the condition of the rest.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah if it has had Zeibart or any kind of rubber undercoating, avoid like the plague. That is either hiding something really bad or it's already caused damage by trapping moisture and the rust has been eating away at it from underneath.

If it's been spray-on oil coated then that's FAR better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah if it has had Zeibart or any kind of rubber undercoating, avoid like the plague. That is either hiding something really bad or it's already caused damage by trapping moisture and the rust has been eating away at it from underneath.

If it's been spray-on oil coated then that's FAR better.
Can you tell by looking at it whether it's rubber coated or oil coated? Will the rubber have the texture?
IMO - Silver.

The black one has a lot of rust showing in the engine bay on fasteners and clamps (lower air filter clip), rust that high up makes me question the condition of the rest.
Great point, I'm bringing my creeper along with me to the purchase LOL. Wonder if they will look at me sideways.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Afternoon!

The FJ Cruiser came out (rereleased) right as I was graduating high school and I loved how unique they looked. I'm finally in a financial position to own one and I have two that I'll be looking at tomorrow.

I have researched a TON on these and what to look out for. Trans shutter, fender bulge, rear door hinge crack, timing belt inspection, and most importantly RUST.

Here in Virginia we don't get much snow, but the Carfax Reports show one is from Pennsylvania and the other New Jersey before making their way here, so I am pretty concerned.

The Black FJ dealer gave me a facetime tour and that went as well as you can imagine. The Silver FJ dealer gave me some photos and videos (linked below).

The plan is to go there tomorrow (they are about 1.5 hr. away) and get under both and check for rust, but would love the opinion of you experts.

Details: Both 2008, both around 149k mi. Black one looks to have All Terrain Package. Silver cannot tell from pictures.

Link to CarFax Reports & Silver FJ Pics and Video.

Link to Black FJ
Link to Silver FJ

Thanks guys, I'm very excited to join the community.
I always look at the hardware in the engine bay. If the fasteners/clamps have signs of rust then make sure the frame isnt to far gone.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

Good luck, look 'em over good

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada!

·
Premium Member
16,890 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm guessing you've already seen it, but if not, you may want to read @jimmy-buffett 's guide to buying and selling a FJ.

Also, if you have access to an OBD Scan Tool, may want to bring one along. I believe if I remember correctly, the better ones can actually show you how long it's been since codes have been cleared. Always good to know as some codes (like, 02 sensors / bad cats) won't set until driven over a few different stop / start cycles and may not show up on a test drive.

·
Admin
8,067 Posts
Get a rear diff locker.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,056 Posts
Hi Jarvis2021, welcome from Ohio!
Good luck with you search

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Pass on the FJ that was in an accident. Too many nice FJ’s out there to be purchasing a wreck repaired vehicle.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks, definitely will be doing some examining tomorrow. I just have to have the willpower to walk away!
Impulse buys get more people into trouble. Just look it over, poke and prod for rust or something covering rust underneath. The front bottom engine cover (aka, the fake OEM tin steel skid plate) will be a total mess if rust has had it's way and it would be difficult to hide. If any FJ you look at has that hard black undercoating sprayed all over underneath (it won't be sticky), run as fast as you can away from that disaster.🏃‍♀️ Unscrupulous dealers will cover up rust with that nastiness, making it look all clean, black and shiny, hiding the cancer underneath.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts