Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The moonroof one - Lol, must've mixed them up clicking around.
Best to question my advice.
I didn't exactly order them nicely so that's not your fault.

I think I'm taking Moon Roofus off the list of potentials, I can already envision the headache.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The moonroof one - Lol, must've mixed them up clicking around.
Best to question my advice.
The out of state buying experience has been pretty terrible too, but it could just be the people I'm getting ahold of on the phone. Virginia has a law that tires cannot extend further than 3 inches past the bumper and it was above the sales guy pay grade to go measure or look at it (can't tell from the pictures).

Feeling like I will have that same kind of experience with all other dealerships, small and large, too. I get wanting to flip them fast.

May have to wait for a unicorn to show up in Virginia, I got the CarGurus alerts on, but I need to do some work or I won't be able to afford a FJ at all.

Moving this to something a little more passive, talking to all these dealerships makes my head spin!

·
Registered
2013 Iceberg (stock)/AT/loaded
28 Posts
The out of state buying experience has been pretty terrible too, but it could just be the people I'm getting ahold of on the phone. Virginia has a law that tires cannot extend further than 3 inches past the bumper and it was above the sales guy pay grade to go measure or look at it (can't tell from the pictures).

Feeling like I will have that same kind of experience with all other dealerships, small and large, too. I get wanting to flip them fast.

May have to wait for a unicorn to show up in Virginia, I got the CarGurus alerts on, but I need to do some work or I won't be able to afford a FJ at all.

Moving this to something a little more passive, talking to all these dealerships makes my head spin!
Have you checked Facebook Marketplace?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Have you checked Facebook Marketplace?
Yeah someone else tipped me off for that and I had my GF go on and look, I gave her a template of "Hi my boyfriend is interested in buying your XYZ, can you text him at 555" sent it to at least 5, and I got one person to actually text me. A dealership though, not a private seller.

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
I wouldn't be spooked by the sun roof, from the look of the control and formed gasket it is more than likely from Wabesto. They were a popular choice.

Reactions: Jarvis2021

·
Premium Member
2013 FJ Army Green MT
485 Posts
I like to shoot, camp, hike, travel, motorcycle, work out, and play with cameras.
The first four are best in an FJ, think of the places you can get that others can't. Welcome form Washington State and best of luck in your ventures.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The first four are best in an FJ, think of the places you can get that others can't. Welcome form Washington State and best of luck in your ventures.
I KNOW! it's going to be great to travel in, I'm happy they have come down in price to something more affordable.

My prius is great for long distances and the city, but the FJ will be great for all those other places a prius just can't go.

And thanks, I got my eyes set on one about 4 hours away, '07 99k miles, they won't let me hold it with a deposit so I hope it there by the weekend!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome to the strange love affair! In post #4, you assumed that the ball inclinometer gauge set was only offered on models that have diff lock. I suspect this is not the case. The off road packages all came with the instrument cluster but not all FJ’s with instrument clusters had the offroad package.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Welcome to the strange love affair! In post #4, you assumed that the ball inclinometer gauge set was only offered on models that have diff lock. I suspect this is not the case. The off road packages all came with the instrument cluster but not all FJ’s with instrument clusters had the offroad package.
Good to know, the original brochure I found only had 3 packages for the one I was looking at, and it did seem to simple at first glance, so you're right.

An Update: Still have the 07, with 99k on the dash in my back pocket. But another dealer in Plano, TX has this FJ and from the reviews, it looks like they have experience with dealing with people out of state. Even better my buddy lives 10 minutes away and offered to test drive it for me. Hopefully I can talk him into dropping it off for a pre inspection as well. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Good to know, the original brochure I found only had 3 packages for the one I was looking at, and it did seem to simple at first glance, so you're right.
A few helpful tips for your hunt that I found on this site when I was searching:

You can put the VIN in here and check what the OEM build for the vehicle was.... should list out the various packages it was equipped with from the factory or port.

Also, a way to check previous Toyota only service history is to register on the Toyota site as an owner, and then add the VIN of the vehicle in question to your account. You will be able to see service that was performed by Toyota dealerships that way.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,056 Posts

An Update: Still have the 07, with 99k on the dash in my back pocket. But another dealer in Plano, TX has this FJ and from the reviews, it looks like they have experience with dealing with people out of state. Even better my buddy lives 10 minutes away and offered to test drive it for me. Hopefully I can talk him into dropping it off for a pre inspection as well. :)
There's a lot to like about this FJ - however, be aware that it was originally a Black Cherry & White not a Black & Black TRD.
Enter the VIN# JTEBU11F070034144 here to check an FJ

Ha SkidMarks just beat me to it!

Anyway, I'd still check it out and bargain down on the misrep if you like it.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums! I reside in Virginia as well...what part are you in? There are a few of us who are on the forums in the Northern Virginia area specifically.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hello and welcome to the forums! I reside in Virginia as well...what part are you in? There are a few of us who are on the forums in the Northern Virginia area specifically.
Evening! I'm in Winchester, that's awesome you guys got a whatsapp, telegram, or a signal group or just converse on here?

Update about the vehicle would like opinion as well!: I took the advice of other and my gf found this one on FB Marketplace.

I've been calling the guy since yesterday about it, asking if i can put a deposit and come see it Saturday, and they don't do that. I set an alarm to call him everyday at 3 to see if it's still on the lot to update my lists of potentials.

I called today and asked and he said "why don't we do this, we can bring it to you"

I ask him what the catch is, what's not refundable, yada yada and he said there is none, if I don't want it, they'll take it back. Now this is a 4 hour drive, so you got either one guy towing or 2 guys driving for 8 hours.

the OTD price is a lot higher ($18,721.45 - ($16,900 advertised x VA tax) = $1,120.00 )and he explain it away with the dealer doc fees, some national security database, and registration handling, and honestly if they are building in transport for $300, it's well worth not having me drive 8 hours.

but there has to be some sort of catch if I turn it away, right? Anyone else dealt with this?

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Evening! I'm in Winchester, that's awesome you guys got a whatsapp, telegram, or a signal group or just converse on here?
It has been quite some time since we have gotten together, but we chat via text and also on the regional part of the forum as well. COVID really messed it all up!

That being said, are you sure you don't want a 4WD? The WV FJ is a 2WD one. Just curious...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
It has been quite some time since we have gotten together, but we chat via text and also on the regional part of the forum as well. COVID really messed it all up!

That being said, are you sure you don't want a 4WD? The WV FJ is a 2WD one. Just curious...
Posting says 4WD...? Am I missing something? don't scare me!

Edit: ah it says 2D, which I guess means 2 Door

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Posting says 4WD...? Am I missing something? don't scare me!

Edit: ah it says 2D, which I guess means 2 Door
Ahhhh...I misread. Lots of options on AutoTrader...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Ahhhh...I misread. Lots of options on AutoTrader...
When I join the club can I have access to the text!? :)

Re: Autotrader, I've looked at a few

The rest were out of my budget (wanted $16,500 out the door, looks like I'm going to have to put up some more cash for this one.)

Really hope this one they are delivering turns out well. Only 99k but I ran the car fax (they had an auto Check by Experian) but 5 owners ;/

We'll see! I'll feel real bad for the porter who's bringing this if I just send him home. Also so doubtful that there will not be some sort of fee the will try to get me to pay. I will buy the driver dinner if I don't take it though haha.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Reactions: Jarvis2021

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Well, what a night.

TL;DR: Didn't get the FJ

The very nice sounding car salesman I mentioned in a previous post, followed through with his deal and sent two guys to my house around 4:00pm.

The guys were cool as heck, both retired just do this for fun money, and the guy who drove the FJ LOVED it! I told them I scheduled a pre purchase inspection down at the Toyota dealer and asked if they wanted me to ride or drive. They opted to let me drive and they followed me.

We arrived just in time, I told the dealer I was running late, but this tech was JUST about to leave for the day. This was his last job. I thanked him greatly and waited in the lobby with the porters.

They stayed cool, made small talk, talked about cars, women, marriage and didn't notice my phone was BLOWING up with text messages from the sales guy.

"Everything good man?"
"drivers still with you?"
"is everything alright?"

I texted back and said "Yeah man! we're just at the dealership doing an inspection"

His reply "alright"

Service Advisor asks me if I want to take a look while its on the lift...uh absolutely.

The tech says the rust ain't bad, but it will need a new muffler, water pump and some maintenance work. He was extremely thorough, which is exactly what I wanted. He said he couldn't get the 4 wheel drive to work but he'll try again. I sat back in the lobby and chit chatted with the guys again.

The tech comes back in with a oily paper towel saying "bad news, you got metal in your rear diff" long story short it needs to be replaced.

I'm like this lady doing the calculations in my head and putting two and two together, that this ain't going to work out. I could see me putting $1,000 into it, and I could see the dealer knocking off $500 or something if the bill was like $2,000 of work, but I'm quickly realizing this is getting heavy.

The porters realize this too and tell me that it's no big deal they have to drive them back all the time, then the tech says "how far?"

"5 hours"

Then he gave him a "yeahhh, I don't think so look" like it wasn't going to make it.

F--k me.

They get all the paperwork together and hand me an repair estimate of $7,000. Yeah ain't no way they're knocking that off.

Now I have to do the rough call of telling this guy the news. I start saying "hey so, they have some mandatory work to pass VA inspection and also some work that needs to be done now the total is about $7,000" then I get cut off, by a not WV accent by the sales manager, Dickie.

I don't mind using Dickie's name, because he was a c--t. he basically told me the car is sold AS IS and that's what we agreed to.

First, no. Second, I'd never buy a 14 year old car, for $18,000 cash without having someone look at it.

Now it's cars sales, sure, but I did not expect that colorful of language to be said to me after I told him I'm not buying it for $18k.

Then he asks "I got two guys tied up and paying them $250.00 each, what are we going to do about that?!"

The audacity of trying to sell me a truck that needed a new rear and then guilt trip me into paying your employees. Lowest of the low. Especially since I asked multiple times with the salesman "what happens if this truck is not all it's cracked up to be"

I told the guys, "hey, Dickie's not happy" they said "aw he'll get over it"

They also said " I was just telling David, I never thought to do something like this before buying a car. You got your head screwed on straight"

Then they had to drive me home, where Dickie called them and I could over hear, oof Big Mad.

I drove my Prius to Chipotle and stress ate a healthy burrito bowl because I was so Razzle Dazzled.

Back to the drawing board. I just want a decent FJ.
------------------------------------------
List of Repairs for those interested:
  • Replace Rear Differential gearing due to metal debris in fluid and roaring noise: $4,050.00
  • Replace water pump due to leaking: $770
  • Replace exhaust after the catalytic converter back: $1,280
  • Replace both front axle due to leaking: $825.
  • Misc. Maintenance Total was: $1,470
  • Total: $8,395
thanks for reading, I think I'm turning my search more passive now. :( May reach back out to a fellow forum member and take a look at his.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts