Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just bought a '14 Team Trails (last one was a '66 FJ40 - quite an update!) Any ideas on how to protect the crappy vinyl on the back of the rear seats. I have a cargo mat for the floor, but first cardboard box I loaded onto the rear seat backs (folded down) scratched them up... Does anybody know of an aftermarket replacement for this backing, or any ideas on repair??

Thanks,

John

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
34,537 Posts
There have been a couple of recent threads about this where people have covered that area with a piece of carpet or something. Some seat covers have you slide them all the way down over the back of the seat covering the plastic too, but then you have problems with cargo snagging on the seat cover when loading or unloading. I haven't really seen any commercial solution though.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
welcome

we all have the scratches.

you can line-x the back of the seats. but, i imagine after awhile it wont bother you once the outside gets its pinstripes.

·
Registered
304 Posts
welcome

we all have the scratches.

you can line-x the back of the seats. but, i imagine after awhile it wont bother you once the outside gets its pinstripes.
I agree, this is good advice. After a few months of use (that is utility use, not grocery fetching) you get used to it and start treating it like the truck it is. The FJ is made to get dirty and beat up, not pampered. I was in your shoes when I first bought mine, and the previous owner took very good care of it. It's my first truck, and I bought it to haul stuff around, and to get out and adventure. In the 11 months I've had it, it's clearly showing the fun I've had with it :)

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
G'day,
You could try a vinyl wrap across the hard plastic backing ..this will scuff instead of the plastic.
and when really banged up, replace with another sheet....

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
This is what i did. Bought a mat...cut to shape of curves on back of seats, notched to take tie-down's used automotive fuel line as an edge. Glued with contact cement but used nylon wire ties to help hold in place especially on curves. be careful when cutting the tubing...could slice your fingers off so try a dremel tool...easier on the hands and fingers. Only draw back is you have to carefully fold up if the seats are in the up position. But i keep my seats down so no need to do this

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
A stall mat from tractor supply works great. Padded and heavy duty. Have to use a sawzall or saber saw to custom cut it though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts