Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that everybody wants to put some wiring up to the roof...

Whether it be for lights, CB antenna, GPS antenna, video camera cables, etc., many people have a need for wires to the roof.

People have devised some ingenious and not-so-ingenious ways to achieve this... I would think that some sort of fool-proof, water-proof, idiot-proof port could be engineered to support these projects.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Well... They have the wiring port for the factory air deflector it must be pretty fool proof if I installed and haven't seen any leaks. The only problem I see with it is that it's seems to use pretty small gauge wiring, it might not be able to handle most applications.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Well... They have the wiring port for the factory air deflector it must be pretty fool proof if I installed and haven't seen any leaks. The only problem I see with it is that it's seems to use pretty small gauge wiring, it might not be able to handle most applications.
That OEM light set-up you have requires drilling a hole into your roof. I take it you did not install the lights yourself. I believe the OP was talking about having something installed at the factory that would allow easier access to running wires, i.e. not have to drill through the roof.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I don't think a hole can be avoided. If you look at the vehicles that are used as police and emergency vehicles with light-bars, speakers etc., you'll find a hole somewhere on the roof.

It becomes a matter of discretion - in other words, where can you put a hole in the roof so it's functional but yet discrete.

Mike

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
That OEM light set-up you have requires drilling a hole into your roof. I take it you did not install the lights yourself. I believe the OP was talking about having something installed at the factory that would allow easier access to running wires, i.e. not have to drill through the roof.
When you start adding multiple lights (front rear sides) there just really isn't any way of getting around it. The problem with the factory offering a ready "Plug" simular to what comes with the factory air damm with lights, is that there are to many differnt light manufactuers, different wayspeople might want there lights wired, diffenrt roof racks whitch might put the factory "Hole" in a place that might not work with said rack. For example..

Is i've meantioned before i build emergency vehicles for a living. Ford, Chevy and now dodge offer pre wired "Police Packages" right from the factory that have a harness built in. 9 times out of 10 whenan agencie buys there vehicles with these wireing harnesses we tell them we can't use it, cause the harness doesn'thave enough power points to hook up the equipment they want/have. Ther are litteraly hundreds of different light bars, siren/light controlers on the emergency vehicle market, so the manufactuer isn't always going to have a harness that will work all that equipment. The same can be siad for the aftermarket when it comes to fog/flood lighting GPS and such.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5150: Interesting line of work! How do you typically handle all that wire traffic? Is there some sort of master port access you install?

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
5150, i was't referring to pre-wiring anything. Rather, making it easier to hook up something via a hole already up there.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I Unbolted The Front Roof Rack Post, Drilled A Hole Under It In Line With The Rack Tube Put A Groument In Roof . Drilled A Hole In Tube Ran Wiring Through Tube And Through Groument Into Cab Reinstalled Rack Mount , The Plastic Mount Provides The Water Tight Seal. I Have Not Had A Leak Yet. If You Do This Be Careful The Air Bag Is Right There. So Pull Head Liner Enough To See Where Your Hole Is Drilled I Also Ran A Ground From Inside Cab Through Groument To Roof Rack And Grounded Rack My Lites Are Grounded To Rack. Reseal Bolts With Sealant. The Hardest Part Was Reinstalling Plastic Mount To Tube Before Bolting Down.if Any Questions Contact Me

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
One would think that the biggest concern folks have is the actual drilling of the roof. I know that is one of my biggest concerns and when I mounted my amateur radio antennas on my xterra roof, it took me nearly a year to work up the courage to pop the 3/4" holes for my NMO mounts. After you do it the first time tho, it's old hat and you'll drill anything, anytime... even on your vehicle. :lol:

So - my suggestion to Toyota is put a pre-drilled 3/4" or 1" hole on the roof near one or both of the front rack mount points. Put a grommet and a removable rubber cap in there. That way, whatever you want to wire through there, you can do so by removing the interior 'A' pillar panel and snaking the wire(s) through the hole. Drill through the rubber cap, then seal it up around the wire and viola - a no-stress wiring scheme that can be changed any time you want just by buying a replacement grommet/cap and removing minor interior panels.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
5150: Interesting line of work! How do you typically handle all that wire traffic? Is there some sort of master port access you install?
Typicly, we just drill a hole right under where the harness for the light bar is, instert a hard rubber, or PVC pipe though the hole and pass the light bar harness though that, and silicone so there's no moisture. Ther purpose of the PVC pipe is that on many lightbars, there might be more than one harness (If the light bar has an opticom for example) and it just makes for a cleaner install. Been doing this for years, and never had a leak. (knock on wood):bangin:

5150, i was't referring to pre-wiring anything. Rather, making it easier to hook up something via a hole already up there.
Ahh ok, gotcha. This could be a good idea for those afraid to drill any holes. Only problem i see if some jerk off walking by someones rig and removing the plug for there own personal sic version of a joke. No fun to wake up in the mourning to find a wet FJ interior.

I Unbolted The Front Roof Rack Post, Drilled A Hole Under It In Line With The Rack Tube Put A Groument In Roof . Drilled A Hole In Tube Ran Wiring Through Tube And Through Groument Into Cab Reinstalled Rack Mount , The Plastic Mount Provides The Water Tight Seal. I Have Not Had A Leak Yet. If You Do This Be Careful The Air Bag Is Right There. So Pull Head Liner Enough To See Where Your Hole Is Drilled I Also Ran A Ground From Inside Cab Through Groument To Roof Rack And Grounded Rack My Lites Are Grounded To Rack. Reseal Bolts With Sealant. The Hardest Part Was Reinstalling Plastic Mount To Tube Before Bolting Down.if Any Questions Contact Me
This is exactly what i did for my roof rack lights.

One would think that the biggest concern folks have is the actual drilling of the roof. I know that is one of my biggest concerns and when I mounted my amateur radio antennas on my xterra roof, it took me nearly a year to work up the courage to pop the 3/4" holes for my NMO mounts. After you do it the first time tho, it's old hat and you'll drill anything, anytime... even on your vehicle. :lol:
Yup. Drilling into a roof is no big thing anymore. Done it so much it i wouldn't even think twice about it if it needed to be done. But i can understand how some would be hesatant....

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just use a Myer's Hub, a 90* elbow and some heat shrink. This is what the Myer's hub is used for.

You can find one at an electrical supply store. A 3/4" is ~$5.00.

Search for Shadow Warrior and Myer's Hub.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A search of "Myer's Hub" reveals one result and it is your post in this thread...

Can you give us more to go on?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
A search of "Myer's Hub" reveals one result and it is your post in this thread...

Can you give us more to go on?
That's what I thought too. Just take out the apostrophe and try it as "Myers Hub"

Shows the thread. Mighty damn ingenious that Shadow Warrior is too. I would have never thought to use that little gem.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sorry about the misspelling of Myers hub, guys. Glad you found it.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I like the idea of a port. They could have a small panel In the track where the roof rack attachments are located. It could be a screw off part with a cable raceway underneath.

You could drill holes in this panel to route wires. or someone could make an aftermarket wiring hub that could bold in place of it.

If you mess up, then it's a small panel to replace. It would not have to be pre-configured for any particular wiring scheme.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all, i am not much of a techno geek but found this product and ordered a 6awg 6 pin set up from them. this stuff is super mil-spec marine grade and i plan to put a port on my roof to allow for a removable rack. this will allow me to have nothing more protruding that a aluminum cap about the size of an xm antenna for daily driving and save on gas. the tech reps will walk you through the purchase and assured me that this stuff is submersion rated, hope i do not find out. I had to do a bit of soldering and some shrink wrap to connect the wires but in the end it will make a dc'able bomber connection. I will post picks when i get around to doing it. oh, the total cost was about 45 with shipping

Binder-USA Connectors - Waterproof Circular DIN Connectors

1 - 16 of 16 Posts