Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
been having this issue for a year now, the car is still pretty new, took good care of it, changed plugs, oil, cleaned maf everything else regularly

anyway, under medium acceleration i hear this puffing sounding coming from the engine (like a choo choo train), the car has lost some hp imo, but at max acceleration it's pretty fast, overall I feel as if I it lost some torque

the exhaust sounds rough guys, had this feeling again for a year now
not loosing oil/coolant, temps are ok, starts fine

will clean the pcv valve this weekend, but after that I'm all out of ideas.....
could it be the intake leak, or is it possible for the exhaust to get damaged, bent inside causing these sounds?

I will record the sounds tommorow

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just a sound or can you feel it too? If you can feel it it may be a coil pack... But not likely.

I'll admit I have something kinda like you have. It's only on certain days and doesn't stick around long. Not seeming to hurt anything, though. Just sounds rough. It may just be my FJOCD. My first Fj never did this.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I bent my exhaust on my avalanche, which caused a leak were the exhaust meets the headers, causing that sound. I didn't hear it much when idling, but could hear it very well when driving around.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Mine's quick. It's rpm/ cylinder firing related... So it seems. But it doesn't last long (3-5 min) and doesn't do it every start-up. Strange. Seems to be drivers side. Truck has 30k miles. Just shocked someone else may be having the same issue.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a sound or can you feel it too? If you can feel it it may be a coil pack... But not likely.

I'll admit I have something kinda like you have. It's only on certain days and doesn't stick around long. Not seeming to hurt anything, though. Just sounds rough. It may just be my FJOCD. My first Fj never did this.
same here, some days it's gone, some days it's just bad, it's definatelly noticable

definatelly lost some hp, when downshifting it will rather go into higher rpm, the torque it used to have is gone

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exhaust leak or vacuum leak most likely; either would result in some power loss. How fast are the puffs? An exhaust leak makes very quick "puffs".

the exhaust is like new, I never off road so I never bent it etc

how do I go about checking the vacuum leak? when I disconnect the hoses I hear a vacuum hiss, so it looks as if it's holding some pressure

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
how do I go about checking the vacuum leak? when I disconnect the hoses I hear a vacuum hiss, so it looks as if it's holding some pressure
Start the engine after it has been cold for a long time, and spray or dribble soapy water around the intake manifold and the vacuum hoses. If there is a leak, you will see soapy bubbles and/or a dip in idle rpm.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Start the engine after it has been cold for a long time, and spray or dribble soapy water around the intake manifold and the vacuum hoses. If there is a leak, you will see soapy bubbles and/or a dip in idle rpm.
thanks I'll try that, hopefully it's something easy to fix and not the engine itself

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
the exhaust is like new, I never off road so I never bent it etc

You could have a bad exhaust gasket. Check to see if your exhaust manifolds are tight. If they get loose they could easily cause that noise or eat up a gasket.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Maybe, just maybe, it might be a loose plug. You say you changed plugs as part of your regular maintenance routine and may not have torqued them all to the right setting.

My brother in law had an old Ford six cylinder who's plugs would work loose over time. It would start making a chuffing sound a few miles before popping one loose then really make a racket. This was long ago when there were full service stations. His wife regularly drove the car and would pull in for gas, have the oil checked and ask the attendant to "tighten the spark plugs"! Yeah lady, right! On her insistence the attendant would reluctantly get a spark plug wrench and discover she was right, some of them were loose. If I remember it was a common problem with some of the Ford inline 6 cylinders.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Gasket is possible. Plugs are too. Mine haven't been touched, though, but worth a shot.
But I still wonder why it isn't constant. Crazy. Almost seems related to the cold start system.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gasket is possible. Plugs are too. Mine haven't been touched, though, but worth a shot.
But I still wonder why it isn't constant. Crazy. Almost seems related to the cold start system.
I still hear it when the car warms up, both cold and warm days

Maybe, just maybe, it might be a loose plug. You say you changed plugs as part of your regular maintenance routine and may not have torqued them all to the right setting.
no, plugs are ok, double checked everything

the exhaust manifold gaskets look good, but then I havent checked them that good, it would reduce torque but improve the high end power...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts