Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning my 07 since new I finally set aside a weekend, fabricated and installed my upgraded stereo.

My goal was to achieve exceptional sound quality and keep it looking like it should have come factory installed.

People who SEE the system are underwhelmed at best, when they HEAR the system they are blown away. I consider that a complete SUCCESS!!!

Main skeleton of sub enclosure
View attachment 43178

Finished fabrication of sub enclosure
sub 2.jpg

Sub enclosure completed and installed with an Alpine 4 channel amp and a JL Audio 8". Don't be mislead, a JL 8 will drop! Besides I'm not looking to blow out my windows or my ears!
sub 3.jpg

I installed some JL Audio 3 way 6x9's in the doors
6x9.jpg

Keeping with the factory look I molded some tweeters into the A-pillars I even matched the factory texture!
tweeter 2.jpg

The head unit I am using is a Pioneer Premier Avicf90bt, which is still sending power to the remaining factory speakers as added fill.

Attachments

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Looking good!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
627 Posts
After owning my 07 since new I finally set aside a weekend, fabricated and installed my upgraded stereo.

My goal was to achieve exceptional sound quality and keep it looking like it should have come factory installed.

People who SEE the system are underwhelmed at best, when they HEAR the system they are blown away. I consider that a complete SUCCESS!!!
That is some nice custom work. Very nice. I wish I could listen to it. Let me know next time you drive through Florida. Hey - take a trip to Disney World in the FJ. :bigthumb:

I have an Alpine 4 channel amp sitting on the shelf doing absolutely nothing but collecting dust ... maybe some day I will install it. I just don't have the time or energy to pull the trigger on that one (yet).

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
You ought to make templates for that amp and sub enclosure and sell them with instructions for DIY folks.

-FJ Florida-

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
nice work.... sub/amp box looks great. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Very nice craftsmanship and design.
Would you post the dimensions?
Or would you be willing to make another one and sell it?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice craftsmanship and design.
Would you post the dimensions?
Or would you be willing to make another one and sell it?

Building this enclosure was one of those over zealous projects that quickly became frustrating. None of the panels are the same, measurements and cutting angles can be on 3 different axis for a single piece.

I am sorry to say that I no longer have the measurements. However, being that the box is so compact and only using the 8" sub, I used 1/4" MDF for the wooden structure. To add additional strength in the joints and corners I used liquid nails, nailed them together and then sealed the joints with "kitty hair", the green stuff in the picture.

Basically its ridiculously solid!

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Your product is much nicer than the one from Toyota. You may be missing out on some income from this.
Thanks for the response and thank you for at least the initial design overview. I am going to put an amp in and was looking at putting it under the seat. This is a much cleaner idea.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your product is much nicer than the one from Toyota. You may be missing out on some income from this.
Thanks for the response and thank you for at least the initial design overview. I am going to put an amp in and was looking at putting it under the seat. This is a much cleaner idea.
My approach is always to have that "clean" outcome.

All the wires are run into the box through the tail light access panel. I do not believe in cutting or drilling ANY holes into the factory interior panels. This can be challenging but there is almost always a solution.

Good luck with your install.

·
Registered
305 Posts
im running amped 6x9s in the doors and parralleled tweeters in the dash where the stock 2.5s were. Im wondering if puting 3.5s in the dash and tweeters in the a-pillar would sound better? Mine sounds awesome but im wondering if ur setup is even better! Nice work, how does the 8 inch sub sound?

·
Registered
627 Posts
My approach is always to have that "clean" outcome.

All the wires are run into the box through the tail light access panel. I do not believe in cutting or drilling ANY holes into the factory interior panels. This can be challenging but there is almost always a solution.

Good luck with your install.
I like that approach. How is the enclosure held in place?

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im running amped 6x9s in the doors and parralleled tweeters in the dash where the stock 2.5s were. Im wondering if puting 3.5s in the dash and tweeters in the a-pillar would sound better? Mine sounds awesome but im wondering if ur setup is even better! Nice work, how does the 8 inch sub sound?

I have always believed a person should setup their stereo to what they like.

My stereo is setup how I think it sounds good. I love the full spectrum of sound, with an emphasis on clarity. Clarity not only in the highs but in very nice tightly repoduced bass. I am not a fan of the sloppy boomy bass, which is why I used an 8" JL Audio. The 8" feels like a solid thump in the seat from a kickdrum or it will drop hard without any distortion.

I am very impressed with the JL 8" and glad I did not try to stuff a 10" which I believe would have been overkill in an open cabin.

The tricky part is in the tuning and crossover points so that all the speakers kind of meld together and the music surrounds you.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like that approach. How is the enclosure held in place?

-FJ Florida-
The back is a molded piece of fiberglass. I removed those two cargo hook things and secured the box using two bolts into where the hooks were. It is very secure.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Nice install. I love jl subs.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
nice install looking great!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GE approves...you planned it right and it shows.

I have the 'glass curing on my box right now.

Thanks for the approval.

Post up some pic's of your enclosure when you finish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts