Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled the trigger on the OME medium set up for the FJ. I told myself I wasn't going to mod this truck and I don't even have 3k miles on her yet. I knew I couldn't hold out am excited to start the modding.

I'm going to be doing the install myself and had LT pre-load everything so I can make my install easier.
So does anyone have install tips for me?

:bigthumb: to Metal Tech

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Congrats! I have the OME/ToyTec lift on mine. Very happy with it.

A couple of tips... get a big crowbar. Ya gotta pry down on the lower control arm to get the new front springs in. And I used loctite on the fasteners when it went back together.

You know the drill....post pics when you get the lift in.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! I have the OME/ToyTec lift on mine. Very happy with it.

A couple of tips... get a big crowbar. Ya gotta pry down on the lower control arm to get the new front springs in. And I used loctite on the fasteners when it went back together.

You know the drill....post pics when you get the lift in.
Thanks for the info. I want to make sure there are no surprises.

·
Banned
463 Posts
When I installed my lift I didn't have to use a crowbar, just disconnected the sway bar and easily got the old shocks out and new shocks on. As long as you have the truck on jack stands and have a hydraulic jack, you'll be fine. Don't expect it to be done fast and make sure you retrace all of your steps putting it back together. Good luck :D.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I installed my lift I didn't have to use a crowbar, just disconnected the sway bar and easily got the old shocks out and new shocks on. As long as you have the truck on jack stands and have a hydraulic jack, you'll be fine. Don't expect it to be done fast and make sure you retrace all of your steps putting it back together. Good luck :D.
Thanks, I'll remember to retrace my steps. I'll be sure to post some pics.

·
Registered
834 Posts
congrats on the lift choice i have the same one love it. Also i did not have to remove the swaybar or the front skid

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
I just swapped out suspension on mine last Friday. Well, Wrigman did it, I just turned a couple of wrenches. It makes life SO much easier to just drop the sway bar. You don't really have to drop the skid, just unbolt the sway bar to rotate the sway bar out of the way.

Congrats on the lift. This, and tires, are what I wanna do to my rig next...after I win the lottery.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice guys.
I was originally going with a SAW set up and realized it was overkill for what I need. I decided to go with the OME set up and put the money saved into some new rims/tires. I've had a few modded cars/trucks and never really took the time to learn how to install or work on them. I usually just payed some one to do everything. I've always wanted an FJ and want to do as many mods myself as possible. It's a great way for me to learn about my rig, and I know that I will enjoy it more knowing that I did the mods myself. (end happy owner rant)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
congrats on the lift choice i have the same one love it. Also i did not have to remove the swaybar or the front skid
I was keeping track of your threads and saw how happy you were with your set up. That's part of the reason why I went with this set up.

I just couldn't deal with having a stock Fj anymore. This is my first truck out of college and I want it to fit all my needs. I just bought a place in Baja and want to make my rig the ultimate Baja surf rig.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I plan on driving down to Cabo Thanksgiving 09, I too hope to have the ultimate Baja rig by then. Good luck on the install.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I plan on driving down to Cabo Thanksgiving 09, I too hope to have the ultimate Baja rig by then. Good luck on the install.
Thanks. Your rig looks awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts