Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was alerted by daPitbull on the NorCal site (thanks Dude!) about this trailer on CraigsList and pulled the trigger for $600 with the generator included. Like a blank slate, my plan is to transform this 4'x6' into a camp ready rig with a RTT thats TBD. And because I am in California it will also double as my emergency earthquake ready trailer kit too. The lists are identical: water, gas, propane, cooking stove, fridge, food and a little spare cash stashed onboard. Hopefully skersfans will help me upgrade the axel set-up and produce a couple of those fine onboard metal cabinets. What do ya say Bob?

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
567 Posts
That's pretty sweet, especially for $600!

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
let me know the size of he boxes you want and I can handle that, no problem.

I need to know the frame rails width from side to side..

I would try to shorten the tongue a foot or two. you will have high centering problems on real off road trails.

I think your fenders will work fine.

You may need to strengthen the frame a little, send me a picture of it and I will try to figure something out.

I am finally catching up with work and back to working on my trailers. Just had a rash of growth and moving even more out of state.

It looks good for that price it is amazing. Looks to be well taken care of.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
What a great deal! Start a build thread.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude, do I get a finder's fee?:king:
Yeah, when I am done I'll give you a weekend run with the girls. It will, of course, be dog friendly so Avalon wont have to sleep on the ground anymore either. Will have to teach her to climb a short ladder though.

Avalon on Camp patrol in Red Rock Canyon

·
Registered
8,528 Posts
Looks good! Hope you have lots of fun with it.

It's been a few months since we wheeled together at the Summit. Hope things are well on your end. All is well in NM.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Great price. I'm thinkin you have great things planned for it. :rocker:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Over on this side of the continent the boys seem to be aiming at the old military trailers..... It is neat to see everyone's take on a good trailer for behind our trucks....

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
If Avalon has a little Border Collie in her... (just looking at her color, she seems a little less wirey like my Mollie Dogginz, but the previous owners claimed she is purebred Austrailian) ...Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about her and the ladder.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Who makes it? Wouldn't mind looking for one just like that for the same purpose.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's pretty sweet, especially for $600!
e-mailed the guy and checked it out the next day and immediately said sold.Didn't even try to talk him down. ( Unusual for me )
Great find!
I'd rather be lucky than good!
What a great deal! Start a build thread.:rocker:
Thanks, I believe I will. In the same spirit that so many have inspired me with their ideas put into pics and words.
Great price. I'm thinkin you have great things planned for it. :rocker:
Been looking and lurking at other set ups for a year &1/2. Inspired by Bob's rig I saw in person at Big Bear Invitational last year.
Sweet find! Looks like a fun project.
Not even a week into it and the ideas are whirling around. Good winter time project. All suggestions and product recommendations, ie, RTT, Fridge, welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Looks like you got a great deal Mike.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

:bigthumb:

-

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Who makes it? Wouldn't mind looking for one just like that for the same purpose.
Says "Roberts Metal Manfacturing" on the sticker. Could not find out any thing on Google. Made in 1994 GVW 1,500. The box is 51"W x 72"L x 25"H.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks good! Hope you have lots of fun with it.

It's been a few months since we wheeled together at the Summit. Hope things are well on your end. All is well in NM.
All Good here, plenty of time to complete this project for the 2010 FJ Summit.
Hijacking my own thread.............(a little, but it ties back into trailers)
To the best Tail Gunner a Trail Leader could have!

Speaking of which, whats missing from this picture??

Would have been like a Royal Flush of the FJ Bumble Bee run, Black Diamond and Sun Fusion ONLY on our Black Bear Pass run. Found out MtbCoach was to be on our run only he was back home working on HIS trailer!
He was our missing Sun Fusion.
Next year.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
let me know the size of he boxes you want and I can handle that, no problem.

I need to know the frame rails width from side to side..

I would try to shorten the tongue a foot or two. you will have high centering problems on real off road trails.

I think your fenders will work fine.

You may need to strengthen the frame a little, send me a picture of it and I will try to figure something out.

It looks good for that price it is amazing. Looks to be well taken care of.

Bob
The Space for the 2 boxes measures 72"L x 10"-12" W x 13" T. This is from the fender to the top of the box base and then the entire length (maybe 2 boxes per side with fold down doors that act as a table/platform?) I would need to re-locate the latches to the front and back.
The frame is 51" x 72". Hopefully the pics give you a good enough view to tell whats going on underneath and you can recomend what needs to be done for strength, suspension and axel.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Heck of a find! That looks so clean too.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
1 - 20 of 65 Posts