Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've had my pullpal for a while now, and have the padding/case with it. But I'm wondering where does everyone keep/mount it on their FJ? Inside in the back? I'm thinking about trying to mount it on my Gobi behind my tent, in front of my gas/water cans, but it would be a bear to get to.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
My Pull-pal is stored in the cardboard box that was used to ship it. I have it in my cargo area with one side up on the driver side shelf and the other side lower. It fits snugly and strap it down on both sides just to be sure (500lb straps). It not easy to get to, but I also hope that I never need to use it. It's very secure and doesn't move at all.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that sounds good, but is a no go since I have the back loaded with the Engle fridge, recovery/cooking/tools. If I could work it around the fridge, it would be good to have it safe inside.

Anyone else? I know others own these...

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Just bought one with the case and haven't tried to travel with it yet.

It's currently in the padded case in the cardboard box that it came in too, but this box is much bigger than the one for the PullPal alone and I wouldn't think if trying to bring that along. The case should fit snuggly inside the cargo area behind the front seats or somewhere along the sides. I was thinking about trying to mount the body to the side of the roof rack (and keep the shovel inside), but the body is so huge and heavy that I think it'll be better just left in the padded case somewhere in the cargo area. That may change with further thought, but that's my take on it for now.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Bellydoc: Great setup!!! Please give us the details for installing the bracket -- how did you do it and what parts did you use? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
I started by recognizing that I didn't want to carry the weight up on the roof rack. I'm off camber far too often to feel comfortable about extraneous weight up there and the RW14000 Pull-Pal is HEAVY!! Also, I hate when stuff rattles around.

I chose this space because I could get the shovel section to fit into the hollow behind the overhang of the seat, and the shaft section fits across the space on top. It impacts my cargo capacity minimally, if at all.

The base is a giant C shape made of angle iron. I have two little tabs welded onto the ends of the C which go UNDER the tie down D-rings near the door. The tabs have a small bend in them so that they form into the hollow space under the mat where the D-ring bolts down. The bolts and D-rings come out, the rack goes in and the bolts and D-rings go back in on top.

Vertical angle iron segments come up off the frame just behind the seats, and are cut at an angle on top, so that they don't gouge into the seat backs. I have an angle iron crossbar which makes a shelf for the shaft section. The shelf sits at a height that gives me just enough room for the shovel piece. The shaft section clicks in behind a lip made from a couple of pieces of 3/8 round stock welded to the edge of the shelf. The shovel part clicks in behind a similar lip welded to the base.

Behind the shaft section, I welded on an independent upright with a piece of 1/2 x 13 all-thread in it. The threaded section comes out between the folding portions of the shaft. I bent up a piece of thin 1" wide stock with a half inch hole in the center to grip onto both the shaft and the shovel at the same time. It locks down with a single wing nut.

The shelf and contact surfaces which touch the Pull-Pal parts are covered with neoprene foam tape that's used for insulating pipe.

At the front corners, the D-rings are inset into the angled plastic transition behind the seat backs. Rather than modify this, I drilled holes halfway up the uprights. I use a pair of turnbuckles to hook into these holes and into the D-rings. When I tighten them hand tight, they lock the rack DOWN and forward into rigid stabilization.

In order to offset the bending force that the turnbuckles have on the uprights, I have a pair of 3/8 round stock struts welded in at an angle, behind the uprights. This fixates the uprights in a triangle.

The rack is sturdy enough to rig other things off of. Ultimately, if anything fails, it's going to be the weenie little bolts that hold it into the sheet metal!

This one fits the 14000 pound version nicely, but the space would work equally well for one of the smaller models.

I'd be happy to bang one out for you. You just have to come over and bring your Pull-Pal. I've got everything else on hand except the turnbuckles, which we can get around the corner at Lowes. :D

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I'd be happy to bang one out for you. You just have to come over and bring your Pull-Pal. I've got everything else on hand except the turnbuckles, which we can get around the corner at Lowes. :D
Wow! That's way more than I want to take on. Guess I'll have to wait to schedule a trip to or through Phoenix. ;)

Thanks, for the offer. I'll let you know when to expect me. :wave:

·
Registered
923 Posts
I havn't figured out a place for it yet... in 6 years of owning one, I've never had to use it except for winching demos and just playing around with it.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
The smaller 11k model.
If you get a chance, could you measure it for me?

I'd be interested in the width and length of the shovel blade as well as the overall length of the folded shaft section. If you could also check size of the square tube that it's formed up out of, it would help me think about this.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts

I'd be interested in the width and length of the shovel blade as well as the overall length of the folded shaft section. If you could also check size of the square tube that it's formed up out of, it would help me think about this.
Ok, will do. :)

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
What size Pull-Pal do you have?
Okay, scratch that. I don't wish i had your building skills or tools. i just wished i lived near you!

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Okay, scratch that. I don't wish i had your building skills or tools. i just wished i lived near you!

I'm right along your route to a Los Angeles or San Diego vacation. ;)

Alternately, you can wait till I muster for a pilgrimage to the N.O. Jazz Festival and meet me on Bourbon St... but then you'd have to buy me a hurricane at Pat O'Brien's. All bets are off after that.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I'm right along your route to a Los Angeles or San Diego vacation. ;)

Alternately, you can wait till I muster for a pilgrimage to the N.O. Jazz Festival and meet me on Bourbon St... but then you'd have to buy me a hurricane at Pat O'Brien's. All bets are off after that.
I think Jazzfest is going on right now actually. Good times.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts

Here are the measurements that I came up with for my 11k PullPal:

Shovel width across the top: 10 5/8"
Shovel length overall (from top to tip): 23 5/8"
Overall length of main (square) tube (which ends with the D-ring hole): 45 5/8"
Size of each side of the square tube (as painted): exactly 3.9cm or about 1 9/16"

I also have measurements of the length of the side of the blade to the start of the angle and from the start of the angle to the tip if you need them. I didn't take any measures of the folding arm assembly attached to the main tube.

Are you going to try to fab a bracket from this info?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts