Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a very clean 2007 2WD FJ Cruiser and I do not know the history regarding transmission maintenance. It has 113k miles on it and is shifting fine I would like to get recommendations. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
congrats!

Given you do not do the history, I would baseline the truck,

Spark Plugs
Air Filters
All fluids (engine, trans etc).

Tranny fluid:

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,108 Posts
Just bought a very clean 2007 2WD FJ Cruiser and I do not know the history regarding transmission maintenance. It has 113k miles on it and is shifting fine I would like to get recommendations. Thank you.
The best answer is to just get it done. I take mine to the dealership annually for a complete fluid exchange using their machine, and of course World Standard Trans Fluid....because I want my FJ to be immortal ? They may tell you the party line about it not being necessary, or it might loosen up debris, but neither theory is correct. It’s not a power flush and all fluids break down. It’s a bit pricey, but way less than a new transmission!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Jeff, sound advice, Deb knows how to take care of hard working FJs. ?

I want my FJ to be immortal ?
Deb, I have a vision of you in the garage, hear your voiceover...
"I can rebuild it. I have the mods. I have the capability. It'll be better than it was before.
Better... stronger..."
A 6 million dollar FJ? Yea..I can believe that too. ?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,108 Posts
Jeff, sound advice, Deb knows how to take care of hard working FJs. ?

Deb, I have a vision of you in the garage, hear your voiceover...
"I can rebuild it. I have the mods. I have the capability. It'll be better than it was before.
Better... stronger..."
A 6 million dollar FJ? Yea..I can believe that too. ?
Thanks for bringing a huge smile to my face....much needed in these crazy times!! ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought an 07 a few years ago. I drained the tranny fluid into a large marked clear paint bucket that I got at Lowe’s, so I’d know exactly how much came out. I removed the pan, and filter. I stalled a new filter, and put the same amount of a Toyota fluid back in it. On my next two oil changes. I just drained the tranny, and replaced what I drained. I know it’s not a complete flush, I’d call it a recharge, but it worked fine. It’s been several years now, and it runs great. the First time I drained it the fluid was quite dark. The last time it was nice and red.

When I replaced the filter, it took 4.5 qt, and when I just drained it, it took 3 qt. I caution you that when you remove the filter have a large wide catch pan. It’s messy. I just poured what I caught in the large pan into the clear measure bucket when it was done to measure the entire amount.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts