Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm close to pulling the trigger and getting some new wheels and tires. But, just want to make sure that everything will fit with my stock 2010 FJ since I have NO lift.

Looking at getting these wheels (Rock Crushers). Part number 887-68060B. They are 16" x 8" with 6 x 5.5 bolt pattern, 3.625" backspace, and a 4.250 center bore.

I want to get 285/75/16 tires. I have it down to either Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ RAdials or the BFG Mud Terrian KM2

Do you think they will fit without rubbing? Or will I have to do a body mount chop?

I appreciate the help! Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
You will need the body mount chop. I have the BFG KM2's in the same size and I had to do the body mount chop in addition to my 3" Icon lift.

Rick

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I have the mtz's on my jeep. I've put probably 3k miles on them in 4 years. They are a pretty soft compound. Makes them great on the rocks. They are super sticky. In the mud they are the best tire I've had. I've ran intercos, bf km/km2, nitto mud Grapplers, mtrs, etc... However I would not run them on a daily driver. I would go with either the toyo mt or nitto trail grappler

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you positive I will need to chop the body mount? I won't have to add a lift, correct? Also, is that the correct size wheel?

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
You'll be rubbing. At minimum you'll need to chop the body mount if not run a 3" lift (unless your quoted tires don't actually measure up to the advertised size)

Then again if you never go offroad you probably won't notice it except when pulling into parking lots with any decent drainage grade (tucking your tires towards the body mount/rear wheel well in compression).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm not positive you'll need a body mount chop, but I'm positive I needed a body mount chop when I installed the BFG KM2's. I already had the 3" lift, but the front tires would rub on the body mounts during turns.

If you're going to take your FJ off-road, I suggest doing both a 3" lift and the body mount chop. It's not too cool to watch chunks of rubber get peeled off those expensive new tires.

Rick

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I won't be taking it off-road. Just enjoy taking it out on the streets of Cleveland after a heavy snow fall :)

So, with no off-roading what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd say do what I did. Install the new wheels and tires and see if they rub. If, get the chop. If not, buy a lottery ticket cause it's your lucky day.

Go Buckeyes!

Rick

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you're not off-roading buy yourself a cheap spacer lift. What do they go for? $300 or less? Then you won't have to worry about rubbing and you'll look BA.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine came with 17" wheels, but I changed to 16" wheels in order to have more tire side wall for off-roading. Keep in mind though, not all 16" wheels will fit the FJ. I believe mine have 4.5 inches of back spacing, but can't remember for sure. Check with a good off-road shop, they'll be able to tell you what will fit.

Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts