Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching the forums I see that there are a few folks who have added this stuff. I'd like to know if it actually does anything and if there are any negatives. There are reports of "gunking" up the cooling system on a NSX performance car site. Also, our FJs are not shipped with the usual green coolant, we have some sort of pink Toyota juice.

My state requires a front license plate, which covers a lot of the lower radiator grill, and I installed 4 lights that impede airflow a bit. My thinking is that the coolant additive might help to counter the reduced cooling caused by my mods.

OK, perhaps this is Cliff Clavin type thinking, but if anyone has any facts on this product, please pass it on.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I used it....wasn't that impressed. It seemed to very mildly (I'm talking at most a few degrees) lower temps and I have a real mechanical temp gauge, not the dummy found in your FJC.

Instead I went to a two stage thermostat....dropped the temp from 220º to 190º....but that was on a 22re that was being blocked by a winch, extremely small grill and a full hydro cooler sitting/radiating a metric ass ton of heat right into the radiator.

Sean

***EDIT*** Oh, and I tried it both ways....straight distilled water and the mixture of ethylene glycol and Purple Ice. With the mixture....it did absolutely NOTHING. The straight water mix lowered temps a few degrees, but you lose all your "anti-freeze" capability....not much of a problem here in Phoenix, but I do travel to Ouray once a year and it gets close to freezing early in the AM at high elevation.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
You can't find Purple Ice around here even though a few places carry RP oils. I've used Redline's Water Wetter in several vehicles. No obvious difference, and the gauges in most vehicles aren't accurate enough to tell anything. It might be working, but how would I know? Purple Ice is only supposed to lower the water temp by 8 degrees (if your running the standard AF mix) so not a lot.

The pink AF is the long life Toyota fluid.

The radiator in the FJ is thin but covers a very large frontal area and is very efficient at transferring heat. The only folks that have ever had a cooling issue were those that drove thru mud and/or muddy water. The FJ's radiator is a magnet for mud. The mud dries quickly on the fins and essentially blocks the heat transfer.

DEWFPO

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I've used it in my Mustangs, and it works as it says it works on the box. I swear by the stuff in Fords, but I am not so sure it will be necessary in the FJ. My temp reading from the ScanGauge II shows it really never goes above 190 degrees F.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I've used it in my Mustangs, and it works as it says it works on the box. I swear by the stuff in Fords, but I am not so sure it will be necessary in the FJ. My temp reading from the ScanGauge II shows it really never goes above 190 degrees F.
Ditto, I looked at the stuff the other day and dont think it will do anything for the FJ. My SG shows 190 even when its over 100 outside.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
190 degrees.. That's exactly what I'm seeing as well. I was pleasantly surprised as my TJ, would run at 210-220 at the coolest.. They would shoot up to 235 when out in the SW. I never liked that.. 190 seems much better.. Ron

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've actually been looking into this stuff to run in my S/C LTR. I don't think it will do much in the regular cooling system because there is a spring control thermostat that WILL always monitor flow, keeping the engine at the prescribed temp. However, in the supercharger's system I wondering what the temps are like. Does anyone have information on this?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
It'll work the same, but if the SC was added it could generate a little more heat. If/when everything is operating within design parameters, the thermostat will regulate the temperature about the design/target temperature. Problems arise when things are modified or changed (i.e. heat load or transfer capacity). As the heat load increases or the transfer capacity decreases the system will no longer be able to maintain the desired temperature. In a nutshell, a properly designed cooling system should be able to maintain the design temperature. If you increase the heat load (i.e. generate more HP/heat) or decreases the transfer capacity (i.e. plugged radiator or blocked air flow), she'll overheat.. Hope this helps.. Ron

I've actually been looking into this stuff to run in my S/C LTR. I don't think it will do much in the regular cooling system because there is a spring control thermostat that WILL always monitor flow, keeping the engine at the prescribed temp. However, in the supercharger's system I wondering what the temps are like. Does anyone have information on this?

·
Registered
933 Posts
While I don't have a scan gauge, the temp indicated by the electronic dash unit hasn't increased in temp at all since the install of the supercharger, no mater the driving conditions or loading I impart on it. Which makes me think the factory cooling system should be satisfactory for most other mods on a non s/c engine. Which does effectively make the purple ice in the engine's cooling system irrelevant. However, the supercharger comes with it's own "cooling" system. I'm thinking about using the Purple Ice in that system to see if I could lower intake temps. There isn't a thermostat controlling flow on that one.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I don't know about Purple ice, but I did use Redline Waterwetter in my Tacoma. When I sold it with over 230,000 miles on it still had the original water pump and the radiator looked as clean as new when you looked in the cap. Most Tacoma owners I knew of had to change their water pump at least once with far fewer miles then mine. I also used Prestone Dex-Cool extended life antifreeze and demineralized water for dilution and flushing. My FJ is using the same mix now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts