Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
@ Morris Mountain over the weekend where I apparently punched a hole in the oil pan. I slid off a rock and hit hard on the front diff support. I'll get a picture of the hole posted tonight. It did not go all the way through, but there is a oval shaped crack clearly visible on front left corner of the pan.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have a dent in mine if that counts for anything. If I had not gone out of town this past week I would have loved to go to Anniston only 45 minutes from me. Next time you go let me know and I will try to meet you. I also have a few places to ride in Talladega, about 30 minutes past Morris if you are interested in riding sometime.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It is soo buryied I can't get a picture of it. It happened on the climb to the right of Hornet's Nest. I forget the name of it. The easy line is left then right around the rocks. The hard line (that the TT was leading us through) is up and over the bedrock sticking up out of the ground like rounded off teeth.

I don't have any pictures that do it justice. In this shot the Taco is on the hard line.

Just the luck of the draw I guess. So now I'll buy some JB Weld.

If JB doesn't do the trick I'll have a party at my place and get some hands on pulling the engine.

Any one want to help?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Sorry to hear about your pan. Give Bud a call, he'll fix you right up with some armor

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I hope you mean the transmission oil pan... i.e. the exposed one. If you managed to smash your engine pan, well... wow!
fraid not. The cast aluminum, structural member of the engine and transmission..... oil pan. Not the stamped steel bubble oil pan where the oil plug is. I went under there tonight to count oil pan bolts and check clearences. Got to the rear of the oil pan and found the transmission's bell housing bolts to it too. That explains why the engine gets pulled to replace this oil pan.

Bummed. Big time.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
OH, that is a big (Buford T. Justice) OOOOOFFFF!!! You have to pull the engine?!!

I got stuck on the way out of the rock garden once, too, like the TTT taco did, but used my winch (and sliders/skids) to boost over.

Perfect weather, Morris Mtn's not as much fun when its wet.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL!!! OOOOOFFFF!!! is right. I've got three options. I'll try the cheap way first.

Cheap - JB weld the hole and buy Bud skids.
More expensive but better in the long run - buy a new pan replace it myself and buy Bud skids.
Very expensive - Let the dealer replace it and buy Bud skids.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Can't wait to see pics, it still blows my mind that this is even possible... I've been running without skids for a loooong long time. It must have just been the perfect shot in just the perfectly wrong place.

Hope the JB works out for ya...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JB Weld applied. It was hard to reach even after dropping the diff. I didn't take the diff all the way out.

Detached the drive shaft.

Detached the rear mount to allow a little more movement.

Also took loose the vacuum line, breather lines and electrical connection.

So here it is. The first two pictures it is hard to make out.

After cleaning and sanding the area.

So now it sets for the next 15 hours. Keeping my fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts