Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should have diesel engine options on fj cruiser.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I would have liked the 1KZ-TE engine as an option:

2982cc turbo Diesel
Four cylinders, belt-driven DOHC, four valves per cylinder

169HP @ 3600rpm
253 lb/ft torque @ 1400rpm

28MPG highway

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seriously diesel engine FTW.. it would save so much gas plus longer engine life. not that our engine sucks or not reliable but still..

·
Call me Pickles
831 Posts
If you got the $$$ look at Diesel Toys in San Antonio.
He has the V8 D4D twin turbo diesel out there looking for a home lol.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
DieselToys does some awesome, OE-quality work, but even they acknowledge that they are not the 'economical' choice when their conversions are typically $20k-$25k.

But yes, the 1KD-FTV D-4D motor already sold everywhere else in the world should have been U.S. emissions-certified as a choice for the FJC all along...

·
Call me Pickles
831 Posts
Something to consider though is that price reflects all parts and labor:

Engine
Custom Engine Mounts
Transmission
Transfer case
A/C
Power Steering
etc....

I don't know what all goes into a Diesel swap but a new Engine and Transmission even gas would still run you close to $10k "new" for a long block w/o all the accessories so this isnt an unrealistic price.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's sick.. but 20k????????jesus.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
that's sick.. but 20k????????jesus.
For what is basically a one-off, custom vehicle built to OE-manufacturer levels of quality, yes. Think about it more in terms of someone who's willing to put $10k in mods and preventative maintenance on a 20yr-old 80-Series Land Cruiser or $30k into the complete restoration of a classic/muscle car. There's a lot of reasons to do this type of conversion but, due to the steep buy-in costs, being economical is not one of them.

Just buying the front half-cut of a modern Hilux to get the D-4D motor and ECU would cost you around $12k.

:cheers:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Amen. The rest of the world get just about every vehicle with a diesel option.

Its the EPA/EPDs fault. The way they rate diesel emissions is completely backwards. They look at total emissions from a diesel as a percentage of what they actually give out instead of looking at the nominal pollution compared to gas engines. The diesel is around 35% less nominal (which is what really matters) but the pollution they give out is a higher percentage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts