Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I feel like a complete loser for asking.....but how do these go on??

does anyone have any pics from underneath.....I tried to do a search and only came up with alot of for sale ads......HELP lol :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't know if this helps. Kind of hard to take a pic from underneath. Start at the first hole in the frame behind the front mud flap and the rest should line up for you. Having two people really helps or a least some jack stands to hold them up. I think I started with the two middle bolts and worked my way out. I didn't know if you had the instructions or not so I took pics of those.:thinkerg: Hope this helps. . .:wave:

Attachments

·
Banned
3,593 Posts
ok survivor......put one bolt in the hole on the frame closest the front mud flap....top hole....thread in abot 3 full turns.....
lift the front of the rail so it slips over the bolt head....
install rear/top bolt a few turns and put rail up and over screw head.....
now it's hanging from the frame....continue adding bolts untill all 8 are in but not tight....

line them up and tighten bolts.....not the first two....

remove the first two bolts and place washers on them and reinstall.....and tighten....

Done!!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I suggest you get someone to help you, they are heavy, aren't they? I had to get my room mate to partially thread a few of the bolts while I laid on my back and propped the rail up there. I tried the whole jack/lift thing, that didn't work so well. Oh, and a universal fitting on your ratchet will be priceless for the top bolts, they are a bear to get to. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Prepare to invent your own swear words and have sore bloody knuckles by the time you are done. Toyota did not design these with "ease of install/uninstall" in mind.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that was the worst ****ing thing I have had to do to date on my FJ LOL........I did this alone, they are heavy as hell, the top bolts are a ***** and I have no idea how I am sitting here typing......but they are on and they look AWESOME

THANKS TO ALL!!!

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I, too, had no assistance when I put them on my FJ. Put mine on a couple of days ago. They are heavy when you're lying on your back, and get heavier while holding it up trying to figure out what you're doing, but not too bad. Here are a few ideas for anyone else thinking about installing rails: 1. I couldn't get clearance above the second bolt to fit through the keyhole so I used one bolt, hung the rail on one end, swung the other end up, and then threaded the second bolt. 2. I tempoarily removed the brake line bolt/holder while I installed the first end. That gave me much more room to maneuver the rail onto the first bolt. 3. Get right under the FJ side and rail and you will have much more leverage. They seem to be decent rails, nice knowing they are there if needed.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I laid on my back and supported the rails with my knees as i bolted them in. If you drink beer often, bending in this way will probably not be possible as your belly will get in the way.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
I had a couple of bolts that didn't want to start, felt like it was cross threading. A fellow forum member here loaned me a metric tap set from Lowes to clean up the threads. You meet some quality people here!

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
I installed my OEM sliders last week by myself. The cussing was flowing freely, and the knuckles are sore. I left the top front bolts out completely since I just couldn't get a socket up there. But they are in now, and they look great (thanks FJ Piper!!).

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had 2 friends help me install mine. It was a piece of cake. You all must be doing something wrong.:)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i recently put budbuilt rocksliders on my rig...luckily i have a portable lift for my motorcycle...and was able to use it to lift them up near right height...like having another set of hands. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts