Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my first winch so excuse the not knowing.
I have an ARB, with a warn 9.5 xp, I want to change
to a Syn. line and hawse. I got the hawse with off set mounting
holes. The hawse is 3/4 " thick, but there is 1 1/4" from where the hawse mounts to the outside of the bumper. So there would be 1/2" recess. That just seems wrong, I would think it should be flush or sticking out a bit.
What is the deal, do I space out the hawse or what??

Thanks

BirdMan:cheers:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey all, my first winch so excuse the not knowing.
I have an ARB, with a warn 9.5 xp, I want to change
to a Syn. line and hawse. I got the hawse with off set mounting
holes. The hawse is 3/4 " thick, but there is 1 1/4" from where the hawse mounts to the outside of the bumper. So there would be 1/2" recess. That just seems wrong, I would think it should be flush or sticking out a bit.
What is the deal, do I space out the hawse or what??

Thanks

BirdMan:cheers:
The ARB is really designed to use a roller fairlead. You can replace the metal rollers with plastic ones that are suitable for synthetic line. I got mine from Winchline. I think there is a really old thread about fitting a Hawse type fairlead to an ARB but after reading it I decided the plastic roller fairlead was a way better solution. Here is one of the old threads that discusses ARB and fairleads http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...minum-hawse-fairlead.html?highlight=ARB+hawse Search ARB hawse or ARB fairlead and you will find quite a few more.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
ARBs need to go with delrine type roller. It's just the way their bumper is designed.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thanks,, guess I should have researched every little detail, before hand.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know it's a few days later in a fast moving world, but I was busy this weekend and missed your post. Saw it when I was following up to see if there was anything new on a previous search. I had looked into replacing my cable with synthetic and found a Hawse Fairlead for feet first mounted winches at (don't cringe at the name) Willys Offroad Supply Company, willysoffroadsupply.com. It looks OK but sits back more than I like so I am going to install some 1" composite spacers behind it.:)

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Spacers. Not much is needed. The synthetic roller fairlead is the real way to go about this. But I like the idea of an aluminum hawse because I would want to use a thimble on the end of the winchline. It seems to me the thimble would damage a synthetic roller fairlead.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Spacers. Not much is needed. The synthetic roller fairlead is the real way to go about this. But I like the idea of an aluminum hawse because I would want to use a thimble on the end of the winchline. It seems to me the thimble would damage a synthetic roller fairlead.
I have the delrin roller fairlead and sythetic line with the thimble. The rollers are very tough, and I have had no damage from the thimble. You will be just fine using this set up.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
It seems to me the thimble would damage a synthetic roller fairlead.
I've been running synthetic/thimble with Delrin rollers on an ARB bumper for a year now and have used the winch 6 or 7 times in that period. I haven't had any problems with the thimble damaging the rollers.

I have the delrin roller fairlead and sythetic line with the thimble. The rollers are very tough, and I have had no damage from the thimble. You will be just fine using this set up.
X2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts