Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at the Toytec Aluma series 2.5 inch diameter shock lift kit: -25BOSS-FJP-ALM - Toytec Boss Aluma Series 2.5 Performance Suspension System (07+FJ Cruiser/03-09 4Runner)

They offer:
  • Optional HD Rear Superflex coils offer additional weight capacity. Recommended 150-200 lbs of constant load for 2-2.5" of lift.
I carry some gear in the back...maybe totals around 100lbs.

Would the HD springs be overkill? I want a smooth ride...not harsh. I don't do any extreme off-roading. Worst cases are washed out and washboard dirt and gravel roads.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
I would your gear if you haven't already. Its amazing how fast it adds up and you are carrying more than you think.

Any towing?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would your gear if you haven't already. Its amazing how fast it adds up and you are carrying more than you think.

Any towing?
Haven't weighed the gear...good idea...assuming that's what you meant (missing word). I don't tow enough for it to be a factor. I think I'm pretty close on my estimate of the gear weight..+/- 20 pounds. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll verify with a bathroom scale. :)

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
Haven't weighed the gear...good idea...assuming that's what you meant (missing word). I don't tow enough for it to be a factor. I think I'm pretty close on my estimate of the gear weight..+/- 20 pounds. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll verify with a bathroom scale. :)
Yup....darn it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have toytec 2” rear springs that are 0-200lbs or about 10% over stock IIRC.

At any rate I have to carry about 150lb (weighed) which is recovery gear, tools etc.
Without this it is way too rough on choppy pavement etc. It is fine on the big whoops but rough on the little stuff without adding weight.

That being said if I was too add a rear bumper the lift height would not be enough unless I removed my ballast.

I have OME 884 (light) front and with the toytec light rears (with weight) the ride is slightly stiffer than stock but acceptable if you are trying to emulate stock ride with a lift.

If I was to add a front bumper and winch and a rear bumper I would have to respring.
HTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I was just wondering why not leave the stock coils in the rear and install air bags inside the coils. It will give you the ability to customize your ride height and carrying capacity. They are not expensive and pretty easy to install. Look at summit racing for some air bags. I installed bags inside the rear coils on my Wifes FJ cruiser because we can pull our off road camping trailer or just adjust for a better ride. I also installed toytec front suspension and adjusted lift. The toytec system rides sooo much better off and on road regardless of the load.

CT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts