Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the cartridge-type oil filter used on the 2011 FJ a type where 100% of the oil is forced through the filter 100% of the time, or is there some type of bypass mechanism in it so not all the oil gets filtered 100% of the time?

Just wondering.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
use genuine toyota oil filters

I definitely intend to do that. I am just wondering if the cartridge system, which I am not familiar with at all, has any sort of bypass mechanism like the screw on style filters do.

I always have wondered why not filter all of the oil every single time it passes through the filter? If the FJ does, isn't it a better approach?

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
353 Posts
1. The cartridge filter works exactly the same as a spin-on filter. Only diff is you/we change just the element instead of the whole assembly.

2. The filter won't "pass" enuf oil w/o getting damaged to allow 100% oil flow all the time. Esp during cold starts and cold running when the oil is thick and doesn't flow very well.

As of late I've had several of my customers (I'm a Porsche tech, do all Euro cars to stay alive these days) take their "cartridge filter" Euro cars to the "quicky oil change" places (pick one, I've seen this from all of them, there's a sticker in the window. I know who [email protected]#$%$d up your car) to save a few bucks. Now, what do you think the chances are that Spiffy Lube has the correct cartridge filter and is willing to follow the "process" (very similar to the '10 and '11 FJ system) to change the filter on an 06 2.0 Turbo VW Jetta? I'm going with Zip and Nada since the last few cartridge filters I've pulled out of Euro cars (with quicky lube style stickers) have been collapsed/sucked flat from being plugged.

Thinking about it, this is why there is a "bypass system". The motor still got lubed with motor oil it just didn't get filtered......

YMMV RON

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. The cartridge filter works exactly the same as a spin-on filter. Only diff is you/we change just the element instead of the whole assembly.

2. The filter won't "pass" enuf oil w/o getting damaged to allow 100% oil flow all the time. Esp during cold starts and cold running when the oil is thick and doesn't flow very well.

As of late I've had several of my customers (I'm a Porsche tech, do all Euro cars to stay alive these days) take their "cartridge filter" Euro cars to the "quicky oil change" places (pick one, I've seen this from all of them, there's a sticker in the window. I know who [email protected]#$%$d up your car) to save a few bucks. Now, what do you think the chances are that Spiffy Lube has the correct cartridge filter and is willing to follow the "process" (very similar to the '10 and '11 FJ system) to change the filter on an 06 2.0 Turbo VW Jetta? I'm going with Zip and Nada since the last few cartridge filters I've pulled out of Euro cars (with quicky lube style stickers) have been collapsed/sucked flat from being plugged.

Thinking about it, this is why there is a "bypass system". The motor still got lubed with motor oil it just didn't get filtered......

YMMV RON
Thanks for the info. You will not ever find me at "Spitty Gluebe" ... I can just see someone putting dinosaur 10W-30 in my 2011 FJ and not changing the filter because they don't have one. Ack! Either my Toyota dealer will do it or I will do it using a Toyota filter.

It does sort of scare me that not all the oil gets filtered every time given the 10k mile oil change interval. It seems like, in theory, a metal particle could float around until the next oil change. It didn't bother me so much when oil changes were every 3k ... but 10k makes me wonder.

Thanks for the great info.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
10,000 miles between oil changes? I don't think so. My '11 says 5,000. It gets done every 3,000 any way.

Jerry:cheers:

·
Registered
493 Posts
2010 and 2011 oil change interval, with the synthetic 0W-20 is 10K miles.
OCI with dino is still 5K.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
26 Posts
forget that 10 thousand or 5 thousand mile change interval,i'm doing it every 4 months in the mild months but in the summer months july and august i'll do it once a month,with bumper to bumper traffic it's hard on the motor.imagine the heat and then imagine the heat under the hood and the motor runnin

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
forget that 10 thousand or 5 thousand mile change interval,i'm doing it every 4 months in the mild months but in the summer months july and august i'll do it once a month,with bumper to bumper traffic it's hard on the motor.imagine the heat and then imagine the heat under the hood and the motor runnin
I gotta say, driving in city traffic or anything other than "easy" highway miles, the 10k interval scares me. I think I will stick with 5k max, and in summer in Florida in city traffic, I might even go back to 3k or 4k.

Maybe I am paranoid.:simmadown:

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
on this topic of oil change intervals, i keep hearing different numbers for my 2010 from different people at the dealership. some say 10k and others 5k. also some say it comes from the factory with synthetic while others say regular oil. who/what is correct?

also assuming my 2010 came with synthetic, is it ok to switch to regular oil with shorter 3-5k oil change intervals?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
on this topic of oil change intervals, i keep hearing different numbers for my 2010 from different people at the dealership. some say 10k and others 5k. also some say it comes from the factory with synthetic while others say regular oil. who/what is correct?

also assuming my 2010 came with synthetic, is it ok to switch to regular oil with shorter 3-5k oil change intervals?
From the 2010 Toyota FJ Maintenance Schedule:

"Toyota recommends obtaining scheduled maintenance for your vehicle every 5,000 miles or six months, whichever
comes first."

10k oil change intervals, except 5k oil change intervals if the statement below applies:

"Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for a long distance such as police, taxi or door-to-door delivery use:
Replace engine oil and oil filter."

The oil is 0W-20:

"NOTE: Your vehicle is factory filled and certified with Genuine Toyota 0W20 motor oil. For VEHICLES CERTIFIED FOR 0W20 motor oil, the oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 12 months IF 0W20 MOTOR OIL IS BEING USED.

If 0W20 is not available, 5W20 mineral oil may be used. However, it must be replaced at 5,000 miles or 6 month INTERVAL with 0W20 motor oil.

For customers who primarily drive their vehicle under any of the listed Special Operating Conditions, the motor oil and filter should be replaced at 5,000 miles or 6 months, REGARDLESS OF THE OIL USED (OR CERTIFICATION OF THE VEHICLE)."

2010 Maintenance Schedule attached.

-FJ Florida-

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
anyone who go's by the book is just lookin for trouble.toyota ain't gonna give u a new engine.4 months or 4000 miles in my book, if you do some research you will know your can't get regular oil in 0 w20 weight, 0 w20 only comes synthetic

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 2011 and luckily for me I live on a dirt road. Official Toyo maintainance says change oil and filter every 5000 for dirt or dusty road driving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts